No announcement yet.

Opinions on Oldsmobile 455

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How hard is it to find, and how expensive is a BOP 200r4?

That and a ring/ pinion swap would be far less work / hassle / money than swapping the entire drivetrain to an LS / 4L60E.

You might even get lucky and not have to mess with the drive shaft between 200 / 350???
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post

That and a ring/ pinion swap would be far less work / hassle / money than swapping the entire drivetrain to an LS / 4L60E.

You might even get lucky and not have to mess with the drive shaft between 200 / 350???
      This is also a thought I've had. Looking for a good BOP 200r4 in this area is proving to be difficult, as is a g-body 8.5" 10-bolt. I wouldn't waste any time or money on the 7.5" that's in the car now.
      1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
      1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

Any 2004r he finds will need serious new hard parts to live behind any mild or more big block build. Plus 2004r's have a crap valve body doesn't allow for automatic redline shift point tuning as simply as other automatics (like governor weights, etc), basically most will shift WOT at 5,000rpm (or less) regardless of the TV cable setting and a shift kit is needed to hold the gear longer manually. It wouldn't be that cheap of an option unless he scores some good deals from people. Which isn't out of the realm of possibilities.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I have been "pro keep the engine that's in it in it" for this thread - swap trans only, or trans and axle.

doesn't 200r4 have a larger numerical 1st plus over drive - to make better use of highway gearing?
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

PowerNation TV is America's most watched automotive how-to programming. It is the most credible, highest-rated, longest-running tech content on television. The PowerNation consists of: Detroit Muscle, Engine Power, Truck Tech, Xtreme Off Road (XOR), PowerNation Daily, HorsePower, Muscle Item, Trucks!, and Xtreme 4x4

for a DD, I'd not overlook the 350 that's in it... but that's me. 400 lb/ft with a pretty mild bump stick.

Did you figure out what gear it's got yet?
            Last edited by Beagle; October 15, 2013, 12:52 PM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I have been "pro keep the engine that's in it in it" for this thread - swap trans only, or trans and axle.

doesn't 200r4 have a larger numerical 1st plus over drive - to make better use of highway gearing?
              No, the 700r4 has the low 1st. All things considered, my only complaint is that the car simply does not have the motive force necessary to get moving from idle very well. This is due to whatever the ridiculously tall rear gear is, but that delivers near idle performance at 60mph. A stock 200r4 and a 3.50 or so 8.5" 10-bolt would make the car much more drivable. A buddy of mine keeps saying to just find a 7.5" series 3 posi and gears instead of the 8.5" complete rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                Did you figure out what gear it's got yet?
                Nope. Need to either wire in the tach I have sitting on my workbench, or get the tires off the ground and count rotations.

Comment

I'm throwing in my bet that the current rear is a 2.30ish gearset.

Just to let you know, my '82 Grand Prix that originaly had a diesel in it also came with a 3.73 posi 7.5 rear. They are out there.

Its still a 7.5 though.
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by 1970camaroRS View Post
                    Nope. Need to either wire in the tach I have sitting on my workbench, or get the tires off the ground and count rotations.
                    I'd probably be the sick bastard who hazarded the smell, change the diff lube and count teeth. lol. Did you hunt down block numbers yet ? I know... I know... I'll go back in the shop now.

Comment

No, the 700r4 has the low 1st. All things considered, my only complaint is that the car simply does not have the motive force necessary to get moving from idle very well. This is due to whatever the ridiculously tall rear gear is, but that delivers near idle performance at 60mph. A stock 200r4 and a 3.50 or so 8.5" 10-bolt would make the car much more drivable. A buddy of mine keeps saying to just find a 7.5" series 3 posi and gears instead of the 8.5" complete rear.
                      does the 455 have accessories?

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                        does the 455 have accessories?
                        Yes, it's complete minus carb, but it's looking more like I will be keeping the 350.

Comment

headers, a performer, and a 252H or 260H comp cam would probably compliment the gears. Something that makes the most out of the likely sub 8.5 compression... I think it was 3.08 where they went to the 3 series carrier and the 3.07's will work in a 2 carrier?

Anyone? I forgot most of the GM stuff I ever knew.
                          Last edited by Beagle; October 15, 2013, 02:01 PM.

Comment

A stock 200r4 and a 3.50 or so 8.5" 10-bolt would make the car much more drivable. .
                            Like my plan for the OHC six engine in my Firebird. Ditch the ~3.08 gears and stick 4.56's and a 2004r transmission in it I think I'm just going to weld the spider gears rather than track down a Chevy 8.2" posi carrier though.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                              Any 2004r he finds will need serious new hard parts to live behind any mild or more big block build. Plus 2004r's have a crap valve body doesn't allow for automatic redline shift point tuning as simply as other automatics (like governor weights, etc), basically most will shift WOT at 5,000rpm (or less) regardless of the TV cable setting and a shift kit is needed to hold the gear longer manually...
                              you wouldn't want to rev an OLDs 455 past 5000 anyway, unless it has serious improvements to the oiling system. DAMHIK

Comment

I'm starting to stress out a bit over this. Now that I got the car and I've driven it a bit, I like it a lot more than I thought I would! Wish I wasn't getting layed-off and I could dump the money into it that it deserves. Also wish someone would show up with cash for my 6.0L so I can put that idea out of my mind. And that guys with 455s for sale would e-mail me back!

Current winning thought is installing the 6.0L with the exhaust manifolds I already have, a used dual plane intake and carb, a used MSD box, the TH400 with a 3000 stall and ratchet shift, and a used 8.5" 10-bolt rear. All I would need to do is come up with a fuel system.
                                Last edited by 1970camaroRS; October 16, 2013, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X