The Unsettling Job Seardh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Unsettling Job Seardh

This is the last semester of school. After that, I'm a 30-year old with a BS in Aviation Business Administration, which basically is a BA with a couple of specialty courses.

I narrowed my job field down to two: Aviation and Automotive. Aviation side I can handle. Automotive side I don't have the connections like aviation. I wouldn't mind going either side, I'd be happy in both, but I'm looking for how to make my "in". I tried at SEMA last year, and got pretty much nowhere. I'm on HorsepowerJobs, and that isn't exactly intuitive, though a resume is up for viewing. Anyone got any other ideas on where to look?
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

You could always sell Oreos.

It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Bombardier is hiring down here...some good jobs open...I can get you some info if you need it.

Aerotech is the Co/ that scouts for them

Whether you are looking for a job in Arizona, seeking staffing services or thinking about working at Aerotek, visit our Tucson, AZ location or contact us to find out how we can partner.
      Last edited by JOES66FURY; September 26, 2013, 01:25 PM.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

like turning wrenches ? sales ?

Comment

The way it seems in the performance industry is you got to get in with someone and then move on from their. A lot of people I know that went on to great jobs in the performance industries started at Loper's. Even Glad from CC worked there back in the day. I'm not saying to get a job at Loper's, but you might have to start out small to go big. Saying that I'm sure Aviation pays better than any automotive job out there.
          The Green Machine.
          http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Are you on Linkedin?

Comment

Originally posted by Aircooled View Post
              Are you on Linkedin?

^^^^^

What Ac said. Not at all a guarantee but that's the business standard for lots of companies of all types.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

The last company I worked for (aerospace fab-weld-machine, 120 employees) would like a guy like you if you were willing to bend metal (sometimes bend over) and learn their particular business for a couple years first. Except you'd get your ass cooked into fine stew mis-spelling "search"...no mistakes allowed at that shop without paying a price. Yet a great place to work.

There must be similar, closer to you.

Comment

Yes, I saw the misspelling. I was hacking this post out minutes before I had to haul ass to class.

I'm on LinkedIn, and I'm scanning several job boards as well. I'm not so much money-hungry (so long as we can live decently, I'm fine) but I don't want a "shut up and color" job. I'm just trying to find an avenue into automotive that has that. I was up for a company in Bowling Green this summer, but it didn't happen. It's much easier in aviation. Guess I'll keep my focus there. Thanks for the link, Joe, I'll check them out later tonight.
                  Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Check the avaiation jobs in Wichita.

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z View Post
                      Yes, I saw the misspelling. I was hacking this post out minutes before I had to haul ass to class.

I'm on LinkedIn, and I'm scanning several job boards as well. I'm not so much money-hungry (so long as we can live decently, I'm fine) but I don't want a "shut up and color" job. I'm just trying to find an avenue into automotive that has that. I was up for a company in Bowling Green this summer, but it didn't happen. It's much easier in aviation. Guess I'll keep my focus there. Thanks for the link, Joe, I'll check them out later tonight.
                      I may be able to put you in touch with a Aerotech head hunter...go thru the standard process first tho. the degree this kid has is the same as you and he is a head hunter for them up in Oregon...
                      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

BluePrint has an opening or two. www.blueprintengines.com

Talk to Scott Liggett on here.
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z View Post
                          I'm not so much money-hungry (so long as we can live decently, I'm fine) but I don't want a "shut up and color" job. I'm just trying to find an avenue into automotive that has that..
                          Don't sell yourself short, be money hungry, cause in a few years you'll be kicking yourself for not taking the higher paying job. As for automotive if your really wanting to go that direction the only real money is working for a dealership. Lead Tech's can make close to 6 figures or more, or just get a Service Writer job. But if your looking for a job in the performance industry realize the only people that make the big bucks there are the owners of the companies, pretty much everyone else makes crap. Your a smart guy and you took the time to get a degree, don't waste it, and don't settle for anything less than $1000 a week as your worth that easily.

By the way CenterForce Clutches is up there in Prescott, you try applying with them?
                          Last edited by BigAL; September 27, 2013, 09:09 AM.
                          The Green Machine.
                          http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

I would encourage you to go on every interview you can get - even if you don't think you want the job.

The more interviewing you do, the more relaxed you'll become, and the better you will be able to sell yourself as a top notch candidate.

Some interviews will really surprise you, others will make you feel like you'd certainly have no better life than that of a cubicle dweller if you took that job - and in many jobs - that's just a reality lots of us have to deal with.

Also consider the "big fish in a small pond vs. small fish in a big pond" scenario - there are certainly advantages to both, but you need to know which one you'd rather be.

Have a list of at least 10 specific questions you ask at every interview - it should be a two way street, if they don't ask you if you have any questions - you don't want to work for them.
                            Be honest about your comfort level with travel - and international travel, be honest about your willingness to work gobs of overtime (many times unpaid - save for a end of year "bonus") and be honest about your willingness to re-locate, or go on extended trips overseas (3 months or so).
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Hey, y'all wanna find me one too? I'll have to leave mine once he finds one since it seems there's no chance it'll be close enough for me to commute.
                              Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

Working...
                              X