No announcement yet.

Washington State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had tailpipe testing here until a few years ago. This area is bowl shaped, crap comes in, settles, and our air quality sinks. Some brainiac in local government devised a tailpipe sniffer plan to get the federal government air quality board off our back as we would be trying to correct the problem(s). Never once did they (local govt) make industry clean up their pollution, just the average vehicle owner as city/county vehicles including police, fire, ems, school busses, city busses, were all exempt along with semi trucks and other diesel vehicles.

So around 1983 the plan is implemented and annual testing made mandatory with criminal punishment for failure to comply. In the early years if your vehicle did not pass you could have it checked out and once a predetermined amount of money was spent trying to fix it, the vehicle would be exempted for that year. After several years the exemption process was eliminated and the vehicle had to comply, no exemptions. I never had to fight that battle so I don't know of all the details. Vehicles built prior to 1984 only got sniffer tested. Models years '84 & newer got a visual check to make sure the catalytic converter and under hood emission controls were still in place. Once OBD2 came out the visual stopped and the computer was checked for codes.

After 18/19 years a rolling 25 year cutoff was put into place. Some one was smart enough to realize that if anyone had a vehicle that age still on the road it was likely maintained well enough to pass the sniffer anyway. Then a real bit of news was released to the public; the emissions testing program was not run by any government agency but a local businessman/politician. For twenty years or more, every vehicle registered in the county and as many commuters from surrounding counties that they could nab had been paying $8.25 per vehicle per year for this testing. Meanwhile studies had been done and the results were that 99.7% of all vehicles tested passed the first time and that the air quality had not dramatically increase during the time the testing had been in practice. Within two years the whole system was done away with.
    Last edited by 68scott385; October 9, 2013, 09:37 PM.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by 1970camaroRS View Post
      Our state is funny. It's county by county and every county is a little different. But the gist of it is:

"Hybrid vehicles that get 50 mpg or better in the city are exempt from emissions testing. But emissions testing is required for all other gasoline and diesel vehicles between five and 25 years old that are registered in the following Washington counties:
      • Clark
      • King
      • Pierce
      • Snohomish
      • Spokane

Your car will need to be retested every two years."

My next daily driver will be from 1978 to 1982, so I don't have anything to care about.
      again... not true. Cars and trucks manufactured after 2009 are exempt... all cars and trucks, not just hybrids.... that was what surprised the heck out of me today.

this, directly from the State website
      Vehicles between five and twenty-five years old require testing every other year.

If you are new to the state or for licenses that expire in 2013, odd model year vehicles 1989 through 1995 and even model year vehicles 1996 through 2008 need to test before licensing. See chart.

A test is also required to transfer the registered ownership between private parties for 1989 through 2008 model year vehicles unless the vehicle has been tested within the last 365 days. A test is not required to transfer the registered ownership between parents, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, spouses, legal domestic partners, or present co-owners or to change the legal owner.

The following vehicles never need emission tests:
      • [*=left]Motorcycles
        [*=left]2009 and newer models
        [*=left]Toyota Prius and Honda Insight

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 9, 2013, 09:54 PM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
        haha that's pissa no checks on new cars, and I wonder if Washington state will go like most states with a rolling year cut off, cali 4 years my state nothing!!! obII up gets just pluged into the cars com. port
        so the 98 back gets tested until you get 25 years old then no testing, just it can't be a smoke stack HA!

but like anything government, rules subject to change at the whim of some jackwagon looking to make a name for him/her self..
        here because of the hybrids,electrics and soon coming fuel cell
        they are try'n to pass a milage tax.. everyyear when inspected they'll record your milage and then the state will send you a bill.. HOW nice>>
        I have already got a 2nd speedo for the fiero, looking for one for the monte SS, and will get a 2nd for the c-10..
        but new car owners will be f__________'d
        as I said before, we already have a rolling exemption.

Comment

and... in answer to my other question about emission testing the diesel conversion to the Land Rover

DIESEL VEHICLE OWNERS: These diesel vehicles do not require an emission test:
          • All diesel powered passenger vehicles weighing less than 6,001 pounds
          • All diesel vehicles model year 2007 and newer, regardless of weight.

A land rover weights 4800 lbs

Comment

4800 lb's, I find that hard to believe
            are they that much of a tin can
            wifes sport trac is 5600 and half that's open air space(bed) and it's plastic
            Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; October 9, 2013, 10:06 PM.

