Bud Moore Mustang Suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bud Moore Mustang Suspension

So reading through the most recent Car Craft and I noticed a reference to something I've been thinking about for a while.

"Monoball Strut Rods"

Now early Mustangs, my Riviera, and Scott's Impala all have strut rods or "brake reaction rods" as GM calls them connected to the lower control arm. My rubber is original, Scott's replacement rubber failed way too fast and I know some folks offer heim joints for that location. Anyone have any pictures of the Monoball actually being used in a strut rod?

I've been contemplating using a ball joint there and digging through Coleman Racing or any other circle track catalog shows monoballs to replace ball joints, why can't I use a ball joint where Trans-Am racers used a monoball?

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

70 camaro subframe is perfect

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
      No....
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

we used a 75 chevllecamino frame under the mercury ,,,fantastic handling and lower than low ..no bags ..no hydraulics

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
          We actually talked about grafting one on the front of my Impala, but I couldn't afford the work. My friend Yannick said he would help, but he didn't have the room for a friend's car taking up space in the shop for such a long period.

I had a plan to replace the strut rods with fabbed up ones with rod ends. It didnt happen yet.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

looking at the images of the monoballs it looks like the joint is in a 2 piece housing that's welded together to "keep" the joint in the housing, where a everyday ball joint is a one piece housing that's folded over the joint.. I'd hazard to guess the standard ball joint would pull apart long before the monoball set up would.. and with that link used to keep the lower arm from folding backwards when hitting a bump/pothole or curb it just put the balljoint in stress it wasn't made for
            they were not designed to be pulled in a forth and aft motion..

Comment

In the Mustang world,early Mustangs,there are a few companies doing strut rod bearings.
              I run an adjustable strut rod from OpenTracker Racing. It uses a custom forward mount with a Heim joint.
              Global West,Total Control an others uses a mono ball type mount that looks good too.

Comment

heim joint

Comment

Working...
                X