What part of a car makes it or that car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What part of a car makes it or that car

Now that you can buy new nearly ever part to build a '69 camaro from scratch. There are "restos" that look like they replace 85+% of the sheet metal. Is it really an XYZ car or is it a Year One? What part makes a car a car, the Frame? unibody? firewall? roof? or is the VIN number all that counts? What part or how much of the orignal car is needed to still say its it that car?
    Last edited by Russell; September 10, 2013, 09:09 AM.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Originally posted by Russell View Post
    Now that you can buy new nearly ever part to build a '69 camaro from scratch. There are "restos" that look like they replace 85+% of the sheet metal. Is it really an XYZ car or is it a Year One? What part makes a car a car, the Frame? unibody? firewall? roof? or is the VIN number all that counts? What part or how much of the orignal car is needed to still say its it that car?
    Ive seen a couple hemi car resto's where the only left of the original car was the drivetrain and vin plates.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Hmmm?? Good question..
      I'd hazzard a guess and say if the cowl/vin is 69 Camaro.. Then it is a 69
      But if Year One provides the cowl and vin, it'd be a Year One?
      This would be how I see it..
      But then, I'm a hack..
      Last edited by Deaf Bob; September 10, 2013, 09:14 AM.

Comment

if its got vin plates, anything goes.

even the Shelby has hacks still flying.

As things get newer, the unique font stamp is a clue, non vin plate vehicles.

I do not know when they caught onto that in history. I know the 80s had other areas to verify.

it all seems stupid. a stamped firewall and a brutal engine fire demands a repair.. I suppose the salvage route and reissue is legit.

I am still deciphering phony odometers... long term use of one car makes a pro at it.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

This is registered as a '69 International Scout.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Good question. It's a shame when a 'real steel' car can't compete with a plastic clone. Seen a '40 Ford that was pulled out of a tree row lose to a plastic "40 Ford" that didn't have a single 40 Ford part on it......just not right IMHO.
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

This is a volkswagon bug. mostly orignal sheet metal just be adjusted

I think this is cool it was part of the Grassroots $2009 Challenge.

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Neat car....where can I find more build details on it?
                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

if the vin is original then it is a 69 if it does not have a 69 vin but a state issued or what ever then it is a (insert year the state vin says) 69 camaro

so if you where to register it today it would be a 2013 1969 camaro. me and my uncle have actually thought of doing this build a brand new 69 camaro as there is enough parts to do so just some small trim and badges and interior parts are not being repopped
                  Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                  Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Originally posted by Mater View Post
                    if the vin is original then it is a 69 if it does not have a 69 vin but a state issued or what ever then it is a (insert year the state vin says) 69 camaro

so if you where to register it today it would be a 2013 1969 camaro. me and my uncle have actually thought of doing this build a brand new 69 camaro as there is enough parts to do so just some small trim and badges and interior parts are not being repopped
                    If you do that in NC I am pretty sure you have to meet 2013 epa standard, and have to past the yearly OBD2 inspection. Its been awhile, NC did have some stuff on Kit Cars can not remember what the rules where.

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Didn't this topic bite Boyd Coddington in the buttocks when he tried to register some of his highly modified creations as older cars.
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                        Neat car....where can I find more build details on it?
                        Not sure
                        They ran it a the Maxton Mile and got ink in HOTROD

Andrew Nelson and family built this VW-based whatchamacallit for dirt cheap to race in the Grassroots Motorsports magazine $2009 and $2010 Challenges, and with a 400-based engine it ran 10.82 at 123 in the quarter. At Maxton, with a destroked 265 small-block, it made it half a mile before the Powerglide scattered into a hundred itty-bitty, oily pieces.

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/top_speed_chal...#ixzz2eVyRlsqH

I talked to them at Maxton they have a very cool build Book but I dont know about online.
                        Last edited by Russell; September 10, 2013, 11:22 AM.

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
                          Didn't this topic bite Boyd Coddington in the buttocks when he tried to register some of his highly modified creations as older cars.
                          Yes. He was going to Arizona to register scratch built cars as their model year appearance. Cali's laws then said if was built in 2013, it had to have all the 2013's emissions and safety features. Cali took offense to him skirting the laws. He was lucky not to go to jail. Many states get pissy if you start messing around with VINs in any way. Now, Cali has a new law that allows a certain number of cars per year, i.e. kit cars and scratch builds, to be registered as the model year they appear. They keep it at a particular number to keep out of state builders from taking advantage of the law.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The shape,
                            cheezzoom was still thought of as a 57 chevy
                            cadzilla was still thought of as a 40's caddy
                            a dynacore 69 Camaro body is still a 69 Camaro
                            same with the mustang, the chevelle , a Brookfield 32 ford roadster
                            and the list goes on.
                            The only reason most try to use at least "Part" of an original cars vin's "placement" sheetmetal is because There isn't a standardized law/rule on kit/recreation vehicles for all 50 states, And those that might have laws allowing a recreation to be vin'd, and titled as a model year it "looks" like. STATES have a bad habbit if changing the rules after the fact. and if you're in the middle of a build when they change the "rules" it can kill the project.
                            Take here,my state, a FFR Daytona coupe, it gets titled as a recreation/kit car, and the year depends on the engine blocks date code. have a 1970 block, no emissions. drop a mod motor in it ,say from 2012 and it has to pass emissions for a 2012 vehicle. All this seems mighty crazy for the amount of miles "fun" car/trucks log per year.. very few are used daily..

Comment

My 78 Trans Am was bought from a wrecking yard in the 90's it has a salvage/rebuilder title and the year reflects that..
                              Nothing was removed or changed..
                              Luckily I do not have to smog my cars/trucks!

Comment

Working...
                              X