No announcement yet.

Favorite car that one of your parent's owned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad had a 65 Mustang 2+2 with a cobra-ized 289 and 4 speed. Went like crazy and I remember mom getting into a couple of stoplight drags with me in it! Mom could drive! Still love early fastback Mustangs and mom still hassels dad about selling that car..in 1980.
    Last edited by starterguy; August 27, 2013, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      you're too hard on your parents, Pdub....
      Here's a real short story I decided to capture one day and put on my site years ago. In the first paragraph, when I said I didn't want it, that's what that means. They were offering to give me that car being as to how that's they way they worked. I said no, but I found them some money for it....

My mom and dad decided years ago to replace one of their cars, the one my mom drove. They called me to ask if I wanted it. I didn't. This was a huge Oldsmobile, a Delta 88 I think. I always called the car a school bus. It was so big- yellow- BIG. I didn't want it. I promised to spread the word around to help them move it.
      For sale, ten-year-old car with 28,000 miles, always garaged with service records attached. Perfect paint and bodywork. Never smoked in. All original. For a song. The first person I told about it...he bought it. It was a guy who works at the same place I do.
      I took him into town to seal the deal. He paid my parents in cold cash and away we went. We hit the four-lane highway out of town, and I was following him. Mom's school bus emitted a huge cloud of black smoke. My friend had put his foot into that four-barrel carburetor to a point where my mom had never been. He was giving this poor old un-driven Olds its first Italian tune-up. After a mile or so, Mom's school bus was out of sight. That's how this guy drives to start with.
      Several weeks later I ran into the guy at work and asked him how Mom's car was performing. He said he'd driven the thing for a week when the radiator got clogged up. Not only did he blow all the carbon out of the engine, he'd shaken all the crud loose in the radiator. He had to get it cleaned out at a shop. A day or so after he got the car back, the water pump blew all the seals. Back to the shop again.
      The guy was telling the story to his dad. His dad reflected on all the trouble- "Well, you know, that happens a lot. When you put that new antifreeze in there and it hits those old parts, it blows things out."
      My friend responded, "Well, Daddy, I looked all over town to find some USED antifreeze, but nobody had any!!"
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Ahhh... Best car my folks owned was the 70 Buick Skylark, 350/4 barrel.. First auto that chirped hitting 2nd gear!

Comment

Don't know if I can do just one, but probably Mom's '62 Buick Special (NOT a Skylark) convert, black over black with a red interior. I got to drive it after school, on dates, etc. I worked at the Buick dealer then and I maintained it - perfectly. Kept it washed and waxed at all times. It was a V6/Dual Path (2 speed auto, NOT a Powerglide). That was a sweet little car and I still love it. Or at least the memory of it.

Dad had a '63 Tempest 326 that he got a good deal on so he bought it (his usual criteria). That was a fast little devil but I loved the Special way more.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            it was also an automatic...
            oh god LOL i think it may have been slower then my 22 second diplomat lol
            Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
            Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Damn this is hard- my parents have had cars in my lifetime that I loved (my dads red 94 extended cab toyota 4x4, and my moms 03 honda[back seats folded flat, I was in high school...]), but to have any it would come down to 2 that I cant decide.

Either my moms first car- a 69 AMC Rebel, with a 304/auto. My grandfather bought it for her for college, and had the seat custom upholstered so she could see over the hood, and as he did for all the girls after, 4-point aircraft seat harnesses from his airforce buddies. I wish a real photo of this one existed, she ditched it shortly after for a VW bus.

Or my dads first car- a 66 Nova SS283/4 speed. red, all the SBC fun stuff of the 70s. totalled it getting air on a local bridge one rainy night.
              Local person
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                Don't know if I can do just one, but probably Mom's '62 Buick Special (NOT a Skylark) convert, black over black with a red interior. I got to drive it after school, on dates, etc. I worked at the Buick dealer then and I maintained it - perfectly. Kept it washed and waxed at all times. It was a V6/Dual Path (2 speed auto, NOT a Powerglide). That was a sweet little car and I still love it. Or at least the memory of it.

Dad had a '63 Tempest 326 that he got a good deal on so he bought it (his usual criteria). That was a fast little devil but I loved the Special way more.

Dan
                my first car was as 62 Skylark, not a Special - it wasn't special in any way - matter of fact, it was kind of a POS.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

This is easy...My Dad's 70 Mach 1. It was our family car until 1979 when he traded it in on a new LTD. I cried for 2 days, vowing to get my own someday. Took me until 1985 to get mine. This picture is from 1977, that's me with the giant snowball...I was 8 years old.

