Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craigslist oddity: Six wheeled '71 Buick hardtop

Found on the GRM forum:

1971 Buick HT 2 Door 6 Wheel Factory Car in good Condition.Rear 2 Wheels are Hydraulic.71,000 miles. 1 of 2 left in the USA. Runs & Drives great. Older Restoration.Call for info & make Offer. Robert Stewart 610-562-8631 or 484-651-3306
    Some attempts at searching other forums turn up that it may have been a trailer towing rig of some sort:

Anybody here heard of such a thing?

No, but back in the day (when that was new) people would commonly tow 30' travel trailers with full-size Buicks, Olds etc. Maybe just a weird-ass idea to address that.

If so I'd expect to see that on a four-door.
    Last edited by Loren; September 26, 2013, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Thats jsut freaking weird.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Now that's odd ?

sigpic

Comment

It has '68 rear side marker lights on it - don't know what's going on there. Pretty sure this was an aftermarket add-on that you could have installed. I never heard of this as a factory option and they would clue us in to stuff like this when we attended new product school.

All in all - strange.

Dan

Comment

I know dualies pul trailers wonderfully,
            Don't know about tandem axles vs dualies...
            Some tandem axled motorhomes are dualie drive with single tag axle.

Anybody ever try tag axle vs dualie?

Comment

I hope they have the fender skirt that's missing in the pics.

Comment

Where did the one with the wire hubcaps come from Joes66? The "other" 71 Buick dually?
                www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Originally posted by BKBridges View Post
                  Where did the one with the wire hubcaps come from Joes66? The "other" 71 Buick dually?
                  I suspect it is the same car but I am not sure...the missing driver side skirt leads me to believe its the same one
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I bet it is a road powered ice cream maker. Probably makes 20 gallons of rocky road at a time...

Comment

This thing is freaky weird? I'd roll it!

Comment

What's the purpose of the semi tires in the rear quarters?
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

We're not sure (at least, so far no one has a definitive answer) but we're guessing it's for trailer towing. It was common back then for folks to tow travel trailers, horse trailers, etc. with big sedans and my guess is that some aftermarket company did this modification. Basically we're thinkin' it's a tag axle.

Dan
                          Last edited by DanStokes; September 28, 2013, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X