Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get this thought out of my head

I stumbled across this interesting machine a few weeks ago:

It's a Miata with an Exomotive exoskeleton chassis replacing the body. It think it's friggin awesome, weighs 1,500lbs and is street legal in most non-repressive states. And yes, people are putting V8s in them:

What got me think was: Is the Miata really the best dollar-to-horsepower idea for something like this? Basket case Miatas go for more than $1,000 these days and the kit from Exomotive is $7,000 before shipping. What else is out there? What about the C4 Corvette? With its sub-chassis under 'birdcage' structural design, it's essentially the same thing, just a bit bigger. Strip it down to nothing so it looks like this, minus the windshield:

Add a few bars for strength/safety, add a cammed LS1 + T56 combo, wide sticky meats and go auto-crossing. With the current price of C4s and LS1 take-outs, this wouldn't be a very expensive project. It wouldn't weigh 1500lbs, but it would get under 2,000lbs I'm sure!

Think Vette-hack done right and to an ultimate conclusion.

Alas, I have two too many projects as it is right now!

Who wants to buy my Thunderbird?
    1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
    1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Guess I'm alone on this...

Comment

a scaffolding car in Seattle? you do remember it rained 4" last night?
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        That is one..
        Two is rear looks to be IRS?
        Is it FWD??
        Something like that with a solid rear end and wide tires all 4 corners, manual tranny, would be fun..
        As a daily runner around here?.. No.. I don't like 'verts or T-tops here..
        Like the Idea tho... Realistically... PNW..needs body work and a top... Says the bike rider... Man! I sound like a freaking hypocrite!
        If...if I were to make the plunge.. The black one looks like the ticket...

Comment

Tubular front A-arms up front... No engine cradle between them.. Wide tires up front determines how narrow the spindles are located.. Or the radiator and/or intercooler...
          Seats located where you comfy sit to shift the tranny.. Engine behind the A-frames
          Rear end width determined by wide tires
          Rear end location is the tire at least a foot from your back/ass.. The black one seems to have the rear located pretty good..
          I'd just stretch it at the A-frame/firewall area and move the radiator back.. Merely for weight bias.. Help put some weight over the rear besides a spare tire and a small locking box..
          Everything else can be made to work from those locations

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            How often do we autocross in the rain? I'm a fair weather hot-rodder...in Washington...yeah...

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
              That is one..
              Two is rear looks to be IRS?
              Is it FWD??
              Something like that with a solid rear end and wide tires all 4 corners, manual tranny, would be fun..
              As a daily runner around here?.. No.. I don't like 'verts or T-tops here..
              Like the Idea tho... Realistically... PNW..needs body work and a top... Says the bike rider... Man! I sound like a freaking hypocrite!
              If...if I were to make the plunge.. The black one looks like the ticket...
              It's RWD, just like any other Miata: http://exomotive.com/exocet/

We're not talking about daily driving this thing...and it's a bench race anyway, my garage is more than filled with things that need to get done.

Comment

Originally posted by 1970camaroRS View Post
                It's RWD, just like any other Miata: http://exomotive.com/exocet/

We're not talking about daily driving this thing...and it's a bench race anyway, my garage is more than filled with things that need to get done.

Oh. Kit car... That actually improves the base car...
                Last edited by Deaf Bob; September 7, 2013, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1970camaroRS View Post
                  Guess I'm alone on this...
                  No I think it's a great idea too. I'd actually contemplated getting a C4 and putting a gutted subcompact body over the top as a fun track day/auto cross car but I've got too many projects already as well ...

Comment

A couple of thoughts:

Why does everyone hate on the Miata? I see it a sort of modern MGB and nobody disses them. It's just a great little basic sports car. A bit underpowered I know - but so was the "B". Somehow it was decided that the Miata was a "girls car" but I just don't see it that way.

And what's wrong with the C4? I think they are the sports car bargain of the century right now. An engine swap and bolt-on brakes and suspension away from a Ferrari (and I LOVE Ferraris). But like the Miata, they get no respect either.

I think either the Miata exoskeleton or a similar C4 version would be a ton of fun, especially here where we have a LOT of sunshine.

Dan

Comment

If this was closer to me, I might be in trouble!

Comment

Interesting. Probably could build it a lot cheaper with a tubing bender and some steel.

Comment

I'm glad I'm not into this idea, that bastard is about 30 miles from me. I'd do the tubing and a 'busa mill route.

C4's rode like a brick, the C5 rode like a Cadillac in comparison. I think you'd be money ahead to steal some geometry off of it or the Ariel Atom and go with the tubing like 68 Valiant mentions.
                          Last edited by Beagle; September 7, 2013, 11:54 AM.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

by "not into this idea" I mean I wouldn't want to do it with a 'vette... your MGB I get. I would do that...
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

plans in motion to build something like that during my stay in Nebraska, not with a freakin miata though

Comment

Working...
                              X