No announcement yet.

Live video of Contra Costa being pulled upright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think they can fill the pool and start the pool party soon!
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

it's up... wow
      Engineers in Italy have succeeded in setting the capsized cruise ship Costa Concordia upright, 20 months after it ran aground off the Italian island of Giglio.

it's interesting that they keep saying "it will be hauled away to be destroyed".... the damage looks repairable, just a little wax and.... I suspect that it'll get sold to a scrapper, the scrapper will get an offer that's more than scrap value, and that ship will be plying the waters in SE Asia somewhere..
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I was reading one report that the whole structure of the ship is bent up and unfit for repairs. Like a bent up car frame on a megascale. Ships are design for their weight to be uniformly distributed along the entire surface area under water. The point loading of the rocks on the side plus the beating of the tides and waves loading and unloading the ship's weight on rocks have tweaked and weakened the entire structure. It'll have some salvagable pieces removed I'm sure then the rest will become scrap.

Comment

Time Lapse

Comment

I cant believe it!

Comment

I was looking at other pictures of it, and it's still pretty well sank at the moment, just upright. It looks like the glass deck is just above the waterline when it should be 30-40 feet above the waterline. Lots of work still to be done. Also read it's to be cut up in an Italian port, not a SE Asia port. I'm guessing the ship doesn't have a chance in h*** to float across open ocean, let alone clear across the globe.
              Last edited by TheSilverBuick; September 17, 2013, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Whelk View Post
                That's just pretty dadgum cool right there. That gets one man's vote for the coolest thing on video this year.
                Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

The more I think about it, I've never use a thousand giant cables to set a giant cruise ship back upright.

But I'm pretty good at drinkin' beer.

I didn't invent that last line. Somebody beat me to it.
                  Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
                  X