Found a private junkyard today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a private junkyard today

I was heading out to a tiny town to buy a used fridge and came across this place on the way. It looks to be private collection, not a salvage yard. There is a house and barn on the property, but doesn't look like anyone has lived there in years.

This old truck, '70's Camaro and '60's Coupe de Ville were the first things I saw. Then that old Massey-Harris combine.

The late 40's Caddy and Studey are nearly flying away here.

This old Kearney Airport service International truck was really cool.

I walked around the corner to see the back yard and literally went "Holy Shit!!" when I saw all these Caddy's and a few Buicks.

There's a trio of Buick Electras under the trees here.

This old Farmall got knocked over by the pile of tractor engines.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Neato!
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Last pic is an International RD 401-426 or 501 6 cylinder.. Goes in that yellow IH truck in earlier pics

Edit: the red engine...
      Last edited by Deaf Bob; September 5, 2013, 09:18 PM.

Comment

That flying away "Caddy" is a Buick. Nice find.

Comment

At least they avoided Cash for Clunckers.
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Sad to see such classic cars and trucks just rusting away.

Some people just hang on to this stuff way to long thinking it will become more valuable as time goes on.

Collecting old cars and trucks is one thing but just collecting them to let them rust away is crazy.

Jimbo

Comment

that is a nice find.
              some of the dashboards are still smelled before you get to the car...1970s etc.
              We had a pile in the little town we lived in. 1940s Air force cars included.
              Driving atv around as a teen, we pretty much ignored most of it.
              a Pontiac silver streak got my attention every time.

I live for the beam spanning the b-pillars as a real frame, one of these old cars may have given me the idea to make my own for a tin can a long time ago. I wonder how many years it sat there without a 1/16th inch loss in any direction

Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 6, 2013, 06:19 AM.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Nice find Scott. Any chance of hooking up with the owner? It would be nice to save at least some of the parts.

Dan

Comment

I would like to get a 500 from one of those Caddys. I guess I might ask one of his neighbors if they know the owner.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

everything is online these days. Check the County website see if they have GIS and look up the owners name and address.
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                      everything is online these days. Check the County website see if they have GIS and look up the owners name and address.
                      While thats possible, nothing beats person-to-person contact.
                      Local person
                      sigpic

Comment

Reminds me of my yard (nod here, to Boxer).

I wonder at what point my land of hope becomes just a local curiosity.

I better get busy...

Comment

Man, I love walking around in a place like that on a warm summer day.....

Comment

Originally posted by RustyRodder View Post
                            While thats possible, nothing beats person-to-person contact.
                            I agree, I was saying that is a good way to find the owner.
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

Visit the county Courthouse; Register of Deeds. They have maps and associated taxpayers names. Chances are they won't give you the owners' name, but they might give him/her yours.........of course I'm assuming no one nearby knows who the owner is......
                              Last edited by oletrux4evr; September 6, 2013, 02:05 PM.
                              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                              X