Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the fastest "Homebuilt" street car out there? No shop ownersor buyers allowed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the fastest "Homebuilt" street car out there? No shop ownersor buyers allowed

Looking at all these fastest street car list, I was wondering who has the fastest homebuilt street car.
    There are a lot of buyers/customers and auto shop owners/employee cars on those list, but I am interested in people who have jobs outside of the automotive field who built their own car.
    I am thinking machine work, welding and maybe paint as the exceptions but most of the other work (75%) done by you. Not very scientific but you get the point.
    I am looking at the difference of a carpenter, trashman or doctor vs. a race shop owner or moneyman buying his way in. Neither way is wrong. I just think they are a little more interesting as budgets and time are tighter.
    What do you have?

YEAH ME TOO

Dave Marcis was the last Winston Cup Driver who built his own WINNING engine 1982 !

Comment

To name the fastest would bring another strain to the masters of it. Buying parts is never a maximum. I'd vote for a formal name like steve morris or nelson outcome, custom, do what the maximum can and sell it. One would have to be in their own formula for camshaft and air fuel like them. Once and awhile a manufacture ships something that should have stayed racing timing (Japanese is still the notorious rebel for shipping screamers), but America doing the same thing is indeed the worlds fastest. There is even American side porsche builders doing unbelievable...with 2 to 3 liters. There is some ford gt projects, no fame..in the maximum. The best is silent..more legend than witnessing. Drag week has been awesome to watch.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Going to be hard to tell, because there are lots of very fast cars that never get taken to a strip. They dont want anyone knowing what the number is, and most of these guys build it themselves. All of mine are street cars first, race second, and the only thing I farm out is machine work. Its just a hobby for me but due to my budget I am nowhere near the fastest anything. Someday perhaps.

People will be limited by the chassis when you get going faster than 7.50 because of the safety requirements, most people cant build something legal in their garage.

Comment

Larson built his car, he owns a shop. Does that count him out?? I guess so since Moran built his motor.. Will be hard to find someone that build the chassis, engine, etc. without some sort of argument that he did not "build" this or that.

If someone built their car, but put a crate motor in it, does that DQ them? Or if their buddy "helped" him build it.
          Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Yes
            the trans is different , but most checkbook jockeys are big fans of crate engines

Comment

we could all argue ourselves the fastest.. no shop owning or machining? we would hit the same dead end. There is funny combos, to be called hillbilly. 305 h.o. heads on a 350 is painfully powerful. I remember a dodge caravan with a monster turbo slapped on. the greatest at home and fastest has got to be the mustang.. to be a realist in answering.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

this argument will get pretty silly very quickly. How many guys put their own cam bearings in?

I mean, I know ol Jimbo up there still pours his own babbit and all, but...

On the other hand, I have seen sites with lists and scanned time slips. That'd be kinda cool if the honor system was honored.
                Last edited by Beagle; October 19, 2013, 04:37 PM.
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

building the motor is the best part

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                    building the motor is the best part
                    I bet some guys LIKE transmissions...

Comment

I looked through all of the cars on this site and it seems like ALL of them were store bought. Hmmmm....

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                        I bet some guys LIKE transmissions...
                        Who likes trannies?
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                          I looked through all of the cars on this site and it seems like ALL of them were store bought. Hmmmm....
                          Not mine, mostly home built in my two car garage. Built my chassis, tacked it all together but had the finish welding done by others. Had a bubby help with the final body work and then he sprayed it in my garage. Short block and trans were built for me.
                          Turbo piping was built and tacked up by me and then tig welded by others.

Comment

Do I get DQ'd if I used a JY motor and did NOT go through it before dropping it in? I do have plans to go through it at a later date when parts and money are accumulated but for now it runs decently enough for what I want to do. Is it fast? No. How slow is it? IDK
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

I'm sayin if it has a label and your last name ain't Oldsmobile, then it's storebought.

Comment

Working...
                              X