What part of a car makes it or that car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russell View Post
    If you do that in NC I am pretty sure you have to meet 2013 epa standard, and have to past the yearly OBD2 inspection. Its been awhile, NC did have some stuff on Kit Cars can not remember what the rules where.
    i live in michigan i could put 83 VW diesel in a radial flyer and tape to flash lights to the front and it would be legal LOL

not really but it's really easy to get a kit car registered just need all the emission equipment form the doner engine last i looked and needs fully functioning lights and seat belts air bags are optional
    Last edited by Mater; September 10, 2013, 01:33 PM.
    Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
    Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

To me, if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. If it's a repop 69 Camaro or 57 Chev, and the details are true, it's all the same to me. Whether Chevy or Year One made it, it's still a Camaro or 57 Chev. IMO
      Originally posted by Russell View Post
      Now that you can buy new nearly ever part to build a '69 camaro from scratch. There are "restos" that look like they replace 85+% of the sheet metal. Is it really an XYZ car or is it a Year One? What part makes a car a car, the Frame? unibody? firewall? roof? or is the VIN number all that counts? What part or how much of the orignal car is needed to still say its it that car?
      Last edited by groucho; September 10, 2013, 02:40 PM.
      STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
        To me, if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. If it's a repop 69 Camaro or 57 Chev, and the details are true, it's all the same to me. Whether Chevy or Year One made it, it's still a Camaro or 57 Chev. IMO
        I agree.. when demand for popular goes sky high because of rare, its just insane. More kits or ground up, keeps the momentum going.
        Any loopholes at all, have at them.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
          The shape,
          cheezzoom was still thought of as a 57 chevy
          cadzilla was still thought of as a 40's caddy
          a dynacore 69 Camaro body is still a 69 Camaro
          same with the mustang, the chevelle , a Brookfield 32 ford roadster
          and the list goes on.
          The only reason most try to use at least "Part" of an original cars vin's "placement" sheetmetal is because There isn't a standardized law/rule on kit/recreation vehicles for all 50 states, And those that might have laws allowing a recreation to be vin'd, and titled as a model year it "looks" like. STATES have a bad habbit if changing the rules after the fact. and if you're in the middle of a build when they change the "rules" it can kill the project.
          Take here,my state, a FFR Daytona coupe, it gets titled as a recreation/kit car, and the year depends on the engine blocks date code. have a 1970 block, no emissions. drop a mod motor in it ,say from 2012 and it has to pass emissions for a 2012 vehicle. All this seems mighty crazy for the amount of miles "fun" car/trucks log per year.. very few are used daily..
          Cadzilla was actually built from a '49 Caddy two door sedanette, much like SBG's Buick. It was a low mile, near museum piece.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The guys down here building Eleanor replicas, wait, taking money for them, got busted VIN washing. Texas takes a dim view on that. The last I checked a lot of folks got burned on their deposit. I've seen cops compare body part VINs on late models to the VIN on the dashboard. With computers the way they are now, they can find out if the panels are stolen, the car, dang near anything. They'll take the whole car.

The VIN and title dictate to me what the car is. If you rebody a Camaro, it's still a Camaro. I wonder what Chad's wagon is registered as though.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

jeez good thing my 97 grand prix never got a vin check they would of found at least 6 different vins from the body panels LOL
              Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
              Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Originally posted by Mater View Post
                jeez good thing my 97 grand prix never got a vin check they would of found at least 6 different vins from the body panels LOL
                Should be fine as long as they are not hot.
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                X