need to buy a fire suit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to buy a fire suit

I want to do the 24 hours of lemons in October. The rules require a fire suit and it'd be a good idea to have one anyway. What is the life expectancy of a good suit? Can I buy one now and keep it forever? Is buying used a viable option? I tried to look up NHRA requirements based on et but couldn't figure it out. It shouldn't be too long before I have an 8 second drag car. Someday I'd like to do Bonneville. Maybe Maxton, Silverstate... If a suit will last I'd like to buy one that will work for all of the above. Any suggestions?

Brian

Re: need to buy a fire suit

It should last a good long while. Get a 2 layer suit so the Lemons people won't make you wear nomex longjohns.

Comment

Firesuits come in many flavors...

They are measured against a time standard of fire retartant so each company has different ways of getting to that time... Layers while interesting don't have much merit... read the tag... if it's a SFI 5 it's fairly light and with the ECTA you can only 175mph in it... to get over that you need an SFI 15 but if you run a blown car expect it to be a SFI 20...

So my recommendation to everyone is to buy a 20 up front... they are 800 bucks but they are the "real deal" and HOT like 14 mo fo's on a Hot Day... and wonderful on a VERY cold day...

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
        .. HOT like 14 mo fo's on a Hot Day.
        Is that an international standardized method of measure ?
        ;D

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
          Originally posted by KeithTurk
          .. HOT like 14 mo fo's on a Hot Day.
          Is that an international standardized method of measure ?
          ;D
          Yeah, I'm looking in my ANSI, NACA, SFI, SAE, NIST, and Standards Engineering Society and I just can't seem to find that unit of measure. What kind of a scale are we looking at here...1-20 with 1 being 1 mo-fo on a cold day and 20 being 20 mo-fos on fire?
          1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
          1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by btp76
            I want to do the 24 hours of lemons in October. The rules require a fire suit and it'd be a good idea to have one anyway. What is the life expectancy of a good suit? Can I buy one now and keep it forever? Is buying used a viable option? I tried to look up NHRA requirements based on et but couldn't figure it out. It shouldn't be too long before I have an 8 second drag car. Someday I'd like to do Bonneville. Maybe Maxton, Silverstate... If a suit will last I'd like to buy one that will work for all of the above. Any suggestions?

Brian
            I am a Bell/Pyrotect distributor. If you just wnat some advice or want to talk about suits, shoot me a PM/email.

Comment

I would not get a 20 for Lemons. If you want to stay in the car for 3 or 4 hours it could get bad.

We got Racequip stuff for our Lemons adventure and they fit really well. Like they told us, "They're cut for Americans, non sissy Europeans." See http://www.racequip.com

Comment

I like Keith's point of buy it once and don't worry about it...

I like David's about overdoing it and being comfortable...

Should I buy a moderate general purpose suit for now and step up to a 20 if and when I go for the 2 club?

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                  I would not get a 20 for Lemons. If you want to stay in the car for 3 or 4 hours it could get bad.

We got Racequip stuff for our Lemons adventure and they fit really well. Like they told us, "They're cut for Americans, non sissy Europeans." See http://www.racequip.com

There are a lot of fat american guys in Pyrotect suits with no complaints, lmao!

Seriously, I think you are right... A 5 would work fine in this instance...

Comment

Working...
                  X