No announcement yet.

86 Thunderbird Build thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you ditch the clevo idea - I'm starting to think you'd be better off finding a wrecked manual trans mustang that still runs, and just swapping everything over, engine, trans, wiring, computer, and axle? (if it's not bent in the wreck)
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Was looking at a wrecked 01 cobra on ebay had the same idea.

Comment

Here's a complete set up engine / trans / wiring / computer - $1500 - grand blanc

There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Anderson View Post
          A couple of trans options, a top loader uses the same bellhousing as a tremec so not huge deal to do a cable clutch and there is a fox top loader shifter out there. Hanlon out of PA. makes adapter front plate for 3650 out of a 00-04 mustang to use a tremec type bellhousing. Or I could go with some sort t5 basted trans. No real cheap solutions to this that will hold up well.
          re: Tremec, the older ones afaik are the same mounting as a toploader with a different depth. If you put a 3550 on a toploader bell, you need a spacer is what I've seen and seem to remember. SROD sbf bell will put a Tremec at the right length out from the pilot. The guys going to 6 speeds will be a potential source for a TKO? I found an old one with low hours for pretty cheap. If they were on street tires, they'll tolerate a lot. The SROD bell is cable I think. It wouldn't be all that hard to go hydraulic if you want.

/edit - hell, if you just want it running, find a big block (big input shaft) 3 speed toploader. It's a pretty small car for a 351 anything.

/more edit - does it already have a clutch pedal?
          Last edited by Beagle; October 17, 2013, 12:17 PM.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I'm very interested in a "vintage" 15" wheel and tire combination. Thought about doing the same on a Mustang.

Race style wheel, gumball tire with big "GOODYEAR" stenciled on the side.

Of course you have to get the body - wheel lip relationship correct.
            I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
              re: Tremec, the older ones afaik are the same mounting as a toploader with a different depth. If you put a 3550 on a toploader bell, you need a spacer is what I've seen and seem to remember. SROD sbf bell will put a Tremec at the right length out from the pilot. The guys going to 6 speeds will be a potential source for a TKO? I found an old one with low hours for pretty cheap. If they were on street tires, they'll tolerate a lot. The SROD bell is cable I think. It wouldn't be all that hard to go hydraulic if you want.

/edit - hell, if you just want it running, find a big block (big input shaft) 3 speed toploader. It's a pretty small car for a 351 anything.

/more edit - does it already have a clutch pedal?
              Thanks I had forgoten about the Srod bell fitting a top loader. There is no clutch pedal in car it was a 5.0 aod car. I have a clutch pedal in my turbo coupe prts car but it is hydrolic. I will get a cable clutch pedal from a fox stang.

Comment

I had forgoten American Racer makes DOT legal circle track tires http://www.americanraceronline.com/r...passenger.html

Comment

Working...
                X