NHRA goes to 1000 feet with Nitro Classes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHRA goes to 1000 feet with Nitro Classes

T/F and F/C to be run 1000 feet instead of 1320 from here on out (for now) until other safety measures can be developed.

Read more at www.NHRA.com

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Re: NHRA goes to 1000 feet with Nitro Classes

Sorry to say this, but it sounds like a typical knee jerk reaction to stave off increasing bad press.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

WTF.....that is just assinine. US Nationals just wont be the same, I dont know if ill go now.

Comment

What ET's and mph to be expected?

Surprised they didn't go 660 ft. Fine line between alienating the fans and keeping the safety folks happy, I suppose. Will 320 feet make that much diff? How much speed do they pick up in the last 1/4 of the track?
        The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Speeds will be over 300
          Et's will be quicker .5-.7.....there SHOULD be guys in the 3's

It's not the speed they pickup. It's the mandated rev limited that has caused these cars to become bombs for the last 300 feet of track.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
            Speeds will be over 300
            Et's will be quicker .5-.7.....there SHOULD be guys in the 3's

It's not the speed they pickup. It's the mandated rev limited that has caused these cars to become bombs for the last 300 feet of track.

Brian

Yep, they are taking notes from NASCAR; add six more rules to fix the stupid one they already have.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

If they were taking cues from Nascar they wouldn't have had three high profile on track deaths since 2005.
              Darrel Russell 2005
              Eric Medlen 2007
              Scott Kalitta 2008
              The last guy to die in a NASCAR race? #3 himself in 2000

Since the drivers and team owners have been openly supportive of this idea and it's their ass on the line, it's tough to argue against it.

It is one thing if the competitors are against it...totally another when it's been openly lobbied for.

Brian

Comment

Thus making it even more boring to watch...bring back the 50's and 60's when it was drag racing.

Comment

Originally posted by cal67ss396
                  Thus making it even more boring to watch...bring back the 50's and 60's when it was drag racing.
                  And the cars went 200-240 mph TOPS

Brian

Comment

If the 1000-foot stays for the rest of the season (a season with a points structure I still don't get), I'll bet you they'll be running run 330 at the 1,000-foot.

Like I emailed you, Brian, I'm all for reverting to 1985 look/speed/character. They are going way faster now, and I just barely care. And I mean barely.

Comment

I guess I don't get why people are so pissed about this move.

What's being lost from the fan perspective?

Dave, I'm going to disagree with you (on the 330 thing) because of some conversations I have had that seem to indicate a kind of detante between some of the major domo crew chiefs. We'll see how long that lasts, but with the same gear ratio available and the same blower restrictions in effect, it's going to be a long haul back to 330.

I'm sure Sid Waterman's phone has already been ringing for more beastly fuel pumps, because that's the only real variable left in that equation.

Brian

Comment

Won't seem to different, not too many people sit from 1000 to 1320 not what I would do. I don't like any "play off" points set up in racing. Love the thunder of nitro but enjoy comp's creativety and the stock and super stock tech. Hard to watch on TV and will never be nascar popluar

Comment

I say lets give it a shot.....It is better than 660....1/8th mile is nicht so gute....

We will see what they run shortly...

Seth
                          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                            but with the same gear ratio available and the same blower restrictions in effect, it's going to be a long haul back to 330.
                            That's true.

Comment

1320 ft ti 1000 ft!? This WILL NOT change the out come in the result of explostion at the stripe. Such was the case with Scott Kalitta. I don't think many if any have even thought about the fact that Scott may not of been conscious after the explosion. The after math of any crash always makes people look at the safety side of things and how can they be improved upon.
                              If shortening tracks and slowing the cars down is the ansewer, then we should take EVERYTHING we have learned to love about Drag racing and throw it out the window. E.T's and MPH will not mean shit. It will be Bracket racing. To me bracket racing is a joke! (go as fast as you can, but not to fast?) What's the point? If I know how fast my riding lawn mower will go, why can't I use that In a race against a car running 7's.

Remember this is only MY opinion. Sorry, but I needed to say It.

Comment

Working...
                              X