Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible fly in - drive it home road trip.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hemi Joel
    replied
    Originally posted by antmnte View Post
    WOW! Jeez, you're a lucky guy!
    You aren't kidding!

Thanks for all the great offers to help and suggestions.

So here's the scoop: I bought the car, but the awesome road trip home is not to be.
    I bought a round trip ticket to fly there early this morning, then home tonight. I needed to see the car with my own eyes before paying, and the return flight could get me home if the deal fell though.
    I figured that if I was reasonably certain in the ability of the car to make it home with little or no problem, I would drive it home. This was the option i was really hoping for. I brought a fuel pump, some wire, tape, tools, etc in my carry-on bag.
    But I also figured I would fly back home if I thought the car was unreliable.
    And that is what happened, there was an occasional stumble with the car where the engine would cut out for a half second, then come right back running perfect. I think it is in the ignition primary circuit, and we worked on it for a couple hours and test drove it, but it only got more frequent with more driving.
    Intermittent electrical glitches take patience to find, so I gave up for the time being and flew home. This is just not a car I want to drive into to a likely breakdown out of town at dark thirty, and I can only swing 2 days off work this week. I'll have to go back with my trailer later.

It is really a sweet car. Mostly a survivor with original interior, top, driveline, part of the paint. One of 17 Hemi GTX converts built in 67, and one of ten know to still exist. You guys know how much I love Hemis and GTX's, so this for me is the ultimate Mopar. I' m really enthused about it!

Leave a comment:

• SpiderGearsMan
    replied
    Set the the lash to 0.030"

Leave a comment:

• BOOOGHAR
    replied
    holy crap thats nice ! great score !

Leave a comment:

• antmnte
    replied
    WOW! Jeez, you're a lucky guy! Enjoy it!

Leave a comment:

• knuckledragger
    replied
    Just saw the pic.One of my favorite body styles.I helped a friend rescue a 67gtx out of a backyard about 20 yrs ago and have liked them ever since.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied
    Oh HELL yes! Congrats!

Going out, wrenching on, and driving my wrecker home was the best thing I have ever done, bar none. Big time fun and a little bit of nervousness makes it a memorable deal. Hey, I deemed the wrecker un-roadworthy the second I laid eyes on it but the thing chugged home and I didn't kill a busload of nuns or anything! (mainly because the truck is too slow to catch a busload of nuns).

Congrats!

Brian

Leave a comment:

• knuckledragger
    replied
    [QUOTE=BOOOGHAR;817495]i have people all over texas, if you need anything, lemmie know, there are 3 guys in the Austin area that troll the pages here, 1 of them has an auto repair shop with a lift and im sure would be able to help if needed.
    Yep,be glad too.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    Awesome!

Leave a comment:

• 68scott385
    replied
    shaZAM

Leave a comment:

• Hemi Joel
    replied

67 GTX Hemi vert numbers matching survivor.
    I'm at the airport, can't drive it home, but I got it! More later

Leave a comment:

• Huskinhano
    replied
    Originally posted by Racingcritters View Post
    Need a trunk monkey?
    LMAO! That was great.

Joel, don't forget to take lots of pictures on your trip!

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    I think you can put just about any tool you want in your checked luggage.

I second the holley rebuild kit - or at least bowl gaskets a few jets and at least one 6.5 power valve.

Leave a comment:

• Jimsc52
    replied
    Sounds like a fun adventure. If you drive it home hopefully there's no snow awaiting you (it's in the forecast I heard) and be safe...

Leave a comment:

• Racingcritters
    replied
    Need a trunk monkey?

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Hemi Joel View Post
    3/8 hose is a good idea, and I think I'll bring a fuel pump. Plus a AAA card. What tools if any are prohibted in a carry on bag at the airport?
    I shipped tools and plates to the seller when I picked up my Nova from AZ. The plates were from my other 74 Nova.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X