No announcement yet.

Titleing a car that hasn't been on the road for 50 yers and has a lost title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titleing a car that hasn't been on the road for 50 yers and has a lost title

A friend of mine's dad has a couple of old cars that are just sitting in the desert and has no use for them. My ears perked up when asked what he wanted for them, and he told me if I wanted them I could have them.The only problem is the titles were lost 30 years ago, and no one keeps records that far back. Would I be wasting my time trying to get a legit title for these, are ha anyone had any luck doing a bonded title. I don't want to waste time and money only tochse my own tail. Anyone got a better idea?
    Nitrous is like that hot chick with crabs. you want to hit it, you're just afraid of the consequences

Originally posted by Nik View Post
    A friend of mine's dad has a couple of old cars that are just sitting in the desert and has no use for them. My ears perked up when asked what he wanted for them, and he told me if I wanted them I could have them.The only problem is the titles were lost 30 years ago, and no one keeps records that far back. Would I be wasting my time trying to get a legit title for these, are ha anyone had any luck doing a bonded title. I don't want to waste time and money only tochse my own tail. Anyone got a better idea?
    I am sure that it varies from state to state, but if he had a title for them previously, he could file for a lost title with the state. Once he receives that, he could sign the car over to you. Or you could file for a salvage title. Both of these work here in Mississippi. However, my brother never could get a clear title on a car he bought from a junk yard in Tennessee. So I would check with your local court house to see what it would take.

Just out of curiosity- what are the cars?
    Last edited by Orange65; September 27, 2013, 04:36 AM.
    Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

i met a lady earlier this year at a show and talked to her briefly about lost titles, and she told me she does title work and can get them for $100-$200 and would be a texas title, I have her info if interested
      Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
        i met a lady earlier this year at a show and talked to her briefly about lost titles, and she told me she does title work and can get them for $100-$200 and would be a texas title, I have her info if interested
        Hey Charles, can you PM that to me? I checked into bonded titles here once, it's not that bad of a process. A little more complicated than my a.d.d. will complete unfortunately.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Check with the tag office; there may be a pretty simple way to get it tagged. In Georgia, they don't even have titles for cars from before 1963, and anything before 1986 can be tagged and registered with just a bill of sale. So if you lived here, it would be really easy - and there are other states that are probably no harder.

And a bonded title isn't too difficult, either, at least in Georgia - you need to pay an extra fee for the title bond, have the cops certify it's not stolen, and that's about all.
          Last edited by Matt Cramer; September 27, 2013, 05:45 AM.

Comment

I woman here in Tulsa did the one for my henry j ,took about 45 days cost me $125.

Comment

I'm dealing with this exact issue with the Buick. All the advice above is good, and do this:

My car is from Montana, and was in a wrecking yard. Because it was in a wrecking yard, the plates were removed. And the records office burned to the ground in 1990. The only check I could do is that.... and I may end up with a bonded title.... not really a big deal; except Washington adds this hoop - the car has to have a motor in it....
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

depends on the state, and you didn't tell us where you live. In AZ you can get an abandoned vehicle title, the property owner has to sign the form stating the vehicle was abandoned there. Of course the state checks the numbers in the database.
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I think Nik is in Texas now? Texas won't let you title an abandoned vehicle, it has to be scrapped according to the junk I was reading. There are some tricks to get around that I'm sure, I just don't know what they are. Since Nik has the original / registered to owner available for signatures, I don't think it will be that big a deal. It's a lost title application away, then transfer it when you have the title copy.

SBG, out of state title transfers here require a safety inspection... so yeah, a means of mobility (engine) are somewhat required.
                  Last edited by Beagle; September 27, 2013, 06:49 AM.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

my falcon came with a title - that was totally distroyed and unrecognizable as a pile of torn up mouse nest material.

I had to get a surety bond (I think that's what they call it) then michigan did a title search to make sure nobody else had any claim to that vin number. Once that came back clear they issued me a clear title on the vehicle. The process took a month or so, and I think the bond was refunded after the search was complete.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                      my falcon came with a title - that was totally distroyed and unrecognizable as a pile of torn up mouse nest material.

I had to get a surety bond (I think that's what they call it) then michigan did a title search to make sure nobody else had any claim to that vin number. Once that came back clear they issued me a clear title on the vehicle. The process took a month or so, and I think the bond was refunded after the search was complete.
                      Strange, the 65 GTO was easy back in 2009. Walked in with bill of sale and the VIN, put in the paperwork and got a title in two weeks. Tried again with my Ventura, and they want bill of sale and an appraisal on it before they will do anything. I have had the Ventura since 94, traded some Chevelle seats for it, so no bill of sale. It was going to be a circle track car before I got it. Manual everything and a six in it, so its not a valuable car by any means.

Comment

Know somebody who owns a tow biz?
                        Have them put a tow lein on it and go thru the waiting period.. Then title it.

Comment

A friend of mine's dad has a couple of old cars that are just sitting in the desert and the titles were lost 30 years ago.

Originally posted by Orange65 View Post
                          Just out of curiosity- what are the cars?
                          I'm wondering the same thing ....

Comment

I'm in the same boat, lost title with no leads. Help me I'm in Nebraska!
                            Nick Smithberg
                            www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Cali DMV has a lost title form. It's no big deal. If the car still has plates on it, might make it easier.
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X