Counterfeit Automotive Products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by groucho View Post
    So, just WHERE might you beware of such imposter parts? Internet only?
    Maybe swap meets? If you buy direct from the manufacturer of said products, or a reputable supplier I'm pretty sure you'd get the real part you were looking for. If not, well, you know.
    "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Orange95Z View Post
      Maybe swap meets? If you buy direct from the manufacturer of said products, or a reputable supplier I'm pretty sure you'd get the real part you were looking for. If not, well, you know.
      Wonder if the whole world is a seller's market or what to begin with.

At Barber this weekend, there was Rob, the guy who finished mounting the cooling hoses on my brakes, right here in Cleveland. He was surprised as hell to see me there, but I wasn't at all surprised to see him. He does all those track day things in some capacity.

He was doing car inspections in the paddock area and told his partner, "Make sure those brake cooling hoses are on there tight enough!"

So he asked me, did I ever get out of the tire problem I was having (when last we spoke). Yeah, I had to buy 8 Continental Extreme Contact D/W's from Tire Rack to finally get 4 round ones, visibly out of round on the tire machine.

He said a buddy of his went through exactly the same thing. Same thing exactly. I felt relieved. Somewhat.

Not fake stuff. Just bad stuff from a reputable manufacturer and a reputable distributor.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

CHEVROLET CHEVY GM 327 350 454 MINI STARTER MOTOR 3HP

A ripoff or dyslexia ?

Comment

The truth is buying parts is not easy because in many cases you really cannot tell that the part is counterfeit.

I remember one guy showing me three brand new manifolds and each one was in a brand new box from a major name company racing company and then asking me to examine in each one and let me know which one I thought was the tricked up manifold.

I could not see any differences in the runners or anything else and then he showed me the dyno pulls that were done with each one. One manifold with no other changes to the engine showed 40 more horsepower!!!!!!!!!!

I asked how much that trick part cost and the answer was $1,800 dollars and my next question was could it pass a NASCAR tech and he told me it already had passed with no problems.

How much is 40 HP worth in racing? You be the judge on that one.

Jimbo

Comment

Working...
          X