Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hack Apologies and Update

Guys and Gals,

Thanks for your patience with all the hacking that has been going on lately. BangShift has not been the only target obviously, but we know that this has been an inconvenience for you and appreciate the understanding and patience, as well as the heads up.

I have been working with the IT guys on several fixes over the past week, and have made headway, but we still have more to do.

Tomorrow, Monday September 16th, I will be working with the IT guys on some more patches, updates, etc so that we can get ourselves locked down and secure. During this time we hope to keep the forums up and running, but periodic downtime may occur.

I'll keep you posted whenever possible, but appreciate your patience.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please feel free to email me at [email protected].

Thanks,
    Chad
    "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

You guys have nothing to apologise about. Hacks happen, it's just a matter of time some of those lowlifes find a way into the site.
    We can be glad that not more data is lost.

In this case it was vBulletin's core/installer files that were compromised.
    I've heard on another site that the hackers also ditched their entire topic attachments file directory.

A bit funny is, that a paid forumsoftware is getting succesfully hacked, while free alternatives like phpBB for instance aren't.
    I've always wondered why someone would choose to pay a monthly/yearly fee for something that's not safer or has more functions than a free available version.

One thing that would be nice if that "Activity Stream" could be deactivated or something.
    I understand this comes with the newer version of the forumsoftware, but it has no additional function and besides... it's annoying as a crossthreaded nut welded to a lockwasher...
    www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Just get a pork sponsor.........maybe they won't
      look at us again
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

X2
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

INTERUPTIONS ! ? I CAN'T believe you would even consider causing a disruption to my bangshifting. ! Do You Know How Much I pay for my access to this site....?. wait.... oh , that's rite... its free.... sorry..... carry-on. nothing to see here.........

Good luck
          chad.
          Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Tell them to fix the code in the footer so 'forum' points to 'forum' & not activity stream...

Click image for larger version

Name:	fix_footer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	872286

Comment

Okay guys, we've gotten the forum pointing back to the right place. We've also fixed some stuff in the backend and are working on it more as we speak.

Thanks for the heads ups as well.

Tardis. That one we knew about, and has been the problem since late yesterday, but it isn't just changing a link. It's fixed now though so we're all good on that one. Thanks again.

At this point we think we can make our other changes this morning without interrupting the forum. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

We know you guys are working on it the best you can. But you know we can't be held responsible when we come to this site for our daily "fix" and then we can't get on! I have to yell to everybody in the house to grab the dogs and "get out" until I can find some bs news or info!

Keep up the good work!
                Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

I know it sucks not getting the fix, which is why I work on keeping this pig running each week. LOL. I wish it was something you just turned on and let go, but it's not.

We have made a couple more tweaks in the last few minutes and it's looking better on the backend already. I'll keep you posted on any changes.

Comment

Working great! Add a pig or a pork chop to the main page.........
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BangShiftChad View Post
                        Tardis. That one we knew about, and has been the problem since late yesterday, but it isn't just changing a link. It's fixed now though so we're all good on that one. Thanks again.
                        I know Chad, I do web design...

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar View Post
                          You guys have nothing to apologise about. Hacks happen, it's just a matter of time some of those lowlifes find a way into the site.
                          We can be glad that not more data is lost.

In this case it was vBulletin's core/installer files that were compromised.
                          I've heard on another site that the hackers also ditched their entire topic attachments file directory.

A bit funny is, that a paid forumsoftware is getting succesfully hacked, while free alternatives like phpBB for instance aren't.
                          I've always wondered why someone would choose to pay a monthly/yearly fee for something that's not safer or has more functions than a free available version.

One thing that would be nice if that "Activity Stream" could be deactivated or something.
                          I understand this comes with the newer version of the forumsoftware, but it has no additional function and besides... it's annoying as a crossthreaded nut welded to a lockwasher...
                          That is the unix kernel, old windows argument. NT saved the day, but you are right.. the paid stuff ought to be bulletproof. No fault of bangshift. I post elsewhere for my rambling project, just in case..been doing that for years. it is smarter than ever, forum stuff.. but as we all learned recently...
                          Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                            Just get a pork sponsor.........maybe they won't
                            look at us again
                            Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                            Working great! Add a pig or a pork chop to the main page.........
                            I like how you guys think!
                            But the 3rd hack sent (at least me) us to a skin cancer treatment center or page

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
                              I know Chad, I do web design...
                              I know that now, but didn't when I replied! LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X