Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible fly in - drive it home road trip.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huskinhano
    replied
    HFs are all over the place if you need cheap tools. Good luck on the trip!

Leave a comment:

• Grumpy
    replied
    I think most DMV's will issue a "drive away" permit for a minimal fee as long as you show proof of title.

Leave a comment:

• oletrux4evr
    replied
    Drive it! (Unless you're gonna make it a museum piece).

Leave a comment:

• SpiderGearsMan
    replied
    tow it

Leave a comment:

• Monk
    replied
    Might put your route out to the group here.........lots of guys that might
    help out in a pinch.

Good luck

Leave a comment:

• Hemi Joel
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Copeland View Post
    When you get home it will be part of the family, or "For Sale".
    THis is a keeper for sure, if it checks out. I can't spill the beans yet, but it is a hard to find car.

Leave a comment:

• Hemi Joel
    replied
    the cheap tool kit is a good idea.

I searched the web and found that tools up to 7"long are allowed. if its not a knife

Leave a comment:

• Mike Copeland
    replied
    I have done the fly / buy / drive thing a few times. It is always an adventure, and a great way to start with a new car. When you get home it will be part of the family, or "For Sale".

I sold one to a guy that did exactly that. No tools, no map, and very little extra money. He paid me and asked which direction to Chicago. He called me that night to tell me he made it without issue. He called the next night as he was driving across Nebraska at 85 mph to tell me how much fun he was having. He sent me a photo of the truck parked in front of Devils Peak on the third day, and a note that he was home on day 4. That was more than 5 years ago, and he still owns it.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    Originally posted by Hemi Joel View Post
    What tools if any are prohibted in a carry on bag at the airport?
    probably anything that could be considered useful. I like Randal's idea of buying a cheap took kit when you get there. save yourself some (snap!) exam time at the airport

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    Originally posted by Hemi Joel View Post
    3/8 hose is a good idea, and I think I'll bring a fuel pump. Plus a AAA card. What tools if any are prohibted in a carry on bag at the airport?
    I brought a vacuum gauge and that was about it**. When I bought each car I stopped at a local parts store and picked up a gallon of coolant, three quarts of oil, duct tape, the cheapest hand tool kit that came with screw drivers and went from there hitting parts stores as things cropped up. The only thing that side lined me for a tow so far was a freeze plug ditching out on me 1800 miles into the trip in the middle of no-where Wyoming (in 20*F weather).

I used the vacuum gauge to check the general "health" of the engine when running.

**I may of brought a pair of vise grips too....
    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; October 15, 2013, 02:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BOOOGHAR
    replied
    i have people all over texas, if you need anything, lemmie know, there are 3 guys in the Austin area that troll the pages here, 1 of them has an auto repair shop with a lift and im sure would be able to help if needed

Leave a comment:

• Hemi Joel
    replied
    3/8 hose is a good idea, and I think I'll bring a fuel pump. Plus a AAA card. What tools if any are prohibted in a carry on bag at the airport?

Leave a comment:

• BKBridges
    replied
    A good tool kit, a couple of fuel filters and some 3/8" hose, hand cleaner and rags. And lots of dough for gas...If its got a Holley on it Id bring some bowl gaskets along as well. Sounds like fun!
    BKB

Leave a comment:

• antmnte
    replied
    That would be so cool to do! (fly in ,drive home) its on my bucket list.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Barlow
    replied
    Indiana gives you 30 days. Just slap on the plate that you "plan on transferring over to it" to keep most of the cops of your back. My friend totaled a 2008 ShelbyGT 500 (with me in it) that he got out of state and had 9 days (with out calling his insurance agent and they covered it no problem. They did make him go ahead and register it (and pay all Indiana taxes first though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X