No announcement yet.

Favorite car that one of your parent's owned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dad's 69 Camaro, the car that got me started in all of this before the age of 10. For my younger brother, it would be Dad's 65 Impala SS 396. I still drool over F-bodies while my brother is into large cars.

Mom's first car was a 59 Impala. Just a faded red 4dr. with a straight six and auto trans. I'd like to find another one for her to put around in after she retires.
    GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

Update. At my parents house tonight for dinner, started talking about this pic. Next thing I know my mom has her grandson and I out in the driveway getting a new pic of a father and his son washing the car. Same '67 Malibu, same driveway, same lady taking the pic. Thirty-plus years later, but now its the formerly little boy who is now the father of a little boy with curls that loves water.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03391.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	872059
      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Thats awesome Gene.
        Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

That's great stuff, Gene. I bet the little guy will cherish that pic when he's a Dad.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer View Post
            Update. At my parents house tonight for dinner, started talking about this pic. Next thing I know my mom has her grandson and I out in the driveway getting a new pic of a father and his son washing the car. Same '67 Malibu, same driveway, same lady taking the pic. Thirty-plus years later, but now its the formerly little boy who is now the father of a little boy with curls that loves water.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24254[/ATTACH]
            Gotta frame the 2 together with room for the 3rd , 30 more years!

Comment

My Mom had a 70 Boss 302. It was that metallic green color. I can still remember her powershifting it!. Years later she took my 69 Mach 1 for a drive. Did a huge burnout in front of all my car buddies. I wish she kept that Boss.
              used to be purplecobra, now just myself. I still drive a mustang!!!!!

Comment

Neither of my parents are "car" people.
                My dad had a VW Thing when he was stationed in HI... I guess I wouldn't mind having one of those.
                Mom, when I was about 4 or 5 got rid of a "station wagon" that turns out to have been a Nomad... I think it may have been around a 69. My only recollection of that car was that it made a noise like a rooster crowing when she shut it off. I think that's why she got rid of it and got a much smaller more economical Pinto wagon.
                After the Pinto came a brand new Chevette, then a used early 80's skylark with a 2.5, followed by a used 85 Toyota van.

Comment

Growing up with mostly just my mom. She was a single parent before it was the thing to do. My grandfather was a car dealer so there were always different cars in and out around the house. My favorite that I remember my mom owning was a 80ish Trans Am. I thought that was the coolest car ever when I was little. I was in elementary school at the time.

Then later in life she met and dated what I call my step dad. He had a really cool 1970 Mustang Mach I. I still to this day want one but never came across one I could afford, but I can thank him for teaching the basics about working on cars and that it is just nuts and bolts don't be scared of them. If it wasn't for him I probably wouldn't be a car guy.

Comment

This is a tough one. I would willingly kill for my dad's 69 ss396 chevelle, a former nhra stocker 425hp auto. but the one that i would like to have most was my mom's 66 buick widcat 4 speed convertable.
                    My grandfather worked for buick and that was all he ever owned. He told my mom and aunt that if you wanted to drive you would have to learn on his car. mom got her liscence and grandpa bought a new car for himself.
                    Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

Poor Mans Cobra

Back in about 68, my Dad bought this 51 Siata Daina cabriolet. It was all aluminum, body by Stabilimenti Farina of Italy, unit body construction, with a 4 banger and a 5 speed, and had a bashed in right front corner. Cost him $200

Then he got a rolled over, totaled out high perf 66 mustang, that cost him $400 with the agreement that he could take whatever he wanted and the junkyard would get the remainder back.

The Siata got the engine, trans, and seats from the Ford. He fabricated and welded in a tube steel frame to tie the front and rear suspension together, used the trans tunnel and part of the firewall from the mustang, and moved the firewall back 18".

The whole thing couldn't have weighed over 2400#, and he liked to pick on the the new muscle cars that his buddys at Chrysler (where he worked) were driving. It was fast for the time. Traction was a problem. I rode around with him a lot, but he only got on it a few times with me in the car. For a 9 year old, it was a real thrill when he went thru the gears with the engine roaring and the tires smoking, pinning me back in the seat! He sold it in about '72.

A couple years ago, I located the car, it is now in Europe and the dealer who had it sold it for big bucks. Some of the pics below are from back in the day, some are recent, as found in europe. In one of the pics, you can see where the floor is welded in, so I am sure it is the same car. I would love to have it, but I'm sure it would be cost prohibitive to find it, buy it, and ship it back here.

This is when he first got it:

This is after he fixed the front end. Not too bad for an ameture working on aluminum:

These are the recent pics in Belgium:

Last edited by Hemi Joel; August 30, 2013, 11:07 AM. Reason: lysdexsia

Comment

When I first met him (probably 1963 or 64) my buddy Norm had a Sciata roadster with a cobbled-in SBC. The car was never finished so I don't have much memory of it beyond that it existed.

It would be WAY cool if you could bring your Dad's back.

Dan

Comment

First new car my parent's bought was a '67 SS Chevelle with the 396/4 gear combo. After they had me they traded it in for a mundane family car. I still give them crap about it.
                          Nitrous is like that hot chick with crabs. you want to hit it, you're just afraid of the consequences

Comment

Dads 68 chevelle SS 396
                            Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

My Dad's Royal Plum '67 Chevelle SS 396 that he bought new:

My Mom scanned these pics,and they look better in person. I don't remember this car. In 1972,this car jumped out of gear and rolled down an embankment at a shopping center here. The frame was bent really bad so the car was totalled. I wasn't even 3 so I don't remember the car at all. I came home from the hospital in it though.
                              I drool every time I see a pic of a Royal Plum Chevelle. You don't see many that color at all.

The first pic is at the first house we lived in. My parents moved this house and built a new one in the same spot. The old house got moved to the edge of my grandparent's property just down the road. My grandparent's moved to "town" in 1989,and now my parents are moving too. It will be the first time in almost 75 years that some of my family won't live there.
                              My grandma is almost 95,and doing great. My Pappaw will be gone 8 years come the 27th. Sure do miss that man!

The 2nd pic is when the car was knew. It was taken at my Dad's parent's house. The house looks exactly the same today,but my grandparent's are both gone. My Dad's dad died 30 years ago last month,and my Grandma died in '07. The last few times I've been to the old place it has kinda bothered me. I just wish my grandparents were still sitting there on the couch. I miss them too. I wish I could do what Schtauffer did! That would be awesome.

Sorry to ramble. I'm just doing a little misty-eyed reminiscing.
                              sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

That is a beautiful car and a great story, well except for the rolling down a bank part.

And I wish my dad had bought big block cars... oh well...

I'm a lucky one.
                                The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Working...
                                X