Help valuing a car- 64 pontiac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help valuing a car- 64 pontiac

Friend of mine is looking over a car over the next couple days to be put up for sale. He and his people arent much for classics, so he asked me to help put a value on it. heres details-
    1964 pontiac catalina
    hydramatic/389 2 barrel
    1 owner (passed, son is selling)
    44k original, never left georgia
    been repainted original color
    apparently has every available option
    has every document and build sheet

Ill post more later today when he shakes it down

edit:
    up on the lift now.
    -Speedo seal leaking
    -rear main seeping
    -valve cover seeps, and trans pan. so lots of oil leaks
    -all 4 brake adjuster plugs missing
    -needs all new tires

but the good
    -solid (see pics
    -AC works
    -practically new frontend

see more photos below

Last edited by RustyRodder; October 22, 2013, 11:58 AM.
    Local person
    sigpic

Haggerty has a valuation tool. Probably a good place to start. Average price for a #3 car looks to be around $4200. Getting an appraisal wouldn't be a bad idea. I've had several of mine appraised.

Comment

Sweet old car. They're only worth a couple of hundred. I'll be right over to pick it up.......

BTW - I think that one will have the Roto-Hydro trans with stump-puller first gear. Correct me if I'm wrong here. I never fully understood the theory behind using a super low first in a car with an engine that makes enough torque to twist the a$$ off an elephant.

Dan

Comment

The big rearend !!

Comment

ebay completed listings

Comment

updated the first post. awaiting a pic of the build sheet/window sticker
            Local person
            sigpic

Comment

looks like a ROTOMATIC

Comment

Sweet car. I hope he has better luck selling than I've had with our '54.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  Sweet old car. They're only worth a couple of hundred. I'll be right over to pick it up.......

BTW - I think that one will have the Roto-Hydro trans with stump-puller first gear. Correct me if I'm wrong here. I never fully understood the theory behind using a super low first in a car with an engine that makes enough torque to twist the a$$ off an elephant.

Dan
                  bop combos. I think they used a letter S for second, and it did not act like second, it acted like the top gear in a 2 speed powerglide. Oil leaks you described is that generation with the first half mile out of a new car lot. GM took nearly 50 years to get that right. I'd call it a $10k car.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dan
                    I'll give you $300 - get that eyesore out of your yard
                    You can thank me later (especially since I'm saving you from that low-baller Dan)
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Got a door plate tonight, getting window sticker tomorrow. I already threw a 3k offer out there, no response yet.
                      Local person
                      sigpic

Comment

Change the stance and put some torque thrusts on it and its rockin! I love those,great car!

Comment

I'd probably entertain 3-3500 for an offer, reject it if I was the seller.

Rear tires show how bad the front end was. They normally don't go that wrong in 44k miles. Rubber mat and buckets? Weird. Where the hell is the brake booster?
                          Last edited by Beagle; October 23, 2013, 05:33 AM.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Rough versions look like they've sold on ebay for $4-5k. This one is straight clean and unmolested. The nice 389 2bbl catalinas on ebay look like they hit 10k pretty easy.

A 421 car would probably be worth more than my house.
                            Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Working...
                            X