since we are talking about military aircraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• since we are talking about military aircraft

watch this video and this reminds me some much about the time i spent in the Marines in the early 80's at 3RD MAW MCAS El Toro . Getting to watch the F4's fly from Mag 11 and Mag 13

this looks to be filmed up in the Nevada desert near Reno

"if it's too loud you're too old !!! "sigpic

I was looking for the plane I got assigned to, I had learned it went to junk.. possibly to be rebuilt.

found this guy who wrote numbers down, all the planes in a row.
    All the following were read off after an over-flight, tour and a spot of fence
    walking. Many missed/unreadable, especially the P3s’.

56-3622 Boeing KC-135E 17371

57-1491 Boeing KC-135E 17562
    there is others, can't remember numbers. 3622, we used to call that "two two".
    1491 was where I was assigned. I remember some tedious chores... days long. I did something with the plywood for the floors. I tried not to look up at the whole length, and took on one screw at a time.

it is kinda sad. The deeper learnings is applied to everything I do.

I'd love to get a tour of that junk yard. I was 19 in the early 90s when I helped service the last planes leaving loring, the junk A models last flights to a junk yard. bare bones, daredevil pilots taking them home.

Found this photo of 1491 flying:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 27, 2013, 12:17 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

F4s are loud as fk! The only other non "heavy" a/c i've heard that was louder was the F111...
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I never get tired of watching warbirds perform low-level fly-bys and then going vertical !!!

Comment

Phantoms are one of my favorite jets, thanks for the vid. Havent seen one flying in a very long time. F4s are loud as hell, as are F15s and F16s, but the Phantom is louder. I remember C141 engine runs at Rhein Main AB, those things would shake the building we lived in and it was quite a ways from the ramp, but F16s taking off out of Osan AB would make it impossible to hear what someone was saying on the phone or on the TV anywhere on base.

I miss some aspects of the Air Force, dont miss other parts of it at all... like EPRs, I dont miss those at all.

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
            F4s are loud as fk! The only other non "heavy" a/c i've heard that was louder was the F111...
            I know all about that. They came and went when we were at Kadena AFB in Okinawa '73-'76. Most of the time they flew in and out in a diamond four formation. So damn loud. Couldn't hear the tv, the phone; damn dog would howl, shit on the walls would rattle. Even entire squadrons of B-52's taking off at once weren't as loud.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

yep F4 Phantoms are very loud and a result of hearing loss in both my ears after being stationed at 3rd MAW MCAS El Toro for 3 years
              "if it's too loud you're too old !!! "sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X