Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How's this for a new kind of drag race event?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How's this for a new kind of drag race event?

How about this, put them on a road course with a long enough front straight. Have them stop at the front straight and make a 1/4 mile pass vs whoever ends up next to you. Loser goes home. To keep it interesting and keep the pace up, a Geo Metro with 600lbs of extra weight in it will be running full tilt at the back of the pack. Get passed by the Metro, you're out. Of course the Metro will have to stop and wait when everyone is lined up to make their 1/4 mile pass and will be WAY behind when the last pair runs. With a big enough field, this could go more than 50 laps. Another rule would be while you're waiting in line to make a pass, no turning off your motor. Car stops running, you're out.
    1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
    1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

Races are 6 hours

Enduros are 24 hours

How about a $500 limit for the car? "24 Hours of Dragging Tail" ;D
      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I think Lohnes elimination concept works. The theory of Texas Hold 'em is that the ever rising blinds force out the short stacks. This idea of losing the slow cars and the low laps cars does the same thing. I know this will piss off some but I would allow only drag race tires, radials and bias plys, to avoid chewing up the surface and keep things moving and working well.

I would also have more serious tech as the brutality of multiple passes will test marginal set ups and I don't want to be next to the classic "accident waiting to happen" POS when it crosses the centerline. Regardless of where this is run the ET cutoff can be high because the slow cars and the extreme sandbaggers will be winowed out early.

If you get 100 to start I'd be amazed if the rules are clear. But, given the elimination format you can start with way more cars, 200-300 maybe? The key will be the formula. Someone much smarter than I am can run some scenarios. I lean towards the time based set up where at a certain break there is an all call to lanes and the low laps, low ET average are culled.

I'd do a one shot qualifying round and stage the cars for the first round by low ET knowing that a few rounds into the competion the inability to hot lap will kill the fastest, prep intensive stuff. Might be good to renumber by qualifying ET low to high. Just go around into lanes time and time again. Pit road speeds strictly enforced to avoid pit side passing attempts. Speeding = DQ.

It would look like True Street without the 30 mile drive. I think the reality is very few cars can hot lap and keep moving in staging lanes without overheating or failing to start after 4, 5 7, 10 whatever laps. Oh, and no maintenance in lanes, add fuel in pits, change tire pressure in the pits, do what ever in the pits, In lanes you're in the car, belted in, suited up, no pit monkeys. Enduro indeed.

Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

My C-10 is perfect for this. It runs 180 all day, is flatout reliable, consistent, (my last 5 passes were within a tenth of each other) and the 12.50 cutoff is fine too, I'm knocking on that door now and have tuning left to do. If this happens and it's not too far away, I will be there. The only part I don't like is the tire restriction. I use M/T DOT type tires, I'm sure radials wouldn't mix too well with my truck.

Comment

I like Brian's idea of no-qualifying, and culling the slowest 25% at given times throughout the day. It's perfect, because it makes sure that everyone is hustling the entire time and not sandbagging, plus imagine how big a thrash it will be at the end. All the fasest cars will be hot-lapping like a mother! I think you'd need a rule that everyone must make at least one pass an hour. Pretty easy to keep track with a run card.

Comment

Dave, the run card idea works, but the computer doesn't lie.

If we can have one tower employee monitoring the print outs from the timing system it's a pretty tamper proof way to keep the # of runs in check. I'm sure whatever track this is held at will have a competant computer op that won't be screwing up the data entry portion of the thing. Also, a Compulink system will actully tell you how many runs an individual car has made through the course of an event if configured to do so.

I'd say the one pass an hour rule is definitely needed BUT it needs to be instituted in a way that makes sense with car count. Not that it'll happen, but if 300 cars show up to this thing one run an hour to start will be about the limit. Once the first cut it made, I think that rule comes into effect.

That will need to be manually policed though. That'll require special attention in the tower to compare run times. Again, maybe two people to start, then one person can manage it from there.

Man this seems like it would be a HOOT!

Brian

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                I'm sure whatever track this is held at will have a competant computer op that won't be screwing up the data entry portion of the thing.
                That's something I never count on. You've seen why.

Comment

Victory from the jaws of defeat that day!

;D

Brian

Comment

And several others. At one track, I had to show them that the timers do not start when the green light comes on. Guys who redlit were cutting like .08 60-foot times.

Comment

• Re: How's this for a new kind of drag race event?

Sweet mother of mercy.

Brian

Comment

Less severe but similar are tracks with wildly different roll out form one lane to the other other. A couple of us built roll out gauges (round plywood circle with a big hand) back in the day to check. Bracket racing with slow cars what fun!
                        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

How about staggered roll out. I was getting better ET's in one lane than the other. Checked it out and the roll out in one lane was noticably offset from the other lanes.

I know about the short roll out too. I've made hundreds of passes and only had a handfull of redlights ever. At one track one day I got 4 of 'em. I asked them to check the roll out, they said it was fine, I said it wasn't, go check it. They did, and it was off by a few inches.

Comment

Working...
                          X