1977 DAD-MACH1-ME001 by Joe Grippo, on Flickr
                  Time Wasters...
                  http://public.fotki.com/JoeGrippo/
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_grippo/sets/
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeGrippo?feature=mhum

Comment

Dad had a string of Olds wagons... the 1st I remember was the 66, then the 69(both Vista Cruisers White with the faux wood grain trim, big rockets and three seats) then came the 72 Custom Cruiser with the 455, and the clamshell rear door(another white w/wood grain, three seater) found it's way to Germany... when Dad bought his last car...a 76 Custom Cruiser with one of the last 455s produced...he passed 10 months later
                    my favorite of all times however was the 60 Ford Starliner hardtop with the Four on the floor(Black with red interior and a Hurst shifter with a red metallic acrylic shift knob...us kids called it the Batmobile... he taught me how to drive in it on the junk yard road...
                    Last edited by silver_bullet; August 27, 2013, 04:14 PM.
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                      nerdmobiles
                      Gail's mom was actually kind-of a hottie with that Stude...somewhere there's a photo of her with it. She had her bosses at Universal Studios chasing her all the time.

Although I loved our '58 wagon, the big deal was when mom/dad brought home the brand-new '67, deep metallic blue. I was some proud kid. Dad always waxed his cars every six months, I was right there with the can of Westley's and a clean rag to do the grille and hubcaps...you couldn't screw those up too bad, even at seven years old.

This pic is probably from around '72 when I got my Kodak Instamatic for $7. In the background is the home-built travel trailer we took out a half-dozen times during the year and two weeks each summer. It went all over the western states probably twice over. Generally I took possession of the rear-facing seat area with my notebooks, car mags and cheap souvenirs while my brother had the middle seat, out of picking-on range either way. Behind the Chevy is, I believe, my sister's 914, she was older and moved out by then.

Dad sold the wagon when he bought a Ford Van in '74, to a guy who painted it silver and did some far-out mods to it. Slot mags, side pipes, red interior with T-bird bucket seats. That is something I wish I'd come across again.

I have Dad's van now, anyhow. They had made it into a camper and took it as far as Fairbanks Alaska to the north and the Panama Canal south in the mid/late-seventies, and otherwise nearly lived in it for the first ten years of their retirement. When he went to get rid of it finally last year, I told him "no, if it's all the same, would you mind just parking it here?" However I'm afraid it's not first on the list for me, there were the wagons, the '59 and then a '72 Chevelle they also bought new.
                      Last edited by Loren; August 27, 2013, 04:26 PM.

Comment

I would probably have to go with Dad's '73 Mach 1. Was a 351C 4V, 4 speed, 3.89 Locker, Drag Pack car. Beautiful car in Dark Green Metallic with Argent striping and spoilers. Black vinyl interior was sticky in the summers, but man who cares when you are cruising with Dad at 10 years old.
                        Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

My dad had a 62 pontiac bonneville with a 389 in it. I loved that car but was pretty much too young to have appreciated it. In 69 my dad bought a 3/4 chev truck with the 396 c.i. in it. Damn that was a strong tire burning machine. In 71 dad bought a datsun 510 with a 4 banger in it, 5 speed manual. Loved that car too! Of all my cars I had, the one I wish I had back was my 78 Pontiac Trans Am, 400, 4 spd, hurst t tops, black of course with the gold bird and striping!
                          Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

ever since I can remember my dad has always had cool trucks, mostly fords all early to 70s to early 80s F100s, at one time he had a bad ass 74 chevy step side, charcoal grey, 15x8 - 15x10 painted to match rallys with trim rings, glass pack exhaust, this was 1980 or 81

my mom had a brand new doo doo brown 77 camaro with beige interior, only car i was sad about them getting rid of, hated to ride in the back seat cause i couldnt see shit, but it was a cool car, I still remember the test drive, we ran out of gas bout 5 miles from the dealership going up a hill LOL
                            Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

my mom had a skyhawk that was pretty cool (76), but for cool cars - I'd have to go with her 61 Bug....
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

This one. '64 Buick Skylark Sportwagon. Notice the rear spoiler, but no roof rack. Dad ordered it that way. It kept the rear window clean.

On Dad's trip from Topeka to Fairbanks, AK. This was on the AlCan Hwy.
                                Last edited by Scott Liggett; August 27, 2013, 08:06 PM.
                                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X