Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is how 'Checkbook' rodders start...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
    So in one sentence your well healed buddies became high dollar nerds you'll stay away from?

I meet people of all means and degrees of mechanical aptitude and ability to spend time on projects, I think it's more about their attitude and less about the thickness of their wallet. Might be cool guys.
    Inclined to agree with Bill. If they get it and are the real deal, it doesnt matter how much money they have. If they have tons of money they will do cool stuff like Poteet does. If they are broke but have skills they will build their own and not give a damn what anyone thinks about it as long as the work is done well.

Not everyone can do the things I can do, and I realize that because I have learned how over the last 30 years. There was a time when I didnt know how to do anything, and the difference in my body work skills between now and when I first sanded my Mustang down is immense, and eve more so with the Cougar. Lots of guys are way better than me at everything I do, so why look down on someone else because they cant do what I can?

About the only thing that really irks me is someone claiming they hand built the car when what they really did was take it around to different shops and get stuff done. Give the credit to the shops that actually do the work, they deserve it if they did a good job on it.

Comment

Funny thing - you never hear "Checkbook boater"... everyone knows you have to throw Cash at it!
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
        Funny thing - you never hear "Checkbook boater"... everyone knows you have to throw Cash at it!
        That statement gets my nomination for Statement/Observation of the Year. We all know what BOAT stands for.

I haven't done it (except for our 12-foot Jon boat on the lake in SC with an electric trolling motor on it which was free of upkeep) but I sure have seen it, and enjoyed the ride in lavish luxury with speed to go with it.

Statement/Observation of the Year right there. There it is.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Richie and I did most of the work on Frank's merc ...FREE ...does that count as checkbook rodding ?

Comment

NOPE, That's called friendship.
            Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

not true.. they have the same spread, guys that take an older used boat and bring it back to useable.. and I'm not taking the guys that restore the wooden boats..
              many boaters buy a boat from helping hands/etc and fix it and use it.. My dad did, as it was the only way he could get back into having one.. think between the g.m. crate engine and fixing the alfa drive he has 6k in it total... no different than us and buying a beater and bringing it back from the dead..

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                not true.. they have the same spread, guys that take an older used boat and bring it back to useable.. and I'm not taking the guys that restore the wooden boats..
                many boaters buy a boat from helping hands/etc and fix it and use it.. My dad did, as it was the only way he could get back into having one.. think between the g.m. crate engine and fixing the alfa drive he has 6k in it total... no different than us and buying a beater and bringing it back from the dead..
                Totally different - the guys at the marina in the $$$$$$$$ boat's don't call each other "Checkbook boater" like it's a STD. They admire the boat.

Comment

Totally different - the guys at the marina in the $$$$$$$$ boat's don't call each other "Checkbook boater" like it's a STD. They admire the boat.
                  no, they call them lucky s.o.a.b.

Comment

So instead of calling the car guys "Checkbook Rodders" we should call them a lucky SOB even if they busted their ass to get the money to buy it?

There were a lot of guys at work who were very talented with computers, spent 80 hours a week making money, and they *bought* their cars. One of my friends installed his blower on his ZO6, but I bet he would still be a "checkbook rodder" to a greaser.

I'm not sure I understand the comment "checkbook rodder" and how it could possibly have any meaning of value.

Tony, Rock On. If you can get it done, and it's DONE? Rock on.
                    Last edited by Beagle; October 3, 2013, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X