Popular Hot Rodding Magazine - Get Ready For Attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popular Hot Rodding Magazine - Get Ready For Attack

After Buying Popular Hot Rodding Magazine for 35 years ...Due To Them Removing My Commenting Ability on FB ...I am Boycotting PHR and the nerds who work there ...store bought cars with 200lb rims on them

Yeah... that'll teach em!
    I can see you're semi-pissed by only typing the first letters of most words with a capital, and not all letters with capital...

What's fb anyway?
    www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

thank you Barney Fife - punctuation cop
      FACEBOOK ...PHR took away my commenting ability
      My rips are not appreciated

Comment

There's nothing "popular" anymore about Popular Hot Rodding.

The strip had a nice race/show. Western Fuel Altered's Nitro cars / Alky cars plus a nice sized show. The pics are not great due to the suns position and my

It stinks that the fine print in their annual "Photo Contest" doesn't allow entries of anything based on a car newer than 1980. I guess automaking ended with Jimmy Carter in the PHR section of the SIM "Cube Hive."

Other than the occasional contributions from Dulcich and perhaps Lohnes, "Pop Rod" is merely a thin, scratchy, overpriced shadow of its former self. Nothing to see there. Move along.

Comment

Because Hunkins is probably too busy picking out billet "dubs" to snark back a response , I'll paste up one of his old chestnuts for him . . . .

Originally posted by Johnny Hunkins View Post
          The guy insults me, then wants me to email him? Sure, I'll get right on that.

Comment

Just yanking the ole chain SGM.
            Anyone should have the right to hear one's ramblin's...

I've been bc'ing fb since day one. Hate that greadbag organisation to the bone.
            Even refuse to type fb with capitals. ;)
            www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I like PHR. They probably don't like your snide FB comments. I let it slide on my own FB page, but every single FB post you make is some bitter gripe every time someone else is doing something worth talking about. Literally, 100% of them. I know it's just how you are, but that doesn't fly with everyone out there.
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Too bad I don't have time to update this data . . . .

From 2011 (I'd be surprised if things have improved)

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
                . . . Popular Hot Rodding is a business based on PAID CIRCULATION. PAID CIRCULATION is, of course, a valid measure of actual readers "voting" with their subscription and newsstand dollars.

So let's see how "Pop Rod" has faired. The U.S. Postal Service makes this easy by requiring magazines to annually certify (under threat of jail time and fines) their PAID CIRCULATION numbers and other data:

Back when "Pop Rod" was more of a balanced, "real world," general interest hot rodding magazine, it used to post these average monthly PAID CIRCULATION numbers:

1987: 242,046 (Source: PHR, Jan. 1988 )
                1988: 248,767 (Source: PHR, Jan. 1989)
                1989: 236,649 (Source: PHR, Jan. 1990)
                1990: 225,141 (Source: PHR, Jan. 1991)
                1991: 214,770 (Source: PHR, Jan. 1992) (Note: The U.S. was in an economic recession after the Gulf War)
                1992: 205,483 (Source: PHR, Jan. 1993)
                1993: 202,546 (Source: PHR, Jan. 1994)
                1995: 208,999 (Source: PHR, Dec. 1995)

Although there was a slight downward trend, "Pop Rod's" PAID CIRCULATION numbers for each year were more than 200,000.

Fast forward to the emergence of the big-budget pro-touring "captivity" of PHR:

2003: 172,469 (Source: PHR, Jan. 2004)(Note: this is near the beginning of Mr. Hunkins tenure at Editor)
                2011: 107,299 (Source: Current issue of PHR)

IN SHORT, POPULAR HOT RODDING MAGAZINE HAS LOST ROUGHLY 38 PERCENT OF ITS PAID CIRCULATION DURING THE HUNKINS ERA. It's down nearly 50 percent from when its editorial content was more balanced and "real world."

"Hunk's Posse" will undoubtedly respond with various excuses for the decline. . . competition from the internet . . . corporate shuffles . . . the Source Interlink bankruptcy . . . the "Great Recession" . . . . So by way of comparison, let's look at Hot Rod's reported average monthly PAID CIRCULATION numbers for the same time period:

2003: 723,248
                2011: 649,181

HOT ROD ONLY LOST APPROXIMATELY TEN PERCENT OF ITS PAID CIRCULATION WHILE FACING THE VERY SAME HEADWINDS. Ironically, despite a much better sales performance than PHR, Rob Kinnan's pounding the pavement . . . .

[I]t could be argued that the real icon ruined in the Hunkins big-budget, pro-touring era is POPULAR HOT RODDING MAGAZINE itself. "Pop Rod" just isn't that "popular" anymore.

Comment

I still associate phr with the Independent rear suspension videos.

what is this stuck in 1980 stuff?

I don't give any journalism any slack at all.
                  at least they are doing something related.

I know generational changes, 1980... what happened there? the first of feedback electronics for carbs is all I can think of.

some went into the 90s with or without controller.

weird choice for cutoff year.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 5, 2013, 12:44 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Out in my real garage w/ my real tools & machines where I stay busy with my real car projects '40s-'90's, has always been a couple of issues of PHR. It's helpful for an enjoyable/productive environment, not an end in itself. Nothing I could do any better than they as far as getting a periodical into the mailbox each month, so I got nothing to write to Johnny about.

I sent Doug Marion a letter once... Guess he was too busy to answer so I left it at that.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                      I like PHR. They probably don't like your snide FB comments. I let it slide on my own FB page, but every single FB post you make is some bitter gripe every time someone else is doing something worth talking about. Literally, 100% of them. I know it's just how you are, but that doesn't fly with everyone out there.
                      I have a good time with it
                      I don't believe in censorship of any kind

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar View Post
                        Just yanking the ole chain SGM.
                        Anyone should have the right to hear one's ramblin's...

I've been bc'ing fb since day one. Hate that greadbag organisation to the bone.
                        Even refuse to type fb with capitals. ;)
                        I open myself up to the NSA spy program to share my children's photos and break balls

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                          I open myself up to the NSA spy program to share my children's photos and break balls
                          The rest of the world would consider you just being a dick. If Popular Hotrodding doesn't want you posting on FB, they can do it... That freedom thing is a two way street. Their FB page, not your page... Protest all you want...

Comment

Yes, PHR sucks. Nothing in it for me. CC's, only good to see when to expect the new Elapsed Times. A surprisingly good rag from a mag that sucks. HR's OK, but if they raise the price one more penny I'm gone from it too. LOL. I get an offer renewal every other month for the entire 2 year subscription. Hey, right hand, tell the left hand WTF you're doing.
                            STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                              After Buying Popular Hot Rodding Magazine for 35 years ...Due To Them Removing My Commenting Ability on FB ...I am Boycotting PHR and the nerds who work there ...store bought cars with 200lb rims on them
                              Shame on you for waiting 35 yrs for this. LOL. BTW, gonna post on your behalf on FB right now
                              Last edited by groucho; September 5, 2013, 02:51 PM.
                              STUGOTS

Comment

Working...
                              X