Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (S//NP)Mandrel tubing source

Howdy,

So I'm in need of some piping for the custom intake I'm going to build for my Bonneville LSR motor. I need 2in mandrel bent, 18-16ga mild steel pipe, mid to large radius bends are fine. Plan is to take U-bends and chop them up with a band saw into 45 and 90 sections that are needed. It always seems cheaper to buy U's and chop them up and with a bandsaw this time I should be able to get clean and precise cuts vs. what I got on my exhaust with a chop saw.

So far looked at:
    Car parts for modern & classic cars. Jeep & truck accessories. Street performance & off-road parts. Mechanic tools & shop equipment. Free shipping on $99 orders.

SPD offers a complete line of exhaust components for Exhaust Fabricators ranging from Mandrel Bent Tubing, Mandrel Bends, CNC Header Flanges, Merge Collectors, Collector Flanges, Stainless Bellows, V-Band Clamps and Sealing Flanges, and Formed Collectors & Accessories.

Columbia River (Mandrel-Bends.com) looks to be the cheapest and on an intake I'm not terribly worried about the reputation for them to be "thin on the outside wall" that I've read about from people on the turboBuick board for building exhausts.
    As to why steel for the intake... Mainly because I can weld it myself, it's cheaper, and easier to make modifications on it. If I had a TIG, I'd make it in Al.

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Have you tried these guys?

Schoenfeld Headers is the world’s largest manufacturer of circle-track headers, but we specialize in a variety of high-quality exhaust parts, including turn-downs, extensions, tubing bends and elbows, race mufflers, insert mufflers, mandrel bends.

We used their kit for the headers on the 409.
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

$0.25 cheaper than Columbia River and in a wider radius too.

Knew it was worth asking!
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Might be worth looking at Speedway Motors. I think it's speedwaymotors.com but you can Google if that's wrong. They have TONS of stuff.

Dan

Comment

I use Mandrel-bends for all of my tubing purchases because they're very quick shipping, and once you're on their mailing list - they have great scratch and dent deals.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            Might be worth looking at Speedway Motors. I think it's speedwaymotors.com but you can Google if that's wrong. They have TONS of stuff.

Dan
            I just got their catalog.. wow. Never got that one before. My stainless j bends were "vibrant", maybe type the brand and see what cheaps up.

here is link to the source, but I did not click my way to process.
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 13, 2013, 09:21 PM.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

SPD puts out a nice product and they ship quick.
              Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

2" tubing is huge for an intake on a 3.0 liter ...You might want to add some smaller stuff to your list. BOSSMAN might have some input for this, but my thinking is your gonna lose power in any usable RPM range. Boost may overcome some of that, but my thought on boost is build the best NA motor you can then add boost. I'm not saying don't do it by any means, just thinking out loud. Good luck!
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

You might take a look at these guys. I haven't compared prices recently, but I still have these guys bookmarked from building my headers earlier this year.

Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                    2" tubing is huge for an intake on a 3.0 liter ...You might want to add some smaller stuff to your list. BOSSMAN might have some input for this, but my thinking is your gonna lose power in any usable RPM range. Boost may overcome some of that, but my thought on boost is build the best NA motor you can then add boost. I'm not saying don't do it by any means, just thinking out loud. Good luck!
                    Step headers maybe?
                    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                      Step headers maybe?
                      Monk,

This is the intake, headers are already admittedly too big to help reduce back pressure at high RPM. In either case a soft bottom end doesn't seem like a bad thing based on things I've read from current Bonneville racers and watching in car videos from Roadkill and other racers.
                      I've been debating back and forth on the tubing size for the intake. The 2in is based on the port size in the intake gaskets most commonly used on performance Buick V6 applications. It's very close in perimeter to 2in tubing's circumference. I have been thinking about going down to 1 7/8in tubing and using the extra space to fit the twin injectors into the port.
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                        Monk,

This is the intake, headers are already admittedly too big to help reduce back pressure at high RPM. In either case a soft bottom end doesn't seem like a bad thing based on things I've read from current Bonneville racers and watching in car videos from Roadkill and other racers.
                        I've been debating back and forth on the tubing size for the intake. The 2in is based on the port size in the intake gaskets most commonly used on performance Buick V6 applications. It's very close in perimeter to 2in tubing's circumference. I have been thinking about going down to 1 7/8in tubing and using the extra space to fit the twin injectors into the port.
                        Gotcha........
                        Thom

Comment

schedule 40 aluminum "1.5 inch nps".. 1.9 inch O.D.

that is where I am ending on my own 2.65 inch stroke. Read it all as two inch, but actual numbers are different. The velocity kept on a thicker gauge etc etc. alot of trial and error.

Just rambling, that is what the net is for.
                          Attached Files
                          Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                            Monk,

might be worth it to make a two piece intake, and one lower half with the 2" and another with the 1 7/8th
                            I'd think, and could be wrong, but I'd think it be better to make the lower end "soft" with turbo size or low rpm bleed off than with oversized intake ports , and ware you are jamming the air through the ports you don't really need the extra volume, you need air speed and it sized as close to the intake valve dia - stem I'd think would be the e ticket or the ports i.d. (in the heads)at it's smallest spot..
                            like I said at the start I could be totally off,

Comment

Working...
                            X