critique my tin cans engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• critique my tin cans engine

I found a video from 2007, watched it.. forgot I added a 2011 compare, so this evening with yet another engine build since then, I added 2013.

Anything to notice? aside from the title, that should be six years, not four.

2007- original tiny cams, tiny intake, hitachi carb. Solid Lifters
    2011 - same as above, but with spfi cams (typically used for injection)
    2013 - equal header, Rochester carb, spfi intake, hydraulic lifters, optical distributor and digital ignition box...and 100cpi catalyst convertor, etc etc (long list of chores)

my own thoughts.. I think I made it as fast as it would go in the second clip.. built for speed, and no other details to sustain. that is the lesson I guess. the third clip is the same speed...with a whole lot more chores done.. cooling, exhaust, ignition, air fuel.. on and on. Live and learn. Anyone can build for speed...but there is more miles than one..

To narrow it down.. cams do everything. that first engine was 9.0 to 1 tiny carb. the third engine was 10.2. Same speed.. all by cams.

The chores pile on fast after the big cam. Fun at first..
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 20, 2013, 05:58 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

pistons should not fight each other
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 20, 2013, 06:25 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      pistons should not fight each other
      no doubt. The original build was just that. Subaru still plays with that today on the turbo engines. A boxer wants to dump and run. Subaru will not let it. Once and a great while I hear a rally built version where they caught onto the crazy cams and fixed it. It should sound like a big buzzing bee if all four are timed in working together.

I have a broken piston as an ash tray to remind me. That came from the second engine in the clip. Ashame about the vids, I dove right in.. even spent the average 400 bucks. Hardly effective. Real life says it all. That web cam recording of the glasspack was about as real world as I ever got...going on 7 years ago.

It used to be a very arrogant sounding little buggy. About like an STI today.

I also tried to get the moon again this evening.
      also ridiculous.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 20, 2013, 07:00 PM.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

There's nothing that can't be fixed with a OM617.

Last edited by Beagle; October 20, 2013, 07:21 PM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
          There's nothing that can't be fixed with a OM617.

I still look at maine craigslist often. There must have been a coastal cult of Mercedes...still find them.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
          X