Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a car that has been a magazine have more value to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a car that has been a magazine have more value to you?

I see this all the time. People selling their rod, muscle car, or whatever and they have the mag with their car in it. Whether it be a feature article, or just some candid shot from a show or a cruise.

Does this make it more valuable to you? Would pay extra for the car just because it's had mag coverage? It could be just some random pics, or be as popular as Dobbertin's Pro Stree car having multiple mag coverage?

Personally, I just think it's an interesting footnote on the car's life, but I won't give a dollar more for a car because of it. My own Impala has been in multiple mags. I don't think that makes it work more. It sure doesn't elevate it above POS status.

What are your guys/gals thoughts?
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Hell no, it aint worth a dime more...
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Depends on the meaning of "value". If it's a famous feature vehicle like Scott Sullivan's Cheez Whiz 55 Chevy or Dobbertin's Nova, then I believe it would be more of a value at resale. Even a project car like the Crusher Camaro would be worth more at resale. Those car would always carry the previous owners name, regardless of the current caretaker. But a car I built myself, the way I wanted would be worth more in sheer fun and satisfaction.

Comment

Monetary value .... No!

Bragging rights .... Maybe ...
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Has been a magazine? You mean, in a magazine?

There's so much garbage out there in car-land...having been a feature car in a magazine implies it's passed some-kind of test such as, writers-editors-publishers believe that is it good or interesting enough that people should plunk down the price of the mag to see it. Then, having been in a mag with it's pic all over the place adds to the human interest and therefore value (the part where it's worth what ever somebody is willing to pay for it, and that only needs to be one guy).

Just a general small pic, hmmm...hard to say. More of a keepsake for the owner.

Just a small pic of one of mine seemed to help an insurance adjuster along with his numbers when it got backed into later, it was interesting to see the attitude change, so I'd say it wasn't without it's value.

Comment

Having your car in a magazine simply increases the number of eyes who might desire your car.
            Once you've had that kind of exposure - that's a great time to sell.

It's called striking while the iron is hot.
            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

No ... nuff said.

Comment

Since nobody buys magazines anymore ...will not be a problem

Comment

For me it wouldn't increase monetary value - but it IS pretty cool. And Scott L - you have one of the best POSes on the planet!

Dan

Comment

I wouldn't pay a dime more if it's been in a magazine, and it's never added any value to anything of mine that've been in magazines. Here's a different but similar scenario(?). Take 2 identical cars, then say one's owned by a big celebrity..........still identical cars, but you'll see fools go nuts at the auctions if someone famous farted in the POS.
                    STUGOTS

Comment

hmmm depends on the car and if it was a project car that spanned a few issues or just a spot light

a spot light probably not a project car maybe
                      Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                      Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

For me buying, some but not much. For me selling,....a little more than some. Just because of being able to pull it out and be some what vindicated in the time and effort and cash dumped into it.
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

in this day and age of digital media theres going to be pics out there floating all over the intrawebs, just cause it was in print doesnt make it any more speacial than having it in some websites web coverage
                          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I wouldn't pay more cuz it was in a magazine...
                            Helps to sell.. To those who worship the Lindseys, Britneys, Kardasians and so on..
                            I will buy a car because I think it's a cool car, not cuz someone farted in/on, as Groucho says..
                            More than likely, I would change something on a car I buy to make it uniquely mine....

Comment

Being in print makes my car worth more to me. Since I'm not trying to sell, I guess it doesn't really matter if it changes the value for someone else.
                              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X