Storied College Football Rivalries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storied College Football Rivalries

Watching the USC/ Notre Dame game tonight. The announcers have been saying it's the most storied rivalry in college football. Of course, they are trying to keep people interested in the game. TV ratings selling ads and all that. But, are they the most?

I am no football historian. I barely watch five games a year. Just don't have the patience anymore. But, I was thinking there are far more storied......maybe more historical. Michigan vs. Ohio State, maybe even Texas vs Texas A&M. Being from Nebraska, we always talk about the game against Oklahoma......or, the game we used to have. Nebraska changing divisions through a big hair monkey in that wrench.

Like I said, I am no expert, but would like to hear what the bigger fans say.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

I'm watching too Scott, and never knew about the rivalry. Of course I think PSU v Michigan, ND, or OSU is a bigger deal. It's all hype. any alum from USC or ND Im sure would agree its a big deal. The game has been good so far, and Silas the Sell Out is losing so I'm happy.
    Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

NBC signed a long term deal with Notre Dame for airing games years ago. This is one they get decent ratings on.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

OUvsTexas aka the red river rivalry,, its always a big game...

Comment

Originally posted by bulletproof View Post
          OUvsTexas aka the red river rivalry,, its always a big game...
          In Texas, football is near religion.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I don't watch anymore. .but rivalry used to be much closer. location reference. I am thinking boston and.. notre dame was one. Whatever announcers announce.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Lots of storied rivalries here in the deep south. Biggest would be the Iron Bowl - Alabama vs Auburn, then there's Georgia vs Florida, played in Jacksonville each year, Tennessee vs Alabama - played on the third Saturday in October, LSU vs Ole Miss, Georgia vs Clemson and Georgia vs Georgia Tech. I love college football
              Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
              The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Originally posted by SSChevyManiac View Post
                I'm watching too Scott, and never knew about the rivalry. Of course I think PSU v Michigan, ND, or OSU is a bigger deal. It's all hype. any alum from USC or ND Im sure would agree its a big deal. The game has been good so far, and Silas the Sell Out is losing so I'm happy.
                Silas the Sell Out, I like that. That's ok though, I think we're doing better with what we've got now than if he stayed.

Comment

Zwinack shows the kind of football I learned to love when I started watching Penn State. I love that power run it up the gut style game. I'm not huge on football in general, but I like college a whole bunch after going to PSU. I'm not crazy over the whole fast paced offense and 5 WR sets. But hey whatever works. Take the names off the jerseys for me too.
                  Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I don't follow pro, and never followed college until I went to Penn State. And after I graduated, I haven't followed college all that much, but still watch or listen to the PSU games at least. I usually have no idea if whoever we're playing is good or not until after the game these days. I agree with your take on the jerseys too.

Comment

If you were at UP we were probably there together.
                      Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
                        Lots of storied rivalries here in the deep south. Biggest would be the Iron Bowl - Alabama vs Auburn, then there's Georgia vs Florida, played in Jacksonville each year, Tennessee vs Alabama - played on the third Saturday in October, LSU vs Ole Miss, Georgia vs Clemson and Georgia vs Georgia Tech. I love college football
                        Yep, there it is Dave. What you said. Every bit of it. Too bad a few or more than a few Alabama fans have YouTubed their way into redneck infamy in the process.

I woulda never known had I not been there, and the press doesn't play it up so much, but Michigan fans hate Notre Dame more than anything I've ever seen. Not just un-fans, not just dislike, I mean downright hatred. Seems Notre Dame's decades of Golden Child TV money was maybe the original slap in Michigan's face.
                        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Only game I go out of my way to watch, and awesome for its rivalry is Army/Navy. Big family bragging rights are on the line there.

Comment

Couldn't care less about football,but boy LSU/Arkansas has turned into a huge rivalry. Both of my fist cousin's sons are married to Louisiana girls. I have to bite my tongue a LOT during football season.

Texas/Arkansas used to be BIG back in the day too.
                            sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

Originally posted by SSChevyManiac View Post
                              If you were at UP we were probably there together.
                              I think we were

Comment

Working...
                              X