Cool old Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool old Tools

I'm a big fan of tools that were built to last. It's hard to find these days, especially with places like Harbor Freight importing super inexpensive tools... Anyway, here are some pics of some great old tools I have accumulated over the years.

First, my drill press. I love this thing - it works great, and looks amazing, with the machine-turned trim.

I also have this ANCIENT Black and Decker valve grinder. One of the motors has been replaced, but otherwise it's just as it was built. I think it's from the '40s.

A valve grinder is great, but you need something to do the seats as well. I have this cool hard seat grinder thatis a little bit newer than the valve grinder. Still works, but I need to buy some new stones for it.

I know some of you out there have stuff that will put mine to shame, post them up!

Re: Cool old Tools

Thats cool man. Old stuff that has been used is really cool to me

Comment

I have an really old Black and Decker drill that my Dad bought before I was born. It's single speed, non reversible, shoots sparks out of the motor, and gets bloody hot; but I run it for literally hours with sanding discs, wire brushes and still keeps going.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

My 1946 South Bend lathe....

and my lab scope, which will put anything dieselgeek can come up with to shame

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I used to have that same o-scope! The power cord was all chewed on by various rodents though, and even after replacing it, I still couldn't get a stable signal. Something was wrong with it, so I gave it away.

Awesome lathe though, I'm very jealous.

Comment

The scope worked last time I tried it. Several years ago the high voltage quit, my brother replaced a couple capacitors and it's been fine since. The thing is a little bit older than me....I'm from 1961...

My fabulous web page

Comment

Early 50's vintage 16" Walker-Turner bandsaw.

500lbs of old school cast iron. Originally a metal cutting machine, I changed the pulleys and put a bigger motor on it to resaw hardwoods. Also made a new base for it as the original cast iron one was used up. You can't buy a machine this size this good for any price today.

Comment

Originally posted by ecniv
                I used to have that same o-scope!
                As did I, but I dropped t and broke the CRT. Was a good o-scope for it's age.

Comment

Mr. 4Speed -
                  I lust after your bandsaw - it's just too cool. I'd have to slow it down again, but that's minor. I'm just starting the hunt for one for the shop, but likely won't buy for a while as the $$ account will have to wait to get recharged.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                    Mr. 4Speed -
                    I lust after your bandsaw - it's just too cool. I'd have to slow it down again, but that's minor. I'm just starting the hunt for one for the shop, but likely won't buy for a while as the $$ account will have to wait to get recharged.

Dan
                    Just keep your eyes open for them all the time. Most any of the machines built before the 60's are all really good stuff. They can usually be had for a fraction of the cost of a new machine of the same size, and they're far better. Easy to restore and "hot rod" to. I bought that one for $350 and spent another $100 or so on a bigger motor and quality switch for it. A new 16" that's not Chinese would be $1500 or more. You can pick up the 14" machines for next to nothing, but they're considerably smaller overall. Might be plenty depending on what you need it to do. Just remember that a big bandsaw will do everything a little one will do, but not the other way around. And yes, old machines can be an obsession-fair warning.

Comment

I don't have much for old tools, I was given an old craftman tablesaw but it didn't have the guts in it so now it is a portable fab table. I know it's not a hotrod tool but I have a remington model 10 that was made in feb. 1926. I love old tools power or hand, hopefully I'll find a nice saw like that walker or something similar for the garage!

Comment

I won't take a pic of it, but I have a 1/2-inch Black & Decker contractors drill...Model 1
                        My dad found it in an Illinois snowbank in the mid '50s, and gave it to me (with the cord cut off) in the late '80s. I took it to the B&D service center and they put new brushers in the motor and a new cord on it for $18.
                        350rpm. It has a screw-in pipe handle on top of the body, opposite the trigger handle, and a D-handle on the back.
                        It'll walk a 1-inch diameter, 12-inch long wood auger bit through two stacked 6x6 treated beams as though it doesn't even have a load on it. I once hit a piece of rebar in a beam, and it spun me around.

That's the coolest old tool I have. Second coolest would be the Pexto jump shear I just bought.

-Brad

Comment

I have the Western Auto version of that drill

My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by Brad54
                            I won't take a pic of it, but I have a 1/2-inch Black & Decker contractors drill...Model 1
                            My dad found it in an Illinois snowbank in the mid '50s, and gave it to me (with the cord cut off) in the late '80s. I took it to the B&D service center and they put new brushers in the motor and a new cord on it for $18.
                            350rpm. It has a screw-in pipe handle on top of the body, opposite the trigger handle, and a D-handle on the back.
                            It'll walk a 1-inch diameter, 12-inch long wood auger bit through two stacked 6x6 treated beams as though it doesn't even have a load on it. I once hit a piece of rebar in a beam, and it spun me around.

That's the coolest old tool I have. Second coolest would be the Pexto jump shear I just bought.

-Brad
                            JUST CALL IT ARM TWISTER LOL you know it is true

Comment

Working...
                            X