86 Thunderbird Build thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 86 Thunderbird Build thoughts

I am starting the project I will work on this winter and have too many ideas thought I would get some thoughts from others. The car is my 86 Thunderbird it was my first car and I have neglected it a long time with a couple false starts along the way. I had planned on it being a drag car but have other stuff that is fast in a strait line. It has a tube K member, coil over front struts and a fuel cell in trunk (that I wish I had not put in). I have a 4v 351c that will need some work if I use it, but I do have fox body headers and oil pan. I friend has a Mark 8 dohc motor I can get cheap. Here are my idea's give me your thoughts.

Pro Touring, Mark 8 engine Mustang 5 speed big brake kit for sn95 mustang. In short a late 90's cobra mustang in a Tbird body.

Stock Car look street car, 351c 4 or 5 speed trans 15x10 stock car wheels all the way around. Side exhaust, not sure on paint to go with it not sure I would do stickers graphics may just base colors of Bill Elliot Coors car.

Other thoughts?
    Here are some pics
    Attached Files

I vote stock car. Now as history should be correct, that may be a chassis that was hard and no computer? They changed steel for electronics. I have that year too, real bitch...could be anything. Not even the steering wheel could stay above the crystal oscillator in the ecu down below.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Mark 8, 5 speed, deeeeeeep gears, Drag Week.
      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Turbo 2.3, T5 and 7.5" rear axle. Only kidding, I like the Mark VIII DOHC and 5 speed.
        Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

do, whatever will get you using it.. not something that force it to linger again..
          only you can answer that.. but while we are all spending your money..
          why not a 2013 mustang engine either from a wreck or a crate, wow that was easy to spend your money..

Comment

I kinda like the BBR plan. A lot of the Mark mills were the "Teksid" blocks right? 4.88's fit in an 8.8 ... 4.30's might be a little more street friendly.

Who's K-member? Can you get different mounts ?
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Looks cool. Id rock it as is.

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                do, whatever will get you using it.. not something that force it to linger again..
                only you can answer that.. but while we are all spending your money..
                why not a 2013 mustang engine either from a wreck or a crate, wow that was easy to spend your money..
                Good point, If funds permit a new 5.0 would be sweet. A mark 8 is so crazy cheap that it seems like a good option. I am looking forward to driving it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                  I kinda like the BBR plan. A lot of the Mark mills were the "Teksid" blocks right? 4.88's fit in an 8.8 ... 4.30's might be a little more street friendly.

Who's K-member? Can you get different mounts ?
                  It's a AJE along with there A arms and QA1 coil overs up front. The rear is a moser 9 inch right now, but I also have a 87 tc 8.8 with 3.55 gears and want to save the 9 for a future project as it is not needed on this. I can get mounts for sbf bbf mod ls sbc bbc and 2.3 for this K member. I am not planning this as a drag week car already have one of those.

Comment

6.0 or 5.3 ?

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                      6.0 or 5.3 ?
                      why would he want to fu* it all up with an ugly as sin LS? I'm worried about you. I expected BBC... LS? Gawd. Might have well have said 2JZ.

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Make it a fast daily driver,that works in turns and at the straights.Low with 18 inch wheels.Get the right wheels,and some better stiffer suspension components,and more engine..manual trans.Lots of cheap used mustang parts out there.

Comment

I think a TBird version of BBRs Mustang would be bitchin.

The only part of the Mark engine worth keeping is the Teksid block. Way too much of a science fair project.
                          I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                            6.0 or 5.3 ?
                            Not for me but don't hate on those that swap them into foxes

Comment

I'd do the 4.6/5spd/corner carver route.
                              Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Working...
                              X