Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you only a "real" car guy if you turn your own wrenches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My car show "horror" story . . . When my "storebought" "Plan B" was still 100% stock, I detailed it (after open tracking it a couple of days before . . . and breaking a Chinese replacement front brake rotor!) and entered it into a stock 2011-2012 Mustang class in a popular vote All-Ford national show.

All of the other cars in class were reasonably stock, except for one that had a $10,000 custom paint job, $3,000 billet wheels, aftermarket intake, hundreds in underhood dress-up items and other "Day 2" mods (not to mention a shapely girl actively campaigning for votes).

It was clear to all of the other class participants that this modified car garnered the bulk of the attention. From that, we all assumed it would win the popularity contest. It was patently unfair for such an obviously modified car to compete in a stock class when there was a modified class available.

But nobody would speak up.

So I became "that guy" and found the show officials to "rule" whether the car was properly classified. They reluctantly came by on their little golf cart, just shook their heads, and then did nothing. Weasels!

The "cheater" car won, of course. My car was voted second place.

Comment

Getting Disgusted with the H_MB...opinionated kids who can't change their own oil

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
        My car show "horror" story . . . When my "storebought" "Plan B" was still 100% stock, I detailed it (after open tracking it a couple of days before . . . and breaking a Chinese replacement front brake rotor!) and entered it into a stock 2011-2012 Mustang class in a popular vote All-Ford national show.

All of the other cars in class were reasonably stock, except for one that had a $10,000 custom paint job, $3,000 billet wheels, aftermarket intake, hundreds in underhood dress-up items and other "Day 2" mods (not to mention a shapely girl actively campaigning for votes).

It was clear to all of the other class participants that this modified car garnered the bulk of the attention. From that, we all assumed it would win the popularity contest. It was patently unfair for such an obviously modified car to compete in a stock class when there was a modified class available.

But nobody would speak up.

So I became "that guy" and found the show officials to "rule" whether the car was properly classified. They reluctantly came by on their little golf cart, just shook their heads, and then did nothing. Weasels!

The "cheater" car won, of course. My car was voted second place.
        That's like giving trophies to the cars in the showroom

Get Real Man
        you have to see the 67 stanger my buddy just bought ...I am searching for a used 5.7 Aluminum LS1 /4L60e for it !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
          Squirrel, there's the rub - I'm a hack, does that make me not a car guy? I try hard sometimes, still a hack.

Example, I don't "build" engines, I put together parts. Some of them may have been selected after a fair amount of thought, but they aren't ground breaking by any means. I really think about them a lot though. Does the checkbook guy understand what is happening with valve events? The more I learn, the more I know what a hack I really am.

If they're learning and don't act like they know it all, I'd say Car Guy. If they "know it all" already and don't really know and won't try to learn, then it's "Just another a-hole"... who might like cars. haha.
          this is me

worst is i do this to k-cars i use other factory parts that are better then some factory parts i mean who else would look at a caravan and go "oooooo i want those 12" brake rotors for the lebaron so i can replace the 9" ones and they bolt on!!!"

lol
          Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
          Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Originally posted by Mater View Post
            i mean who else would look at a caravan and go "oooooo i want those 12" brake rotors for the lebaron so i can replace the 9" ones and they bolt on!!!"

lol
            You are nuts...and the epitome of a hot rodder. Great job
            I'm still learning

Comment

caravans=speed parts

Last edited by Mater; September 5, 2013, 03:26 PM.
              Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Originally posted by Mater View Post
                caravans=speed parts

but what do you do with the complimentary skirt?
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  but what do you do with the complimentary skirt?
                  Stick your head under it (like a little kid... it's a pg site... good grief. ) and ask it's owner to do your wiring harness.... HA!
                  Last edited by Beagle; September 5, 2013, 03:51 PM.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

and it's a kilt a manly manly pink pokadotted skir errr kilt
                    Last edited by Mater; September 5, 2013, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                      checkbook racer vs. garbage built.... no, we can't all get along. Seriously, get over it....
                      That's funny..........
                      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Every one of my car projects go the same route.
                        I tear everything apart in my garage...........using baggies to mark parts etc.

Then I usually send either car out for paint job, seats for upholstery, engine out for rebuild etc.

I then bring everything back into garage so I can put it back together.
                        The '55 Chevy got a little complicated with the 409 install and I had to call in buddies for some help.

I'm not one that does a 2 year project.........I shoot for 6 months or less.
                        Hell I'd forget where everything went.

Wish I had body and engine re build skills.
                        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Still makes you a car guy... Nevermind your car is so droolworthy... If it was a POS... You would still be a car guy!
                          Right?

Do you think you are an assembler?
                          Really! It takes a car guy to do what you did..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                            Still makes you a car guy... Nevermind your car is so droolworthy... If it was a POS... You would still be a car guy!
                            Right?

Do you think you are an assembler?
                            Really! It takes a car guy to do what you did..
                            I can re wire a car and do lots of the smaller stuff.........I learned how to buff out stainless from
                            an old gent years ago.

I usually have a vision for the finished product.
                            Last edited by Monk; September 5, 2013, 04:57 PM.
                            Thom

Comment

I know my comments from the front page helped fuel this post.

I do hold a guy who does as much as he can on his car above the guy who just rights a check,but to be honest I never thought about the guy with the check being able to that leval of work and just not wanting too...
                              Im still at the point that if I want it done I have to do it.

Comment

You don't have to turn your own wrenches to be a 'car guy'. You just need to appreciate the machine. A guy buying a 1969 GTO for what it was is a 'car guy". My film director client who had me build an authentic aluminum-bodied D-type Jag replica was a full-on car guy, though he didn't touch the thing. Same with the guy that had me build his Aston DBS V-8; total car guy, but wasn't the one who put the car together.
                                -dulcich

Comment

Working...
                                X