Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need to quit fooling with houses and get back to cars!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to quit fooling with houses and get back to cars!

But I better clean up my mess first? New furnace install....

Yesterday saw 3 - 180' runs and the basement run get done, this morning finished the 4th run. Needed minimum of 7' deep....well, we got most of them closer to 9'. Just to make sure.

Busy day.

Last edited by STINEY; September 25, 2013, 11:33 AM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Here's what the yard USED to look like....before the zombie attack. Yeah, my boys want to keep the trenches around the house, as a way to ward off any wrong-doers. Sorry boys, have to settle for dirt for now.

Comment

What in all that is holy and not are you doing? Digging WW1 trenches?
      Is it supposed to drain off water or something?

Comment

Hey, less grass to mow now.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
          What in all that is holy and not are you doing? Digging WW1 trenches?
          Is it supposed to drain off water or something?
          New furnace.........Geothermal. Like a heat-pump only uses steady ground temp instead of variable air temp.

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
          Hey, less grass to mow now.
          BONUS!!!

Comment

Ahhh gotcha... Seems the 70's technology is making a comeback!

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
              New furnace.........Geothermal. Like a heat-pump only uses steady ground temp instead of variable air temp.
              Oh, I thought you were recreating the Siegfreid line in Belgium. Bwahahahaha!!
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Putting a stop to those darn solicitors! HA!

Comment

7 feet. a lot of digging, little backhoe. fuel is that bad to create this motivation. Meanwhile, the building I am in has a fat slob landlord who does not allow heat control.. windows open to a furnace going through fuel like he does steaks. Seems fitting to have this error.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I was looking into that when I lived in the buckeye state and we were heating with fuel oil, now I heat mostly with wood and natural gas, but keep wondering why nobody seems to use the river as a heat sink for geothermal.... oh well - looks like fun!

What's your ROI - about 7 years?
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

You only have to go 7 feet for geothermal?? What's your ground temperature at that point?

Our water comes up out of the well at around 56-58*F, so I'd expect the ground here not to work well for heating as a passive system.
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Everything has "heat" to extract.. Air is the worst because you have temp from lows to highs..
                        During winter, you are extracting heat from 56-58*. Not from the 20* outside air (less heat to extract)

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                          Putting a stop to those darn solicitors! HA!
                          that gives you a place to bury them....

did I mention that today I had a migraine, and some bloke from DNR (dept. of natural resources) wouldn't stop knocking at my door.... I came to the door in shorts with a 9mm in my hand... he seemed nervous

I considered (briefly) telling him he had a pretty mouth - but then I'd laughed, my head would have hurt then I'd have had to shoot him.... and then I'd be in jail in shorts. Don't go to jail in shorts.
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 23, 2013, 09:24 PM.
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

You aren't going to passively move heat from 58*F to say 70*F. It'll have to run continuously like an A/C unit in summer. It's a whole different story if the ground temperature is 70*F.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                              You aren't going to passively move heat from 58*F to say 70*F. It'll have to run continuously like an A/C unit in summer. It's a whole different story if the ground temperature is 70*F.
                              Right.. But there is heat to pump out..
                              It's a paradox, really..
                              I'll let Stiney explain it better than I can remember
                              Kinda like underground houses, heat is easy because it is constant..

Comment

Working...
                              X