Comment

4800 lb's, I find that hard to believe
              are they that much of a tin can
              wifes sport trac is 5600 and half that's open air space(bed) and it's plastic
              they're made mostly of aluminum....

and that is kind of funny since my H3 weights 4850 dry.....
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 9, 2013, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                they're made mostly of aluminum....

and that is kind of funny since my H3 weights 4850 dry.....
                a Camaro 2012 is 4200+
                think your #'s are off

h3 is a big truck the other g.m. trucks made from same basic parts are way over 5000lb's
                Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; October 9, 2013, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1970camaroRS View Post
                  Our state is funny. It's county by county and every county is a little different. But the gist of it is:

"Hybrid vehicles that get 50 mpg or better in the city are exempt from emissions testing. But emissions testing is required for all other gasoline and diesel vehicles between five and 25 years old that are registered in the following Washington counties:
                  • Clark
                  • King
                  • Pierce
                  • Snohomish
                  • Spokane

Your car will need to be retested every two years."

My next daily driver will be from 1978 to 1982, so I don't have anything to care about.
                  Not all of Snohomish County gets tested. From Arlington north and east=no test.

Comment

a Camaro 2012 is 4200+
                    think your #'s are off

h3 is a big truck the other g.m. trucks made from same basic parts are way over 5000lb's
                    H3s are made on Colorado chassis... not a big truck - seriously Google is your friend (although, in this case I weighed mine before I started modifying)

As your mind is already blown, here, let me give you another one.

My 1983 diesel Chevrolet, 4x4 truck weighs almost exactly the same as my H3....

and yes, only 600# more than a new, portly Camaro.

I can't wait to weigh my Buick when its done - it's remarkably easy to move around my shop; so I have a suspicion I'm going to be quite pleased at its fighting weight

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                      H3s are made on Colorado chassis... not a big truck - seriously Google is your friend (although, in this case I weighed mine before I started modifying)

As your mind is already blown, here, let me give you another one.

My 1983 diesel Chevrolet, 4x4 truck weighs almost exactly the same as my H3....

and yes, only 600# more than a new, portly Camaro.

I can't wait to weigh my Buick when its done - it's remarkably easy to move around my shop; so I have a suspicion I'm going to be quite pleased at its fighting weight
                      the 83 I can believe as they didn't have much in the way new trucks do..
                      I was thinking h2 as that's a tank

Comment

the 83 I can believe as they didn't have much in the way new trucks do..
                        I was thinking h2 as that's a tank
                        You'd be surprised how many people, even IRL, mistake the H3 for an H2.... and you'd love this argument. It's real - really, yelling at me and everything. I was talking to someone who told me my 3 was a 2 and I corrected him; then he said "well they're still huge." I said, but smaller than a 4 door Rubi.... guy started yelling at me (there are some weird people in Sultan).... then a Rubicon pulled up next to me... then he walked away. Ken, the guy driving the Rubi, wondered what was up - I wasn't quite sure how to answer him since I was laughing myself to tears.

Comment

I was shocked to see a roadside emissions test in one of the small cities here in Norcal. They blocked off a lane of traffic, set up a mobile dyno and the test equipment.

I need to figure out what my rights are when faced with this latest intrusion.
                          I'm still learning

Comment

Same as DUI check point I believe, one legal turning point after the first sign. I've seen them a half dozen times in southern California and I haven't lived there for years so I'm guessing their legality is proven.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Now that roadside deal is a big one here in Ohio... but its for a safety check. No horn and you owe the state $250.00. Now you don't have to have any type of check to get plates or licence renewed, ya just gotta be unlucky and get stuck in the random roadside checks... talk about unfair. Not long ago I was on my way to pick up some parts and was forced to drive without the front nosepiece and hood on my ride, no lights and no front bumper attached.... and I came up on the damn roadside check..... All the Super Troopers were busy and had a a couple cars already que'd up for inspection so none of them were available to flag over new income sources....... But boy did they all stare at me when I went by..... So I looked skyward and said a big thankyou.
                              Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

I feel for you guys that have to put up with that crap. Oklahoma gave up inspections years ago due to the cost of monitoring and corruption. A lot of inspectors were just passing cars for an extra few dollars.
                                Of course, half the cars on the road now wouldn't even be accepted at salvage yards they're in such bad shape.

Comment

Working...
                                X