No announcement yet.

Popular Hot Rodding Magazine - Get Ready For Attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedy, judging by the amount of energy you've consistently put into dissing PHR, your problem with them is seriously personal. What happened, did they not notice your car, or you wanted to be a writer but were too, uh, intense? Or once as a child were you hurt by an LS motor? You other guys, what gives? You got two people here who are writers for PHR now and sometimes the editor comes in, and you want to get on here and tell 'em how much you think their work sucks when who the hell are you?

New flash: PHR cannot bring the past back for you, the world doesn't need another Elasped Times on top of a thirty-foot pile of actual old magazines, and anybody who found time for, what, 40,000 internet posts along with their "80 hour" work week ought to just go out and get an actual car and re-visit actual car life again instead of just looking back and whining about it forever.

Why aren't you bitching about Hot Rod, there's plenty in there to either like or hate? Scared of Mr. Frieburger? Since Johnny's not a scary guy you'll go after him with your wierd frustrations instead?

Oct. PHR has one of the most amazing articles I've read this year, about a foundry pattern maker who stepped up and worked out how to make his own version of what is to me (a Hemi owner) the holy grail of factory bad-ass motors, the Boss 429. It's there, it's all machined and running, coolant flows through it and it makes real horsepower...I love it. There's a Barracuda on the cover that could've been my first Nova if I'd had the good sense to keep it. There's a Mustang and a Chevelle that if you couldn't have built yourself by your age, you're a loser. Boo-hoo, 18-inch wheels make you cry? Five bolts too many to change? You better go back and find all your old 1968 Hot Wheels and figure out a way to put tinier wheels on them because at scale those suckers are 'way too bigger than 14's.

Flip through a PHR and look at the ads. See what's selling these days...anything you'd want to buy? Suspensions, frames, EFI? Of course not...where PHR has evolved to, an issue at a time, is simply down a different road then the one you're parked on. Tough luck, sucks to be you.

I am a lifelong magazine junkie, after catching up on the new ones I could spend four hours in a 1920's Sat. Evening Post. I just don't get what it takes for a person to pick up a new magazine that represents a bunch of work and is yet another source for a bunch of interesting information, and decide they have a problem with it (how, by god?) and need to get on here and be an ass over it. So F'n what...don't buy it then, "car-guy". Go find something else to bitch about.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post

, the world doesn't need another Elasped Times
      bawaaaaaahhhhhhh. Groucho NEED ET. Groucho WANT ET. PALEEEEEZE give Groucho more ET. Groucho want not lurn nu words and live in past. haha
      STUGOTS

Comment

I have to admit I don't read PHR now days. I'm just not really into the style of car they promote. That being said, they did do a 2 page feature on my drag car back in the mid 80's so I do have a bit of a soft spot for them....

Comment

this just in.... PHR is now quivering in their collective boots (or sandals)

oh wait
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I was never a PHR guy, nor particular reason, I just never bought it. I started reading it a few months ago I enjoy it. So I don't get what the big deal is?

Comment

The big deal is they ask for your comments on stuff and Jim has provided it free of charge. Now because they didn't like what they heard they cut his _ _ _ _ off. This has angered Big Jim . See in his avatar it says New Jersey....sounds dangerous.....see Bogota......really dangerous. Hey Jim just go and get 10 new cell phones and use a different three personas, that all agree with each other each day, you'll change the world.
              Last edited by Dan Barlow; September 7, 2013, 06:54 PM. Reason: added a comma
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

hee hee ...a goof , making fun of the checkbook cars and blingy manhole cover wheels makes the PHR guys cry

Comment

I recently let my PHR subscription lapse. I don't hate PHR, and they do have some interesting stuff sometimes (but I really dislike 20" wheels).

I think they started loosing their way when they sold off their crown jewel "Project X". That would be the equivalent of "Edelbrock corp" selling off Vic's old hi-boy.

I'm a hardcore print reader and my favorites are Hot Rod, HRD, and R&C. I can't imagine living without them in my mailbox every month.

Good luck PHR, don't want to see you go.

Comment

Originally posted by hotrodfords View Post
                    (but I really dislike 20" wheels).

Big wheels saves money on tires. LOL. (there can't possibly be any resale value in these cars)

Last edited by groucho; September 8, 2013, 07:25 AM.
                    STUGOTS

Comment

bad opinions are lack of dynamics.

I even tie in a 80s tin can to American hot rod repairs...
                      if you were "hurt by an LS engine as boy" as loren says...
                      you were a kid in 1999...or even younger.

You would have a few more years to go for real opinions.

I only subscribe through internet today, it is all good to me, even hating my screen with a scratch in it.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
                        Big wheels saves money on tires. LOL. (there can't possibly be any resale value in these cars)

I don't find any of that to be arty or crafty or tasteful. Somehow I can respect the skills it takes to do that to a car but find myself very confused by a mentality that would do that to a car. And what's with the theme crap. Who in their right mind paints their car to look like a video game of pack of cigarettes or a fast food clown?
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

I like PHR and will continue to buy it. Its unfortunate that they chose to censor Jim.

I've met and talked with Johnny, Steve, Chris Campbell and think the world of the publisher Ed and the rest of the staff. These guys do a great job, working on difficult timeframes.

I'm not surprised that in a drag-racing-centric environment, that a roadracing, pro-touring mag isn't the flavor of choice. However, I'm glad they exist and provide an alternative point of view. Allow those of us that have an interest that exceeds 1320 feet our small place in the publishing world. If they didn't exist I'd have to buy all my magazines from the UK.
                          I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                            After Buying Popular Hot Rodding Magazine for 35 years ...Due To Them Removing My Commenting Ability on FB ...I am Boycotting PHR and the nerds who work there ...store bought cars with 200lb rims on them
                            You got to realize the performance industry is dying and these people blame everyone but themselves for it happening. They are so caught up in their own bullshit that they believe the comments of one guy on the internet is going to hurt their business, when in reality they are the ones hurting their business by stomping on people's rights of freedom of speech. I can guarantee you that the babblings of one person on the internet isn't going to hurt your business, but as soon as you the business ban someone for what they say, you'll look like the bad guy for not respecting the person's right to freedom of speech. When I grew up there was a saying, "stick and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me". Seems to me people can learn from this and grow some thicker skin.

And realize Spidey, it's their loss, not yours.
                            The Green Machine.
                            http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

that is a pretty big stretch TC. They may have simply gotten tired of 20,000 one liners trying to pick a fight.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                                that is a pretty big stretch TC. They may have simply gotten tired of 20,000 one liners trying to pick a fight.
                                What does it matter, it's the internet, you know there's a real world out there. Which reminds me time to go become part of it.
                                The Green Machine.
                                http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X