No announcement yet.

Anyone know scrap metal price in SoCal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know scrap metal price in SoCal?

I tried several times to look it up. (confusing links won't help this dumbass). THX.
    Last edited by groucho; October 13, 2013, 06:10 PM.
    STUGOTS

call the yard, they'll give you a quote, usually good for one day
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Their English is really poor. Been mis informed way too many times by them already
      Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      call the yard, they'll give you a quote, usually good for one day
      STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
        Their English is really poor. Been mis informed way too many times by them already
        Funny........might try the internet.

Here's a site lots of my buddies use around here.

Serving Alton, St. Louis, Belleville, and Edwardsville, Alton Materials is a one-stop shop for scrap metal recycling in Illinois and St. Louis.
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I don't think any of the yards around here are sophisticated enough to get their prices onto the internets.

que? quanto?
          My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            I don't think any of the yards around here are sophisticated enough to get their prices onto the internets.

que? quanto?
            Hit 1 for English
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

OK. Which one do you hit? Probably Juan, I'm thinkin'.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by danstokes View Post
                ok. Which one do you hit? Probably juan, i'm thinkin'.

Dan
                lmao!!!
                Thom

Comment

In On JUAN

Comment

I brought in an old washing machine, and three house ac compressors Saturday.

It sure pays to take stuff apart.

I removed the motors from everything, and pulled the compressors, and the cooling grids from the AC compressors, the rest was all sheet metal.

"shred metal" was going for $0.09 per pound.

I ended up getting about $175 for my trouble, it would have been more like $80 total if I did not separate the steel / copper / aluminum, take out the motors, etc.
                    Last edited by milner351; October 14, 2013, 10:46 AM.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post

"shred metal" was going for $0.09 per pound.

Cool. I guess I have 500(?) Lbs ($50). So, when the scrap guy comes and offers me less than 1/2 (I feel entitled to 1/2 each) and can tell him no. THX
                      STUGOTS

Comment

I've never known anyone who would normally pick up steel and share the payout, it just isn't enough. Any place I've ever worked (incl. my own), we gave 'em the steel in a barrel they bring back empty, and aluminum was per a price worked out. Stainless often not welcome, they don't want it mixed in, in any event. I gave a guy my own loaded trailer of iron to take in once when my truck was kaput and we worked out a good split but there was a crapload of it and that was unusual.

Otherwise I wait 'til I have a good pile built up to take in myself. It's kinda fun anyway, especially the places with crane magnets. I've seen an engine block hover in the air, up and down between the ground and magnet, until UP it went, blang!

Comment

My guess has it each of us ending up with $25 (3 days lunch $). I feel I'm entitled to "something" since I stock piled that ugly shit in my back yard for months waiting to have an ample amount. I coulda taken it all for myself, but I fear tearing a tire on someone elses piece of scrap at those dumpy yards. Cutting a tire ain't worth $50.
                          Originally posted by Loren View Post
                          I've never known anyone who would normally pick up steel and share the payout, it just isn't enough. Any place I've ever worked (incl. my own), we gave 'em the steel in a barrel they bring back empty, and aluminum was per a price worked out. Stainless often not welcome, they don't want it mixed in, in any event. I gave a guy my own loaded trailer of iron to take in once when my truck was kaput and we worked out a good split but there was a crapload of it and that was unusual.

Otherwise I wait 'til I have a good pile built up to take in myself. It's kinda fun anyway, especially the places with crane magnets. I've seen an engine block hover in the air, up and down between the ground and magnet, until UP it went, blang!
                          STUGOTS

Comment

It's definitely worth hauling your own steel/iron if you can fill up a one ton truck or a two or more ton trailer.
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

I took several tons when the trailer burned, but the rest of the time it seems I pay money to create scrap in my yard. I'm doing it wrong apparently.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X