Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you only a "real" car guy if you turn your own wrenches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dulcich View Post
    You don't have to turn your own wrenches to be a 'car guy'. You just need to appreciate the machine. A guy buying a 1969 GTO for what it was is a 'car guy". My film director client who had me build an authentic aluminum-bodied D-type Jag replica was a full-on car guy, though he didn't touch the thing. Same with the guy that had me build his Aston DBS V-8; total car guy, but wasn't the one who put the car together.
    -dulcich
    With me it's the time factor...........I don't have much traveling and all.

Years ago when I started to build my first house, I did a lot.
    After flipping a couple........I started to sub out most everything.
    Just didn't have the time.

With cars I think it's much the same.........your clients would probably love to have
    more involvement with the project. Just not enough time.
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
      you have to see the 67 stanger my buddy just bought ...I am searching for a used 5.7 Aluminum LS1 /4L60e for it !!!!
      I'd expect nothing less from a Jersey boy.

I'm going to enjoy beatin' the crap out of pointless LESS butcher jobs like that one with my Thunderbird . . . . Man up! Put a FORD in your FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclone03 View Post
        I know my comments from the front page helped fuel this post.

I do hold a guy who does as much as he can on his car above the guy who just rights a check,but to be honest I never thought about the guy with the check being able to that leval of work and just not wanting too...
        Im still at the point that if I want it done I have to do it.
        A boss once asked me "When your time's worth $200-$400 an hour, why do you want to waste it hacking at $50 an hour work?" My weak answer wasn't worth minimum wage.

That being said, I've wasted a whole lot of time on this hobby/sport.
        Last edited by 38P; September 6, 2013, 12:49 AM.

Comment

this thread had me wondering something this morning. I love good carpentry, but I'm not a cabinet or furniture maker. I can build a doghouse, but I'm not a carpenter. My great grandfather would have burned it for scrap. I know the fundamentals about some building techniques but I'd be hard pressed to turn that into reality. I don't even know what they call a "wood guy" although I've met real some craftsmen. What would that make me? A wood owner?
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
            this thread had me wondering something this morning. I love good carpentry, but I'm not a cabinet or furniture maker. I can build a doghouse, but I'm not a carpenter. My great grandfather would have burned it for scrap. I know the fundamentals about some building techniques but I'd be hard pressed to turn that into reality. I don't even know what they call a "wood guy" although I've met real some craftsmen. What would that make me? A wood owner?
            I know what I am....a SAWDUST MAKER!
            Metal is easy.. Wood is hard!

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
              A boss once asked me "When your time's worth $200-$400 an hour, why do you want to waste it hacking at $50 an hour work?" My weak answer wasn't worth minimum wage.

That being said, I've wasted a whole lot of time on this hobby/sport.
              maybe if you were better at working on cars...
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                blessed without another distraction?
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I don't care for the ones that win shows when thier club is the judges. Or the "check book" guy that claims he did all the work,and gets really nasty when someone calls them on it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
                    I'd expect nothing less from a Jersey boy.

I'm going to enjoy beatin' the crap out of pointless LESS butcher jobs like that one with my Thunderbird . . . . Man up! Put a FORD in your FORD!
                    not a hip trend ...not at all

Comment

Working...
                    X