Damn Right I got The Blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn Right I got The Blues

Sorry - had to rub it in a little. Any of you youngun's who don't know Mr. Guy, I strongly suggest you YouTube him.

Dan
    Attached Files

heard it yesterday... Done Got Old

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I enjoy blues.

Joe Bonamassa (seen in concert last year)
      Gary Clark Jr.
      Many others. 31 still considered young?
      Nick Smithberg
      www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Nick, 31 is just out of childhood! Still, glad to see younger folks catching on to the blues. The piece that Beags posted is great but not particularly typical of Mr. Guy's work. He's one of the founding fathers of Chicago electric blues guitar. An FYI - he was on stage with Eric Clapton, Jimmy Vaughn, and others the night Stevie Ray's chopper went down in Illinois. I wasn't right for weeks after that one.

Dan

Comment

Hell yeah!
          I'd love to see Buddy Guy, I was just listening to his album Living Proof, awesome stuff
          Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Dan, my father is really into blues so its playing around the shop (along with classic rock ie Zeplin etc). I'll just say the music grew on me over time and I started to gain a lot of appreciation for it. What probably sealed the deal for me was an extra ticket my dad had (with nobody else to go besides me) to Joe Bonamassa. That was one hell of a concert and man can that guy play! WOW! Certainly witnessing something opens your eyes....

FYI - Stevie is my favorite!
            (Both guys are Jimi Hendrix fans.....so am I!)
            Nick Smithberg
            www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Originally posted by BOSSMAN View Post
              FYI - Stevie is my favorite!
              (Both guys are Jimi Hendrix fans.....so am I!)
              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I'm one of the few folks I've ever met who saw both Stevie Ray (7 times) and Jimi live. Saw Jimi at the Grande Ballroom in Detroit before he was famous in the US. Anyhow, Jimi was more creative and figured out a lot of the stuff that modern players play. But just in terms of guitar playing ability, Stevie was the best and possibly the best there ever will be. Just amazing. And he was a MUCH better singer than Mr. Hendrix. But of course, each had his strong points and I feel privileged to have seen them both.

And now to see Buddy Guy! I'm hyped up for this one!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  I'm one of the few folks I've ever met who saw both Stevie Ray (7 times) and Jimi live. Saw Jimi at the Grande Ballroom in Detroit before he was famous in the US. Anyhow, Jimi was more creative and figured out a lot of the stuff that modern players play. But just in terms of guitar playing ability, Stevie was the best and possibly the best there ever will be. Just amazing. And he was a MUCH better singer than Mr. Hendrix. But of course, each had his strong points and I feel privileged to have seen them both.

And now to see Buddy Guy! I'm hyped up for this one!

Dan
                  I missed my one opportunity to see Hendrix at Woodstock.
                  Jealous you got to see both Stevie and Jimi............and now Buddy Guy
                  Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I am 27 and have heard of Buddy Guy. Can't say I've heard his music, but I'll have to look it up. Will also have to ask my guitar jamming buddy about him. I'm sure he knows of him

Comment

Originally posted by BOSSMAN View Post
                      ...What probably sealed the deal for me was an extra ticket my dad had (with nobody else to go besides me) to Joe Bonamassa. That was one hell of a concert and man can that guy play! WOW! Certainly witnessing something opens your eyes...
                      Bonamassa is arguably the best guitarist since Stevie Ray. He does put on a great show.
                      Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Dan, I like Buddy Guy, too. At his best.

The one time I've seen him live, it was so many years ago, Buddy had a white guy guitarist with him who basically carried the show. Buddy was stoned out of his gourd. At that show, Buddy kinda looked like Buckwheat, just standing there grinning. Holding the guitar. The famous black and white polka-dot guitar. He barely played it.

Hope you enjoy the show Dan and hope Buddy puts on a good one!
                        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I've heard this song done a lot of different ways, but - this one is THE one - in my book.

There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Buddy Guy and Junior Wells... I picked up some Junior Wells a few years back. You can see the influence in many old Blues Man's music on modern music.. and these are the YOUNG blues guys. Look at Clapton's career or the first couple of Led Zepplin albums, strooong American blues influence.

Stevie Ray got booed off the stage at Montreux the first time he played there - how's that for messed up?
                            Last edited by Beagle; October 7, 2013, 04:56 AM.
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

There's a bit of a story behind me deciding to get these tickets. I always wanted to catch Ray Charles live and figured I had plenty of time. Well, he died before I got around to it. So did Eubie Blake, one of the greatest piano players to ever live.

So I decided not to miss Buddy Guy. Our kids lived in Chicago for several years and I told myself I'd catch him at his club when we were visiting. He owns a club in Chicago called, IIRC, "Buddy Guy's". Anyhow, he just never happened to be at the club when we were in town. So when he was announced as the headliner at the Seafood, Jazz and Blues festival, I was THERE! Like fate brought him my way, finally.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X