Gotta love engine compresion in the crankcase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta love engine compresion in the crankcase

This 06 6 liter had plenty of oil gushing out of the dip stick tube. After pulling the cab to remove the head (for those of you not familiar with ford pulling the cab is the norm for most engine work) this is what I found.
    Original Carjunkie TV Member

Re: Gotta love engine compresion in the crankcase

ouch.

lemme guess "If one electronics box is better, then two must be betterer!!!!"

looks like what happens when you stack boxes that both advance timing... what was the actual diagnosis?? cool pics!!
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I haven't got any farther than a pulled head I hope it was just a flaw in the piston

Comment

6.0s are the demise of ford motor company

Comment

They do seem to be on the problematic side.

The part I don't get is that Ford owns/once owned an interest in Cummins Engine Company....why they didn't go with them, leaving Dodge to scoop up what is easily the best diesel engine in the pickup/1-ton market.

The 7.3 Powerstrokes are decent engines, the 6.9 NA's are DOGS.

Not sure I'd ever want to own a truck that I'd have to yank the cab off of to work on the damned engine.

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!

The part I don't get is that Ford owns/once owned an interest in Cummins Engine Company....why they didn't go with them, leaving Dodge to scoop up what is easily the best diesel engine in the pickup/1-ton market.

Not sure I'd ever want to own a truck that I'd have to yank the cab off of to work on the damned engine.
            Ford got rid of their stake in Cummins before Dodge was putting that engine in their trucks. That's a popular rumor that goes around on the Ford boards, unfortunately - not applicable here.

just my opinion, but the best thing about the Cummins is the ease of maintenance. I can swap injectors in 45 minutes, almost like a set of spark plugs. That's an 8+ hour job in any of the V-diesels. The duramax, however, is definitely an awesome engine! the 6.4 TT Navistar seems a lot better than the poor 6.0 also.
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

the 7.3 was a fine , outdated old timer
              diesel is expense extreme . which makes me not a fan
              a non turbo , non efi 6.5 gm is a reliable wheezer too , boost makes miracles causes pop

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                Originally posted by tiresmoke!

Ford got rid of their stake in Cummins before Dodge was putting that engine in their trucks. That's a popular rumor that goes around on the Ford boards, unfortunately - not applicable here.

just my opinion, but the best thing about the Cummins is the ease of maintenance. I can swap injectors in 45 minutes, almost like a set of spark plugs. That's an 8+ hour job in any of the V-diesels. The duramax, however, is definitely an awesome engine! the 6.4 TT Navistar seems a lot better than the poor 6.0 also.
                My nephew does a lot of light truck diesel work, and that Isuzu is pretty tough. He still likes the 7.3 Powerstroke though, he has them down to a science.

We rented a 2 ton International 4200 moving truck last weekend to move the storage. It was a V-8, where I would have figured it would have a DT-466 inline, is that a 6.4?

Comment

Sounds like it had the MaxxForce 7 engine in it.

It was a 6.4. International just gave it the snappy name.

Brian
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

My considerable experience with these engines (ran lots of 'em on a dyno). I don't know why Ford went with the Power Stroke. The DT466 is bulletproof (they're in nearly every school bus in America), and the V8 was always fussy. The Cummins ISB engines (Dodge PU and others) is a super engine but I wish it was wet-sleeved. They had a bunch of bad blocks that cracked thru the water jackets, but that's now fixed - I had to re-block one of our dyno motors in the middle of a test program (not a good thing). Not much experience with the Isuzu, but generally Japanese Diesels are pretty bulletproof.

Non-Diesel guys - note the "Mexican Hat" in the piston crown. That's the combustion chamber. Riccardo in England did considerable research many years ago and found this to be the optimum design for the chamber. Subsequently, much research has gone into refining the shape, but the concept still holds true. There is very little squish volume outside of that chamber when the piston is at TDC, which is one of the reasons that Diesels have low HC and CO emissions (no dead gasses in the corners).

More specifics - PM me.

Dan

Comment

I've got over 500k on 7.3's and driven all the others at one time or another...

Here was my problem with the 6.0... they made more HP and Torque out of less cubes... and said it would get better mileage.... Hmmm ahhhh okay so I can have more everything in Less Motor??? Some how that just doesn't seem right.

Someone said that you can have 2 of three things... but not all three , it's truly believable.

Price
                      Performance
                      Endurance

K

Comment

The DT-466 is probably the gold standard light to medium duty engine out there. That said a DI Powerstroke had very few flaws, really o-rings for the injectors were about the only major maintenance item that determined life or death. If they started passing oil, death was on its way from excessive pressures in the cylinders. The IDI motors were about as low maintenance as you can get for a diesel, less mileage and power, but man those things lived forever. Scott's comment on the Cummins is a good one, back when I spun wrenches I could service the injectors bleed and time the pump while you are still getting the valvetrain off a 7.3.

GMs smartest move was ditching the 6.5 and going to the Isuzu. Good architecture for its application and people are putting unholy amounts of boost to them. I am still a 2-stroke Detroit diesel fan even though they are really obsolete and dirty. A turbocharged 3-71 in a 3/4 ton 4X4 pickup comes to mind as pretty sweet. ;D

Comment

Oh Bill! You old fossil (from one fossil to another). The 2 strokers are fun, but I don't really want to own one. Still, we have some fire trucks here in town with 'em (not sure what size) and I love to hear them go by, chopping the air as they go. It's a unique auditory experience.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by BillBallinger Sr
                            The DT-466 is probably the gold standard light to medium duty engine out there. That said a DI Powerstroke had very few flaws, really o-rings for the injectors were about the only major maintenance item that determined life or death. If they started passing oil, death was on its way from excessive pressures in the cylinders. The IDI motors were about as low maintenance as you can get for a diesel, less mileage and power, but man those things lived forever. Scott's comment on the Cummins is a good one, back when I spun wrenches I could service the injectors bleed and time the pump while you are still getting the valvetrain off a 7.3.

GMs smartest move was ditching the 6.5 and going to the Isuzu. Good architecture for its application and people are putting unholy amounts of boost to them. I am still a 2-stroke Detroit diesel fan even though they are really obsolete and dirty. A turbocharged 3-71 in a 3/4 ton 4X4 pickup comes to mind as pretty sweet. ;D
                            A 371 turbo is sweet a little low on power for that app.

Comment

Dan, I'd been wondering why the top of the piston looked that way. Thanks for clearing that up. Do these diesels have the valves just sitting on a flat section of cylinder head?

Comment

Working...
                              X