New Shoes on the 84 C10 Daily Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Shoes on the 84 C10 Daily Driver

The Indy 500 255/70/15's lasted about 3 years and not very many miles. Even when they were new, they were no good in the rain... so I battled with myself a while to decide what tires to replace them with.

I researched sizes, brands, styles, and prices on Tire Rack and other sites, and decided that for a "truck" tire that will fit nicely on my 8" rims, last a long time, handle well in rain, and acceptably in sand - while not looking silly on a 2 wheel drive, I decided to go with a 31x10.50 ...

Michelins! Expensive, but worth it.

Looks good to me.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Looks nice! This truck is my favorite low buck daily driver build.

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
        Looks nice! This truck is my favorite low buck daily driver build.
        it was low buck - have your priced LTX's ?

Tires are safety items and should not be included in budgets. That rule is good enough for LeMons, it's good enough for me! Ultimate justification, with the coincidental "Oh my, doesn't it drive better!!!!"
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I love this project too - and I think the one last place in the world where you actually get what you pay for when you pay for a name is with Michelin tires (of proven models, some models of michelins are not worth the money).

It's simply amazing how much a set of tires can change the personality of a vehicle, well done!
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

sure is a good looking rig. I really have a deep love of this body style chevy truck. Those tires fill up the big fender wells really well.

I do like the 73 to 79 dog house best. I didnt care for the sloping fenders and hoods of 80 and later models. and I prefer the single round headlights. Not to say I would kick any of them out of bed for eatign crackers....just an anal visual thing for me...

Rant/hi-jack over...carry on...
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

those are worth the 1 ton sidewall.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

same size I used to run when I had an 84 C-10 Silverado diesel... speedo will be off by about 5% +-
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                  same size I used to run when I had an 84 C-10 Silverado diesel... speedo will be off by about 5% +-
                  Since I don't have a tach, I use some online calculators to determine cruise rpm for certain highway speeds...

29" 255/70 with my 3.08 rear was 2855 rpm at 80.

31" tire with 3.08 is 2671 rpm at 80.

However, the 305 engine is going to HATE the taller tires when trying to tow the 12' enclosed trailer, so I'm strongly considering ggetting some 3.42 gears - which will give me a slight advantage for towing, but a slight increase in highway cruise rpm.

31" tire with 3.42 gears will be 2965 rpm at 80.

Comment

Working...
                  X