Tools in your car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools in your car

What tools do you guys keep in your hot rods for "just in cast" situations?

In my jeep i keep a tow strap, jumper cables, flashlight, pliers, wire brush, pb blaster, a couple screw drivers, and some jb weld.
    Zip ties are nice too

Re: Tools in your car

I have way too much stuff, but never what I need.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Zip ties, JB weld, a small floor jack (maybe 1.5T?) with a four-way lug wrench, and a cheap socket kit. Also, 1 gal of antifreeze, 2qt oil, 1 qt ATF in the 'Velle, and flares in all three rides. Nothing scarier than a flat on a two-lane road at night and nobody can see you. Trust me.
      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I have too many tools in a box that weighs about 80 lbs, just ask SilverBuick, he carried it around at Goodguys this year. Plus, I have a small Craftsman 2 ton floor jack that I bought when the car fell off the bumper jack while changing a tire on the side of the road. A four way tire iron. A bag of electrical crap with test lights, wire, solderless connectors and such. A box full of Holley parts. And, a milk crate with oil, anti-freeze, etc.

I suppose I could stream line this crap, but it's nice to have when I drive 500 miles north to visit family. I also fix my friend's heaps at their house sometimes so I just get in the car and go.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
          I have too many tools in a box that weighs about 80 lbs, just ask SilverBuick, he carried it around at Goodguys this year. Plus, I have a small Craftsman 2 ton floor jack that I bought when the car fell off the bumper jack while changing a tire on the side of the road. A four way tire iron. A bag of electrical crap with test lights, wire, solderless connectors and such. A box full of Holley parts. And, a milk crate with oil, anti-freeze, etc.

I suppose I could stream line this crap, but it's nice to have when I drive 500 miles north to visit family. I also fix my friend's heaps at their house sometimes so I just get in the car and go.
          I match your 80lb box with my 60lb one, only because I have a smaller trunk :P

I run two tool boxes, one with most the tools and one that is usually the junkyard special meaning that it is cut down to pretty much standard sockets and any thing I think I'd need at the junkyard. Then depending where I'm going to go (anywhere outside of town) I'll grab the pertinent fluids, jumper cables, electric tire pump and a few electrical things.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I carry a Leatherman tool, a flashlight, and a cell phone. If I can't fix it with the first two, I use the third. I used to carry tons of crap around and I found that, as mentioned earlier, I usually needed something I didn't have with me. I also have no problem driving on a flat tire until it's destroyed to get off the side of the road. I've had the shit scared out of me changing a tire in the wrong place before-a hundred dollar tire isn't worth dying for.

I do have a specific "junkyard" toobox that weighs about 60lbs and a dolly with big pneumatic tires to drag it around the yard.

Comment

3/8,7/16,1/2 and 9/16 combo wrenches.......common and cross tip screw drivers, an adjustable wrench and a hammer.....

Comment

Nothing...I get free towing, if it breaks, it gets towed-then I fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by min301
                  That's cheating ;)

Comment

Uh-uh ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Woodward_Dreams
                      That's cheating ;)
                      Me too, itīs life threatning to change a wheel at the roadside now.

Comment

Originally posted by malc
                        Originally posted by Woodward_Dreams
                        That's cheating ;)
                        Me too, itīs life threatning to change a wheel at the roadside now.
                        Exactly, not to mention, cops don't like you doing stuff on the side of the highway, anyhow.

Comment

I have my stuff trained so it only breaks in parking lots.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                            I have my stuff trained so it only breaks in parking lots.

You must share your secrets.....

Comment

In the Duster, a screwdriver for emergency jump starting (have used it a couple times for that purpose!) and a set of jumper cables, which I used to start a 9 second Corvette in the staging lanes at Milan Dragway, haha. And that's about it. I don't even keep a spare tire in it. :-\

Funny thing is (knock on wood) I have never been left stranded in it. Once a fuel line broke when I pulled back in my own driveway, after a long drive. It killed an alternator in the garage too, after acting up during a cruise. And some leaves caught on fire in the heater box, luckily I was at home for that too.

Comment

Working...
                              X