Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the simplest electronic conversion for early GM dizzys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the simplest electronic conversion for early GM dizzys?

I've seen some where a module goes on the 2 screws that held the points and nothing in place of the OG cam that opened the points. THX
    STUGOTS

I've had a Pertronix one on the Caprice for years.

Crane made one before the bankruptsy, buy out, reorganization, and reopening. Not sure they still do.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

simplest equal cheap? ebay has a lot. A cool thing is swapping the whole thing.. but I have seen the little modules. Look like bleeders by sight of them. I did not stop bitching until optical with a digital ramp in a separate computer.. A v8 is easy however, easy going.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Put a Petronix on a boat for a guy. They have one that uses the lobes for the points to trigger it. Has an "LS" suffix on the part number.

Comment

I think that's the one I want. Is there an air gap to adjust between the lobes and module? THX
          Originally posted by phitter67 View Post
          Put a Petronix on a boat for a guy. They have one that uses the lobes for the points to trigger it. Has an "LS" suffix on the part number.
          STUGOTS

Comment

No it just locates off existing holes. I'll post a scan of the instructions, but it's not a very clear one.Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	872800Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0002.jpg
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	872801

Comment

The module is riveted to the plate (shaded in the pic). the mounting holes have no adjustment. You put it in just like changing points. It says to use a points style coil, 1.5 ohm primary resistance. It says that in the scan, really!

Comment

Seems simple enough. I wonder why not use the same screws that held the points(?). Seems the rivet gun might hit the mech adv mechanism. Thanks for this
                The module is riveted to the plate (shaded in the pic). the mounting holes have no adjustment. You put it in just like changing points. It says to use a points style coil, 1.5 ohm primary resistance. It says that in the scan, really!
                Last edited by groucho; October 9, 2013, 05:49 PM.
                STUGOTS

Comment

Here's two pics. I don't put thoughts in writing well sometimes.Click image for larger version

Name:	parts 007.jpg
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	872802Click image for larger version

Name:	parts 008.jpg
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	872803

Comment

I hope U didn't rip it outta the guy's boat to take those pics. LOL. Looks like the point's screws should work on that.
                    Here's two pics. I don't put thoughts in writing well sometimes.[ATTACH=CONFIG]25155[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25156[/ATTACH]
                    STUGOTS

Comment

It's just a magnetic pickup. It uses a ring that screws to the bottom of the rotor. Needs a minimum of .010 and maximum of .060" between the magnetic pickup and the ring to function. If the distributor has too much play, you will need a shim kit.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Anyone know what's the difference between that kit and the one that picks up off the OG point lobes (the one w/ls in the pt #)?
                        Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                        It's just a magnetic pickup. It uses a ring that screws to the bottom of the rotor. Needs a minimum of .010 and maximum of .060" between the magnetic pickup and the ring to function. If the distributor has too much play, you will need a shim kit.
                        STUGOTS

Comment

I have the crane fireball kit with rev limiter
                          I don't need it, 50.00 and it's yours, still in packaging(sealed)

part#750-1710

FYI summit still sells it
                          Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; October 9, 2013, 07:23 PM.

Comment

in 2010 ..after 3 Pertronix were bad out of the box , I can't recommend pertronix anything

Comment

Groucho, you are hopeless.

Free Shipping - PerTronix Ignitor Lobe Sensor Solid-State Igntion Systems with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Electronic Distributor Conversion Kits at Summit Racing.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X