I sold my '66 Chevy II yesterday....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I sold my '66 Chevy II yesterday....

It's the first time since 1973 that there hasn't been a Nova or Chevy II in my family. It started with a '73 Nova SS that my Dad bought new,then my Mom had a '79 which she drove until 1990.

I bought a '73 Nova hatchback in 1988,but then a nice '70 model came up for sale later that year. I bought it,but then a '66 two door coupe came up for sale just a few months later only 30 miles away. I sold the '73,but then I mothballed the '70 eventually selling it to a cousin of a friend.

I loved my '66. I drove the snot out of it for many years,but I took care of it too. My wife and I wrecked it one night when a girl had stalled her S10 in the middle of the highway. She was trying to crank the truck so she had the headlights off. The truck I was following turned off, and there was the S10 stalled in the road. I couldn't stop in time,and the rest is history. Wiped out the whole front end including a brand new 4 core radiator.

I should've let it go a lot sooner,but I just couldn't make myself do it. My parents are moving,and we're having to trim down our collection of cars and other assorted stuff. I went down last week and cleaned out some parts I had stored in the car. The buyer came yesterday,and got my car. My Dad had a '67 4 door that he sold to the same guy also.

I was glad I didn't see the car leave. It had to be done,but it was still tough!!
    Last edited by Karberator; September 20, 2013, 12:53 PM.
    sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

My first car was a '67 which I'd love to have back. Unusual in that it was a 327/275, but not an SS. Hauled ass, going straight!

Comment

I wrecked the same way.
      an old lady doing 30 something on I-95.

looked down for a second, there it was.
      a Camaro in the other lane, as time and luck has it.. one mirror hit one mirror and the other mirror hit the other... as I flew inbetween.

I then slid sideways what appears to be almost a half mile. I felt the body bending sliding sideways, and thought sure the door was going to pop open... slapped a guard rail, slid down to the end of that.

Car was still running with front of it caved in on the engine. double belted boxer engine. I looked up and realized the dash was taller.. the floor caved in around the tunnel towards the ground.

I spit blood for some months.

anyway.. hope someone treats your painful sale good. I can't even find buyers in reality here.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Karberator View Post
        It's the first time since 1973 that there hasn't been a Nova or Chevy II in my family. It started with a '73 Nova SS that my Dad bought new,then my Mom had a '79 which she drove until 1990.

I bought a '73 Nova hatchback in 1988,but then a nice '70 model came up for sale later that year. I bought it,but then a '66 two door coupe came up for sale just a few months later only 30 miles away. I sold the '73,but then I mothballed the '70 eventually selling it to a cousin of a friend.

I loved my '66. I drove the snot out of it for many years,but I took care of it too. My wife and I wrecked it one night when a girl had stalled her S10 in the middle of the highway. She was trying to crank the truck so she had the headlights off. The truck I was following turned off, and there was the S10 stalled in the road. I couldn't stop in time,and the rest is history. Wiped out the whole front end including a brand new 4 core radiator.

I should've let it go a lot sooner,but I just couldn't make myself do it. My parents are moving,and we're having to trim down our collection of cars and other assorted stuff. I went down last week and cleaned out some parts I had stored in the car. The buyer came yesterday,and got my car. My Dad had a '67 4 door that he sold to the same guy also.

I was glad I didn't see the car leave. It had to be done,but it was still tough!!

I think this is the first post I have read of yours that didn't somehow manage to bring up a boxster engine in it.
        Nitrous is like that hot chick with crabs. you want to hit it, you're just afraid of the consequences

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
          I wrecked the same way.
          an old lady doing 30 something on I-95.

looked down for a second, there it was.
          a Camaro in the other lane, as time and luck has it.. one mirror hit one mirror and the other mirror hit the other... as I flew inbetween.

I then slid sideways what appears to be almost a half mile. I felt the body bending sliding sideways, and thought sure the door was going to pop open... slapped a guard rail, slid down to the end of that.

Car was still running with front of it caved in on the engine. double belted boxer engine. I looked up and realized the dash was taller.. the floor caved in around the tunnel towards the ground.

I spit blood for some months.

anyway.. hope someone treats your painful sale good. I can't even find buyers in reality here.
          I think the guy that bought my car already has a buyer. It will most likely go to a guy in Georgia. I just wanted to make sure I never saw it again. I pass right by the guy's shop on my way to my parent's house,and to church. My Dad says the guy is thankfully putting the car inside his shop so I shouldn't have to look at it again.

I felt AWFUL about wrecking the car. I bought it from a couple who had a sick daughter who had to have a very expensive operation. The little girl died maybe a year after I got the car. I promised them that I would take care of the car,and I kept it maintained and cleaned up until the wreck happened. When we wrecked the car I didn't think it was going to be too bad from inside the car. I new the fenders and grill were probably toast,and obviously the radiator. I knew when I had to kick the door to get it open that it wasn't going to be good. I prayed that the previous owners wouldn't find out,but a guy I know told them about it.

I sure miss that car! It had a 350 with a Carter AFB. It was pretty much bone stock. If it had a cam it was a very small one,and it had a Powerglide with 3.08 gears. It was slow off the line,but it was decently quick due to the low weight of the car. The brakes were obviously not good.
          sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

I built a '66 tor my wife right after we got married. She drove that car 6-7 years. 283 4speed, had a new floor and subframe connecters. Pulled the engine/tranny and sold it to my cousin. He put a 350/350th in it for his daughter. A few weeks later she ran it into a ditch and folded it in half at the windshield posts.

Comment

Originally posted by phitter67 View Post
              I built a '66 tor my wife right after we got married. She drove that car 6-7 years. 283 4speed, had a new floor and subframe connecters. Pulled the engine/tranny and sold it to my cousin. He put a 350/350th in it for his daughter. A few weeks later she ran it into a ditch and folded it in half at the windshield posts.
              Aw man! That stinks! My wife and I ate with my parents after church,but I didn't go back where the car used to be. It's hard to believe it's gone,but the pile of green I got today sure looks good.
              sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

Working...
              X