Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the simplest electronic conversion for early GM dizzys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think if you like the Pertronix family, your choice is between a drop-in (1181LS) or dizzy pull and build model (1181).

I can't imagine the thought of pulling it, and removing and replacing the gear to shim it scares you, so it would probably come down to a matter of convenience. I can see how the lobe sensing version works, but I can't imagine it would provide the same timing accuracy/stability initially or over time.
    Last edited by PatricksDad; October 11, 2013, 05:43 AM.
    "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

The Crane XR-i series of digital points conversion modules do receive their trigger signal from the lobes on the stock points cam. No "magnetic rings" are needed. The module contains a magnet to provide the hall effect trigger from the lobes. Even with a worn points cam it will average the lobe values to provide properly indexed firing pulses. They also have a built in rev limiter, adjustable from 4000 to 8000 RPM. The 750-1710 is for 1957-74 Chevy V8's with single points distributors. Regards, Chase

Comment

Great info here guys, thanks
        STUGOTS

Comment

I got it and it started to misfire @ around 4000 RPM after the 4th dyno pull. ***FAIL****
          Originally posted by phitter67 View Post
          Put a Petronix on a boat for a guy. They have one that uses the lobes for the points to trigger it. Has an "LS" suffix on the part number.
          Last edited by groucho; October 25, 2013, 02:17 PM.
          STUGOTS

Comment

Hmmm. Well he ran it around on the Ohio River for a few months before he sold it. Maybe he got lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by phitter67 View Post
              Hmmm. Well he ran it around on the Ohio River for a few months before he sold it. Maybe he got lucky.
              the Ohio open SEWER....
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

I removed another Pertronix, this time from a SBF. Customer says it runs much better with the points.
                STUGOTS

Comment

Working...
                X