Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advance Auto Parts Buys out CarQuest

Rest In peace ...more chinese parts on the mktplace

RICHMOND, Va. — Advance Auto Parts said Wednesday it is buying General Parts International Inc. for $2.04 billion in cash, which the companies say will create the biggest automotive replacement parts provider in North America.

As part of the transaction targeted to close by late 2013 or early 2014, Advance Auto will get 1,246 company operated stores and 1,418 independently owned Carquest locations. Its shares soared in premarket trading.

The Roanoke, Va., seller of auto parts and batteries currently operates more than 4,015 stores in the U.S., Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. General Parts is a privately held distributor and supplier of original equipment and aftermarket replacement products for commercial markets operating under the Carquest and Worldpac brands. The combined company will be based in Roanoke, Va., and continue to have a presence in Raleigh, N.C.
    Last edited by SpiderGearsMan; October 17, 2013, 08:02 AM.

I hope it goes unchanged. CARQUEST has an old school clever about universal.. you don't need the year of your car, or model.. just the damn part. My brother in law was a manager at Advanced. Strange store, cannot do anything about it. Its as if to be based on screaming hondas. My saubaru likes a part once and awhile, the universal ricer gimmicks dangling on the shelves...but not much. I hope carquests approach goes unchanged, they got a lot of years. Locally even had a machine shop for years, built right in. Else, there is still NAPA. Still not as smart as carquest has been in a lot of ways.

Advanced is blind as parts America, starting off with the 15 year old girl gone hot rodder mentality:

Advance Auto said the General Parts purchase will hugely increase its customer reach from coast-to-coast in North America, where parts sales have slipped as more Americans buy new cars.
    my guess: Napa gets bigger. Fairy talers, they fairy tale.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 17, 2013, 09:37 AM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I like going into a carquest, it seems like there are some guys behind the counter who have some knowledge and experience at working on cars. I hate going into Advance, the counter chicks can do a good job running the computer, but you can't talk motorhead stuff and expect an answer. (no offense intended to the motor head chicks on this site!) Probably all the old boys at Carquest will lose their jobs and a bunch of lower paids will get hired. I do like buying off of Advances website, then I can usually save at least 20%, choose my own parts of the web, and pick it up at the local store or have it shipped here. Too bad their web site is almost as bad as Hot rods....
      Last edited by Hemi Joel; October 17, 2013, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Should be interesting for sure, the biggest thing is over half the Carquest stores are independently owned so what do they do with that? What do they do in a town where there is an independent Carquest and an Advance? Supposedly all the Carquest stores will go unchanged and keep on running but only time will tell. The biggest reason Advance bought Carquest was for their commercial business. Like the heavy duty parts such as big equipment, big trucks etc. And Carquest owned World Pac, a HUGE seller of factory import parts. I should mention, I own a Carquest store, so its been a very interesting few days because no one really knows anything. We know what we've been told, but we were also told six months ago the company wasn't for sell.
        2013- Murphy, NC Road Side Fan Between Chattanooga & Charlotte 2014- Charlotte-Knoxville-Charleston: 2013 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

I sure hope Carquest survives more or less as we've known it. We have at least 3 Advance stores in town and a really nice Carquest on the same street as 2 of the Advance stores. Seems like that strip is overpopulated with big box parts stores as it is (there are also 3 Auto Zones). I'd often use the Carquest because they actually KNOW something.

We'll see where this goes.

Dan

Comment

CQ has been good to me. I've been doing business with my local guys for over 20 years ... they treat me as a commercial account and pick up/deliver to my casa .... Hope mine isn't affected.
            Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

now if napa would buy advance maybe we could end all this ...

Comment

I heard this was happening months ago. I hope they dont replace car quest filters which are made by Wix to some cheap chinese crap ones.

Comment

I was just at Carquest 2 weeks ago picking up a pair of rotors and pads for my Frestar. It was a refreshing experience from the most parts stores...too bad.
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

My brother-inlaw runs the machine shop at the local CarQuest. I need to go see him tomorrow anyway, so I'll see what he knows. And Advance has a store across the street.

Comment

CarQuest and NAPA were the stores Dad hit when I was growing up(could send me as a pre-teen on my bike up to the parts store, hand them the list and cash, correct change back and precisely what he wanted)...he'd bitch up a storm if he had to go to "that *******'ed Nationwise full of idiots"....LMAO

CQ has a distribution center about 5-6 miles from me, and a retail storefront by the road....looks like another option is likely gone.

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte View Post
                        I heard this was happening months ago. I hope they dont replace car quest filters which are made by Wix to some cheap chinese crap ones.
                        I don't think they will. Alot of why the bought the company was to sell brands like Wix etc who have a huge place in the heavy duty market.
                        2013- Murphy, NC Road Side Fan Between Chattanooga & Charlotte 2014- Charlotte-Knoxville-Charleston: 2013 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

I'm not worried yet.
                          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Talked to my brother-inlaw today. They were told it was for the commercial business and the experiance of the personell (counter people). Also this makes them the largest parts retailer, overtaking Autozone. Once again, just what they were told.

Comment

Working...
                            X