Who takes their car to a mechanic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who takes their car to a mechanic?

Yes, I am actually asking this- Im somewhat curious.

Most people here have some level of mechanical ability, but Does anyone else take their car to somebody else sometimes? Maybe that newfangled computerized thing?

I'll admit I do- Between 2 jobs, lack of time and space factor in. Recently had to have my trans serviced, so had a wheel bearing done while it was in.
    Yes
    51.52%
    No
    36.36%
    computerized things
    6.06%
    I lack a car
    6.06%
    Local person
    sigpic

Finding time to do mom's car eludes me, she thusly takes it in, then I or my son has to deal with the theiving sobs..
    Wouldn't know WHERE to take anything to get fixed.. Thus I do it myself with help from my son, his mechanic co workers and friends.
    I figure I can f'up something as well as a shop..

Comment

I;ve done it when it was beyond my abilities...computer issues that I couldnt fix...and now the clutch in the Mustang...I know I could do it but it would take days not hours...My vacation days are a precious commodity and I dont want to burn them up...plus is I f*cker it up I would need another 3 to fix it again...Car is going in at 8am and will be done around lunch time...done and done...I hid my man card so no one can pull it.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Really, nothing wrong with "taking it in" ...
        Just can't find the $$ to do so, plus why pay someone for something I can do cheaper/better (usually)

Comment

I do not have a scan tool to read OBDII codes, so for that it goes to a shop.

I do not have many of the specialized tools it takes to rebuild transmissions, so that work goes to the same shop. If I thought I would build five or more transmissions in the next 10 years I may find a way to afford the tools but I don't see the five trans builds happening so it stays what it is.

I have never set up differential gears. I have had two rears set up in the past three years and have plans to do one more some time in the future. It may be time to afford the tool set for this operation.

Everything else is done "in house".
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

If I think I can handle the job I'll do it, but I am not a
            professional mechanic so sometimes I just have to look at
            the problem and make a decision. A man has to know his
            limitations.

Comment

I usually try to fix it myself. I just put a motor in my wife's trailblazer. It's paid for in march and I am not working on it every again. It can go down the road.
              The money I save in shop rate usually goes into my mustang. If I took everything to the shop. No more mustang.
              Jeff
              Follow My Build

Comment

mechanics. hahahahaha.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

When something goes Tango Union, I figure it out and fix it.

The only thing I've farmed out in the last 20 years is auto trans work, and I'm even learning those now ... I did build my 700R4 with someone looking over my shoulder.
                  Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by ImpalaSam View Post
                    If I think I can handle the job I'll do it, but I am not a
                    professional mechanic so sometimes I just have to look at
                    the problem and make a decision. A man has to know his
                    limitations.
                    I'm with you on that plus I usually have the Hoist tied up with a Hot Rod.
                    sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

I do most of my own but occasionally take stuff to my buddy Dave's shop which is just up the road from me. It's either stuff I lack the tools for or things I just don't WANT to do - I'm old enough to make those decisions! And he does LOF's for less than I can do it at home so he gets those.

Dan

Comment

I've made no bones about hating to work on daily drivers. Yet I still do 98% of the work. Once in a while I get so sick of them that I send something out. Not because I can't do it, I'm just sick of dealing with it at that moment.
                        I'm still learning

Comment

I never had anyone work on my car
                          I wish I could afFORD it

Comment

I pretty much work on my Ford myself. The Chevy usually gets taken since it always ends up a giant pain in the ass. Especially if I need work done in hours instead of weeks. Sometimes diagnosis of a problem. I don't have near the experience of a lot of guys here so I have to accept my limits.

Comment

I haven't taken a car to a shop in over 20 years.
                              Working auto salvage teaches you what not to buy.
                              There are a few decent vehicles the rest are crap cans.
                              I can count on one hand mechanics I trust & cars I'd buy.

Comment

Working...
                              X