Bench race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench race

So, the Prius is gone, there's a TDI Jetta that's taken its place (that needs a bit of body work, so that'll show up eventually)...

And my wife still gets stuck in her 325xi, so that needs an upgrade...

hang on to your girdles

to a Land Rover

and it will be diesel.

The choices are:

MB W123 diesel
    BMW 3.0 diesel
    LR 3.0 tdi diesel

all with turbos and I will make it a manual transmission in a flavor TBD

and don't start with cummins... too heavy, I'm not redesigning the entire suspension to make it work
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 2, 2013, 10:48 AM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Better tires for the bmw sure sounds like a more sensible option?
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Norwegian marine engine. No more worries.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 2, 2013, 11:41 AM.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

this Norwegian marine engine, sporty exhaust and one more cylinder
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
          Better tires for the bmw sure sounds like a more sensible option?
          I was thinking the same thing...Like damn, my car doesnt ride like it used to, screw replacing the shocks, I am building a off road vehicle from scratch!

I know diesels can be spendy, thats about as far as I can go. But IF I WERE to be doing something like this I would look at engine longevity and cost of replacement parts/rebuild and compare the data.
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

she needs more room, beside better ground clearance.

I'm more interested in opinions or experiences people have had with the motors listed...

Comment

I know this wasn't one of the options, but why not get a vehicle that already fits the bill, instead of another project.. that you'll finish by spring.. There has to be an oilburning vehicle that fits that is a used car lot away
              Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; October 2, 2013, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                I know this wasn't one of the options, but why not get a vehicle that already fits the bill, instead of another project.. that you'll finish by spring.. There has to be an oilburning vehicle that fits that is a used car lot away
                I could lay out the math for you - trust me on this, it doesn't exist on a car lot

Comment

What, you can't buy used 4x4 diesel Tahoes?
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
                    What, you can't buy used 4x4 diesel Tahoes?
                    there is a total of one, diesel Suburban anywhere within 500 miles of me.... but, believe it or not, Suburbans are substantially larger than Land Rovers.... I know, hard to believe, but it's true.

why is this important? because what she wants is what she wants.

Comment

I cannot tell if I post anymore.. but the question you are asking has a simple answer.. find the most common one. Mercedes. In fact this thread is silliness.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

SBG - The only one I have experience with is the Benz. BTW - the engine (if you're thinking of the 5 cylinder) is the OM617 - 123 is the body designation that they generally come in. The 4 cylinder as found in the 240D can be had with a turbo and is exactly the same as the OM617 but minus a cylinder. In an uncharacteristic fit of common sense for Benz, that engine is an OM616. Or were you thinking of a different Benz engine?

Here's the deal - they're tough as nails but WAY over engineered. If you get one that needs a rebuild you don't buy pistons, which evidently are made of solid gold. However, it's a wet sleeved engine and the liners are CHEAP! So new liners and a ring and bearing set and you're done.

They're pretty cheap at our PnP - about $350ish. Several firms make trans adaptors including Bentsen's. Jags That Run makes some adaptor stuff, too. I haven't bought from Bentsen's but they have a great rep. I bought my flex disc to U-joint adaptor from JTR and they were super.

If you decide to go that way I can tell you the various vendors I'm using and my experiences with them. Pretty much I've done OK as long as I avoid stuff in a Tri-Star box.

Dan

Comment

B3.3T, inter-cool and turn the screw
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Too heavy and too tall - and I LIKE and own a Cummins. Different tools for different jobs.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                              B3.3T, inter-cool and turn the screw
                              you failed at multiple guess, didn't you?

Comment

Working...
                              X