Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible fly in - drive it home road trip.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible fly in - drive it home road trip.

I'm flying to texas to look at a car, a super rare hemi powered mopar. I got a round trip ticket. If I get the car and deem it roadworthy, I'll drive it home to minnesota. If it looks like it won't make it, I'll have to fly home then come back with a trailer. It has barely been driven since 2001, so there could be issues with the new poison fuel eating up the gas hose and the fuel pump diafram, dried out wheel bearing grease, etc.
    I'm hoping to make a deal and have a great road trip adventure. Only time will tell...

Good luck! I've done it twice, though without getting a round trip ticket. Both times the drives home were less than smooth But at the same time both seller's assured me the cars ran and drove fine. Which they both mostly did =P
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I have barely driven our 54 chevy since 2004, it's no hemi mopar - but I have not had any fuel related or grease in the wheel bearings related issues.

Sounds like a great adventure - I'm guessing there are enough heartland banshifters along the way to help you out if the need arrises.

It may be cheaper to rent a uhaul truck and trailer if there is a need part way home than drive a truck and trailer for the full round trip?

I was horrified to see the carburetor off the muscle truck LS of frieburgers on a recent roadkill episode after sitting for two years
      - they must use really nasty stuff in the fuel in Californikstan - that thing was green inside from the fuel line down!

I have replaced small engine fuel lines and primer bulbs but not had issues with boats or cars from fuel / storage.

Try not to re-create vanishing point OK? LOL
      Last edited by milner351; October 15, 2013, 11:27 AM.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Sounds like the makings of a great trip........hemi powered?......depending the rear gear
        bring lots of gas money

Oh......and we need lots of pics
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I've always wondered what guys do for ins and reg when bought out of state. I can see calling your ins agent for coverage but reg? Just drive it with no plates? If I sold a car I would not leave the plates on unless it was a friend.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I drove the Firebird from Alabama to Nevada without plates on it. Sweated a few times when highway patrol was behind me but none pulled me over. Generally, a recently dated bill of sale will get you two weeks at minimum with insurance and registration. Of course I'd never want to test that theory in an accident or such, but I think that is how CA and NV registration code is written and my insurance will cover what I am driving.

Comment

I minnesota, the plate always goes with the car. I'll have to ask the seller what they do in TX before I go. Maybe a bil of slae taped in the back window would suffice.

I'll fr sure post pics weather I get it or not.

Comment

CA is the same way. NV and AL want the seller to keep the plate.

Comment

In Texas you can keep your plate, and I would (no offense, just business). What part of Texas is it in? We haven't had bad fuel problems in Dallas until this year. I've bought some in Houston, on the other hand, that has gone bad in six months... that's been going on for a few years.

Good luck on your adventure!
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

the seller just texted he's keeping his plates. Central TX, but the drive home will be who knows what kind of gas.

Comment

Arizona lets you buy a drive-out plate and print it at any computer that's connected to the internet. tape it on the car, drive away. Cheap, legal. YOu need an insurance policy on something else (binder) to be legal, though.
                      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Allstate covers me on any new purchase for 30 days automatically, so did Progressive when I had a full coverage car with them. I don't remember if they did that on my liability only policy.

/edit - yeah, "Binder"... doh. That thingy.
                        Last edited by Beagle; October 15, 2013, 12:22 PM.
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Indiana gives you 30 days. Just slap on the plate that you "plan on transferring over to it" to keep most of the cops of your back. My friend totaled a 2008 ShelbyGT 500 (with me in it) that he got out of state and had 9 days (with out calling his insurance agent and they covered it no problem. They did make him go ahead and register it (and pay all Indiana taxes first though.
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

That would be so cool to do! (fly in ,drive home) its on my bucket list.

Comment

A good tool kit, a couple of fuel filters and some 3/8" hose, hand cleaner and rags. And lots of dough for gas...If its got a Holley on it Id bring some bowl gaskets along as well. Sounds like fun!
                              BKB
                              www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                              Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Working...
                              X