Yo DF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yo DF

Can you spill any beans on the ill fated "new Chevelle" project that was hyped big in HRM a couple of years ago.

I think it was a company coming up with a way to make a late model GTO look like a 1970 Chevelle.

Long story short....it didn't.

How big a mess was that thing?

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Re: Yo DF

I remember that....looked kindy wonky to me.

Comment

You mean the HRSS?

I read a lot of things that were positive about this car, along the lines of "...looks better than what Pontiac is doing with the GTO right now", but to me that car looks like a one-of-one cluster-F for all time. There were many other ways that could've been executed.
      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I wonder just how many were sold? ~OO6.

Comment

I'll say this: GM was wise not to sign off on the rights to use the Chevelle name on that monstrosity.

That thing looks worse now than it did then...and it's only been a few short years!

Comment

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Yep....that's it.

Why does it have Mustang Mach 1 (late model) wheels on it?!

All the humanity...

(edit) Apparently they did a revised version of the front end. Still ugly in my book but loads better than the photo above. I guess the company that was doing these things folded up. We'd love in the inside scoop Dave!

Brian
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Admittedly better, however a '76 Camaro grille never was meant to be put on a GTO, and the ass end of the car looks freakin' huge with the A-body lines incorporated into it. The rear quarter glass doesn't look right, the rear wheelwells remind me of a '91 Caprice, and you've got that Pontiac-like body "block" going around the lower half of the car. Still looks like a cluster-F to me.

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Thanks a lot, Brian. I'd successfully blocked that out of my memory until now.

Actually, I didn't have much to do with it and don't recall many hard facts about it. There was a time when management at the publishing company kept wanting to license the Hot Rod name to car builders to make "Hot Rod edition" cars. The only decent one was the Hot Rod Camaro by Berger. The HRSS "Chevelle" was done along with builder in Wisconsin. It was Imagine Motorsports, I think, but the deal fell through when the partnership in the business broke up, or something like that. I think the prototype was owned by that guy who had bought all those Stielow Camaros. I think the idea may have come from Ed Zinke, who was an associate publisher on Hot Rod and later the publisher of PHR, Chevy High Performance, and a bunch of other mags.

Comment

Yeeeuuuucckkk!!
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I think the biggest shame was that F150 in like 05, looked way cool I think it was destoyed by ford or some thing like that

Comment

The Hot Rod drag -150? Yeah, I remember that too...built it all up, painted it, looked freakin' great....then some numbnut at Ford wanted it back, stock...that was a bad deal, too.

Comment

Now, the Berger HR Camaro was a SUH-WEET automobile, even if priced to the damned moon like every other good thing in life.

Trying to remember....which post-Petersen group was running the asylum at the time?

Was it the self-whoring group that made the initial purchase from Mr. Petersen, or was it that Emap circus?

Regardless, that pile of turds is a shoo-in for the Violation Game!

Comment

Working...
                        X