OEM "quality"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM "quality"

So I was supposed to be at the drags today running the Nova but last minute plans left me with the intrepid companion all day with no other options. Taking a 20 month old to the drags for a while to see friends is one thing (we've done that twice) taking him there and trying to run the car was going to be a disaster, so we scratched that.

With idle time on my hands I realized my wife's car was ready for the ol' oil and lube. I hopped in the car with my son to go grab the oil and filter and two seconds out of the driveway realized that something was really weird with the suspension.

I called my wife and she confirmed that the car had been "driving weird" for a week or so (I always drive my truck...because it's a company rig with a gas card). Glad she said something... :

So we get the oil and filter, all the while I'm trying to figure out if it's a bad strut or what. Me and Tom (OK, I while yelling at Tom to stay where I could see him) changed the oil and then proceeded to root around under the car to see what was up.

Then my hand landed on the offending piece that was flopping in the breeze.

That end link didn't come from Chrysler in pieces. This is a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica (I KNOW...my wife loved the thing, what the hell do you want me to do?) It's a porcine, underpowered, station wagony thing that come with autostick (akin to having paddle shifters on a Bluebird school bus)

So this car is 3 years old and this end link came apart seemingly because the rubber boot did not seal it properly allowing grit and crap to get in the socket that the ball rides in and it hogged itself out. Why did it happen so quick? It's f'n plastic.

If my wife had to make some emergency manuver on the highway there's not telling what would have happened, the thing was skittish and weird at low speed, let alone the highway. How much was saved per part with plastic VS a greaseable metal alternative? The replacements (I did both) were TRW pieces and could be used to bludgeon someone to death with.

It's amazing the areas that manufacturers decide to cut costs in. Delete the fake f'n wood in the cabin. That won't kill my wife and son.

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Re: OEM "quality"

Glad you caught it before something terrible happened to your family. Not surprised to see that in the least though. Ford has been doing it for years with their cars. Good call on replacing it with good, quality parts. I wouldn't let the dealer touch it either.

Comment

Cost-cutting measures, Brian.

It's US that ends up on the losing end of things normally.

Usually done to satisfy the bean-counters that are looking to cut corners no matter what.

I know how you feel...been there with the '96 trans sport that we still have as a back-up.

Tie-rod ends that aren't serviceable from the factory....so much that isn' serviceable, just gas'n'go...

Glad you caught it in time....speaking as a father of 3, the alternative is too much to bear.

Comment

Same thing happened to a buddy's Caravan (or Town and Country, I don't remember which). I wonder if they use the same parts from the old corporate parts bin?

Comment

Since they were in stock at the local Advance Auto Parts, I'm guessing it's a broad spectrum application.

Scary.

Brian

Comment

Ive replaced lots of those stock are crap. replacements are industrial if you know what i mean

Comment

I can understand the original mindset...I follow it myself....

Keeo the wife in something new, less chance of it breaking down and stranding her and the kid(s) in the middle of nowhere.

Hell, shit like this is what makes the case for old stuff....at least you can grease the damned things.

I could launch into a diatribe against the "plastic world", but it's a moot point.

Glad you caught that before tradgedy struck, Brian...

Comment

Originally posted by fabricatordave
                Ive replaced lots of those stock are crap. replacements are industrial if you know what i mean
                Dude, I could use the TRW replacement to overthrow my town government if I wanted to. I made the guy double check the numbers at the parts counted to make sure I got the right stuff, that's how stark the difference was. I didn't zap any pre install photos (I should have for comparisons sake).

I'm definitely not the type to be overly dramatic about stuff, but this freaked me out. The steering was so darty and bizarre (much like all the stuff I owned in High School) and my wife is not Tonya Turk or any of the other enthusiast minded women we have here at CJTV. She's a typical "girl in a car". A 65 mph emergency lane change in this thing would have puckered my ass so tight a 10 penny nail wouldn't make it in (Smokey Yunick line). It would have been way ugly for her.

Michelin's slogan is dead nuts....there's a lot riding on those tires.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by HillbillySailor
                  Glad you caught it before something terrible happened to your family. Not surprised to see that in the least though. Ford has been doing it for years with their cars. Good call on replacing it with good, quality parts. I wouldn't let the dealer touch it either.
                  please dont start bashing dealers , Ive fixed enough independant and shade tree garage cobbled together messes. and as for most of the so called perfomance shops in this area, they are not much better than a pep boys. like the RACE shop that ran a nitrous feed line through the rear coil spring . and the chassis dyno shop that blew the intake off a bullit, leaving chunks in the ceiling of the building.
                  Reading , Pa
                  Good Guys rodders rep.
                  "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                  Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto
                    Originally posted by HillbillySailor
                    please dont start bashing dealers , Ive fixed enough independant and shade tree garage cobbled together messes. and as for most of the so called perfomance shops in this area, they are not much better than a pep boys. like the RACE shop that ran a nitrous feed line through the rear coil spring . and the chassis dyno shop that blew the intake off a bullit, leaving chunks in the ceiling of the building.
                    Whoa. Throttle back there, Turbo. I'm not bashing the guys who wrench on the stuff at the dealers. I'm bashing the quality of the parts. If Brian took it to the dealer, they would've replaced it with the same stock crap that went bad in the first place. And the kicker of it is most people don't know any better. Would the dealer put the TRW stuff on that Brian bought, or would they insist that the bad parts be replaced with OEM parts??

Comment

I know there are plenty of guys here that make their living working at dealerships, and I'd never question their skills or ability.

My frustration was with parts that seemingly don't belong on a Power Wheels, let alone a nearly 5000lb car.

Brian

Comment

This is the whole reason why I have never considerd a DCX or even just prior MoPar. They are cheap and stylish and to me that just spells time bomb. Amazingly the only thing that has caught my interest of any sort from DCX recently is the SRT-4 Caliber but even then one look on the inside and it was game over.
                        Central TEXAS Sleeper
                        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I feel your pain...My Regal has a tendency to eat taillight wiring like none other. In the three years I've owned it, I've gone through probably twenty reverse and taillight bulbs, had the rear trunk panel part rewired twice, and as a result, had to replace the turn-signal switch in the column (that was a pricey bill!!) I have the front foglight that loves to collect water, and the almost end of the car for me, the shifter broke. With a GM W-body, there is the electronic chip that informes the car when the shifter is in Park, and allows the key to be turned all the way back for removal. Mine started acting up, would take a severe beating before the car gave up the key. I do like the car, but like anything else, take the good with the bad.

That tie-rod end looks f-n frightning. Pacifica is freakin' huge, almost a Durango, and they rely on plastic. No wonder I keep reading "the demise of Chrysler" all over the place.
                          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Another reason I won't own a new car.

The bean counters are there to save the CEO's and the company money in order to make the company's stock more desirable. This is nothing new. It was the bean counter's info back in 71 that said the likelihood of the Pinto's gas tank exploding in an accident and the ensuing lawsuits was cheaper than putting an $11 part on all the cars to make them safer.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The offending piece is a sway bar link, not a tie rod end, right?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X